Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Windshield Seal Install Question

I had a shop replace my windshield. I noticed when I got home the top of the seal is not fully seated. You can see also the inside lip did not fully grab the inside. I feel like I could have someone press the top of the windshield while I pry out the lip on the inside. But maybe I’m wrong and it has to be removed and reset. If that’s the case it’s going back to the shop. I’m just trying to save myself the trip. Anyone have this issue?

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You could use a plastic trim hook (not sharp) to pull while someone puts pressure from the outside. Start at the point where it is currently hooked over the body edge and work your way over. It may be easier to start at the side and work your way to the top also. How far over and down the side does it not seal? Don't apply to much pressure or you risk cracking it. I'm happily surprised it did not pop out on you on the way back home.
1978 Targa - 1980 3.0; Carrera intake; Megasquirt 2; EDIS ignition; 22/28 mm torsion bars and late Carrera sway bars; Carrera front brakes. Targa top rebuild in 2017. Suspension rebuild in 2019. Needs new paint and interior carpets.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

is the windshield oem or aftermarket? reason i am asking is because when i bought my car years ago, it had an aftermarket windshield. it was an abortion. the seal did not fit the because the windshield curvature was wrong, so the seal couldn't grab or seat properly. Whoever put it in tried to use urethane black sealant in the space in the curved corners of the windshield to seal the gap. It didn't work, when it rained, it leaked into the car. I had it replaced with a oem windshield and new seal.
Lost 2.7l engine #6141641, drop me a line if you find it.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Windshield Seal Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwil View Post
You could use a plastic trim hook (not sharp) to pull while someone puts pressure from the outside. Start at the point where it is currently hooked over the body edge and work your way over. It may be easier to start at the side and work your way to the top also. How far over and down the side does it not seal? Don't apply to much pressure or you risk cracking it. I'm happily surprised it did not pop out on you on the way back home.

It’s probably about 12” in the center of the windshield. It’s only at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin48061 View Post
is the windshield oem or aftermarket? reason i am asking is because when i bought my car years ago, it had an aftermarket windshield. it was an abortion. the seal did not fit the because the windshield curvature was wrong, so the seal couldn't grab or seat properly. Whoever put it in tried to use urethane black sealant in the space in the curved corners of the windshield to seal the gap. It didn't work, when it rained, it leaked into the car. I had it replaced with a oem windshield and new seal.

It’s the one from Sierra madre. I thought it was a sigla brand but I don’t see a label. So maybe it is aftermarket.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-20-2020, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You should be able to hook it over with some pressure from the outside. If it works great, if not the you'll have to have it redone.
1978 Targa - 1980 3.0; Carrera intake; Megasquirt 2; EDIS ignition; 22/28 mm torsion bars and late Carrera sway bars; Carrera front brakes. Targa top rebuild in 2017. Suspension rebuild in 2019. Needs new paint and interior carpets.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Home Depot - Hook and Pick Set by Milwaukee. Use the top right angle pick carefully. You could file the point to avoid damage. See image below.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwil View Post
Home Depot - Hook and Pick Set by Milwaukee. Use the top right angle pick carefully. You could file the point to avoid damage. See image below.

I have a set like that and some plastic trim tools that may work too. I’ll give it a try.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Let us know how it works out. Best of luck!
Old 05-20-2020, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
My advice for what it's worth,
Bring it back and tell the shop that installed it to fix it. The issue you have should be relatively easy to fix with, as you said, someone pushing down slightly on the outside while you slide a tool in behind the seal an then pull it along. If you're going to do it yourself, I'd spray it with some soapy water or even some windshield cleaner spray to help the tool slide and to help the seal slip past the metal lip and into place. But again, you paid for a proper installation. I'd let the company that did the install fix it.

I can't believe a pro would let that leave their shop with what in your picture appears like a gap between the seal and the outer frame. Nothing says "done by a pro" like a nice gap that leaks.

Last edited by cabmando; 05-21-2020 at 02:16 AM..
Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
My advice for what it's worth,
Bring it back and tell the shop that installed it to fix it. The issue you have should be relatively easy to fix with, as you said, someone pushing down slightly on the outside while you slide a tool in behind the seal an then pull it along. If you're going to do it yourself, I'd spray it with some soapy water or even some windshield cleaner spray to help the tool slide and to help the seal slip past the metal lip and into place. But again, you paid for a proper installation. I'd let the company that did the install fix it.

I can't believe a pro would let that leave their shop with what in your picture appears like a gap between the seal and the outer frame. Nothing says "done by a pro" like a nice gap that leaks.

It was kind of disappointing especially considering the cost. I emailed them this morning. The truth is if this is an easy fix I’d rather do it myself than go through the hassle of having to drop it off and pick it up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-21-2020, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Titanium User

Who let the car leave the shop like that? Hope you don't go back for anything else.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Was the seal Porsche brand or aftermarket?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro '84 Coupe View Post
Was the seal Porsche brand or aftermarket?

Porsche seal.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 05-21-2020, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well there goes my theory haha. The shop should make it right then. Sometimes there is a gap in the corners that needs to be adjusted after install but I don't think I've seen a bad fit at the top like that with the Porsche seal.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Careful on what you attempt; if you screw up ANYTHING, your chances of getting the shop to address the issue appropriately go down considerably.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbita1 View Post
It was kind of disappointing especially considering the cost. I emailed them this morning. The truth is if this is an easy fix I’d rather do it myself than go through the hassle of having to drop it off and pick it up again.

I know it will be a pain to bring it back in but don't let them off the hook man. Nothing burns me more than having to check over the work of a person that is supposed to be a professional in their field. Took a car to a detail shop the other day. Owner keeps asking me to look the car over and make sure it's satisfactory. I told him "You're the professional. I shouldn't be able to find anything that you haven't already addressed and if I do, I just won't bring the car back to you for the next detail"

People just don't seem to have the attention to detail that they should have. It's just "get it in and get it out" and that really burns me.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

The old maxim "if you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself" always applies. Bring it back, they will probably fLck something else up and deny it.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Post some pics of the seal where it seats along the bottom of the window. From my experience this area is much more problematic than the upper section. Because of the narrow space between the dash and the seal, it is much more difficult to evaluate this area since the interface between the seal lip and the body can't be seen directly. The seal itself should form a nice concave transition from the valance panel to the windshield glass. if it is convex at all it is a sign that it didn't seat correctly there either.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

The aftermarket windshields are the issue. The seal in some areas only barely lips over the metal.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: