Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.7L High Performance Exhaust option use with PPI Heat Exchangers??

Hey All,

Looking to upgrade my exhaust system from straight headers to SSI heat exchangers (I live in Colorado, and drive all year long).

Looking for any other exhaust recommendations to increase performance and use with heat exchangers. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Last edited by mikewerx; 02-04-2020 at 06:43 AM..
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I think you are referring to SSI heat exchangers.
Headers are where the power comes from, the muffler's job is to retain as much power and add as little weight as possible while giving a more quiet and pleasing exhaust note. Big task. Muffler choice depends on a host of things such as how loud you want it, what tailpipe look you are after and how light you want it to be. We offer a host of options to meet these requirements.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Brian I have SSIs and your MK GT3 muffler on my 2.7 RS spec Motor. Are there any HP numbers on how much of a gain there is from using your muffler on a 2.7?
Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Muffler choice varies with engine size, modifications, and noise tolerance/desires

This is a hotly debated subject and preferences vary widely. Additionally, most experts opine that drone, tone, noise level, raspiness, burble and effect on the torque curve vary significantly, depending on engine size, and level of modifications.
This issue is not just specific to Porsche but applies to all internal combustion engines.
The guys on the Volkswagen, Toyota and Ferrari forums all face the same issue.
You must decide on what sound you like, (or what the passenger will tolerate), or put it on a dyno, pay the money to let the tecs develop the best hp/torque for you, noise/sound be damned, or compromise.
With my stock 74 2.7, I said "fug it", I'm 71 and want to let it rip, so I got a M&K 2 in 2 out sport and will deal with it when I get it back together.

Have a nice day
:-)
chris
Old 02-03-2020, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I couldn’t be happier with my SSI/M&K 2-1 combo. I had a Dansk 2-2 I was planning on using and got the M&K as part of a deal with a set of SSI’s. Once I had the two side by side I was amazed how light the M&K muffler was. Anything you can do to save weight behind the rear wheels shouldn’t be passed up.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

And for what it’s worth, the M&K is a beautiful piece...an important trait to consider if it is sitting around the house waiting to be installed and you happened to be married.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Brian I have SSIs and your MK GT3 muffler on my 2.7 RS spec Motor. Are there any HP numbers on how much of a gain there is from using your muffler on a 2.7?
How much power is being gained or lost depends on what you are comparing it to. Our standard sport mufflers are designed for use with engines sized up to about a 964 3.6L in stock form or about 250HP. M&K will out perform an OEM muffler, those numbers getting higher as the engine displacement goes up and the OEM muffler becomes more restrictive.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I think you are referring to SSI heat exchangers.
Headers are where the power comes from, the muffler's job is to retain as much power and add as little weight as possible while giving a more quiet and pleasing exhaust note. Big task. Muffler choice depends on a host of things such as how loud you want it, what tailpipe look you are after and how light you want it to be. We offer a host of options to meet these requirements.
Hey Brian, Thanks for the info and correction of my fat fingering. So right now it's a hopped up 2.7L , but need to put on SSI (or some) heat exchangers to get heat back into the car. Which exhaust would you recommend from your assortment for the best performance?
Old 02-04-2020, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a set of SSI's to a "free flow".
Secondaries were changed to 2.5".
Running into separate 2.5" 18" glass packs.
A bit loud but rev's up quite nice

Old 02-04-2020, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
2.7 , exhaust , heat exchangers , muffler , ppi