Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
side marker light stopped working- driver side

85 911

not the bulb,
not the socket...I connected both bulb and socket from driver side onto the pass side and they worked fine. Nothing works on Driver side

tested power and ground with a circuit tester... I got a faint light reading when touching driver side marker ground wire. seems there is a grounding issue.(?)

Anyone know where this marker is ground? at the bumper or much farther into the car?
where can I trace it to?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Ground from run marker if at bumper location first goes to the turn lamp common ground and then into the headlight bucket and connects to a common ground there.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Can the ground be reached if I remove the headlight? Going to check fuses.. haven’t done that... didn’t know there are separate fuses for these lights.

Last edited by jgurnari; 12-15-2020 at 04:15 PM..
Old 12-15-2020, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Check fuses first, ground actually routes back from lamp to headlight housing and then to the post with battery negative cable at body.
If fuses are good and all other lights working normally, I’d be checking the 2 jumper wires between the signal housing and running light housing first, then work back.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Light.

PM me for the factory circuit diagram as needed.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Corrosion between the brass strap and bulb base is the usual ground issue. Stupid design.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 12-16-2020, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Mine looks brand new.. also I did a circuit test and got nothing from the power wire and a faint reading from the ground wire.... when I tested directly to the negative on the battery I got a Bright bulb reading. That’s why I believe it’s a loose ground. That Make sense?
I will add, I took off the bad side “socket” and bulb and tried them on the opposite, passenger, side and it worked. Nothing wrong with the bulb or “fixture”

Last edited by jgurnari; 12-16-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Canít find same socket or housing as mine. 85 911

Photo is the only side marker socket I found BUT MINE is different. It’s all brass as mentioned by John Walker’s workshop. I can not find the same side marker housing either. Anyone have a different socket from the photo like my all brass one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
Corrosion between the brass strap and bulb base is the usual ground issue. Stupid design.

Last edited by jgurnari; 12-16-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Is the side marker you are referencing in the fender at mid-height, or in the bumper?
Maybe post a photo of what you are working with. If in the fender then ignore my comments about wiring in the headlight bucket.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Photo of side marker

This is the side maker that is not working.. tested it is getting no power and a faint ground reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Is the side marker you are referencing in the fender at mid-height, or in the bumper?
Maybe post a photo of what you are working with. If in the fender then ignore my comments about wiring in the headlight bucket.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Where does the ground go?

Trying to follow the ground.. anyone know where it leads and where its grounded?! I canít seem to get into the space to trace it. Left front parking marker light 85 911
Thanks
Old 12-17-2020, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Both the ground and the power are daisy chained from the front marker/turn signal assembly. If the front assembly is working, you probably just have a loose connection to the side marker. See photo below.

PS...I assume you know that the bulb holder must be held in by the little brass strap that provides the ground, right?

2017 Chevy Silverado K1500.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
I gave you the path for ground earlier.
That housing to the one beside it, then to the headlight bucket, then to the ground stud in the trunk where the battery negative goes.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dennis, you had mentioned in previous ad to disregard what you said about going into the headlight bucket. Should I take out the headlight to access the wiring? Or the battery to find the wire coming into the trunk? Yes I do know the socket clips under the arm. Thanks

Last edited by jgurnari; 12-17-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-17-2020, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
I said to disregard if you were dealing with the fender mounted lamp.

If the adjacent turn signal blinker is working normally, the ground is good from the headlight bucket.your problem is likely between the signal and run housing wiring.

There are 2 wires coming from the blinker housing to the running lamp housing in a sheath. They mount on the back of the signal housing.
The 2 white wires in the photo John posted above go to them on the inside of the signal housing, those 2 terminals then go through to the outside for the run lamp wires to connect to.

Check it all for continuity. (Both wires and terminals)

Last edited by timmy2; 12-17-2020 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you Dennis. I will pull the headlight and check it out.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Don't do that! You'll create in-necessary work. Give me 30 minutes and I'll post some photos that should help and make this easy.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Ok...so, first I'm assuming that the front marker that is adjacent to the side marker that is not working, is working. If so, the problem exists in the short wiring from the front to the side marker. First, take off the front marker lens. Then, referring to the first photo below, unscrew the screw that holds in the reflector/bulb assembly and gently pry it forward. Don't get too aggressive since the wires are short and ideally you'd like to not disturb them. As Dennis noted and I was trying to illustrate with the photo in my earlier post, the power and ground to the side marker is via two wires connected to the spade connectors that go through the front marker housing. Check that these, as well as all connections in the front marker, are clean, tight, and intact. If they are and you still have the problem, you'll need to check the connections on the back side of the front marker as shown in the second photo. You may have to do this by feel, working from under the car, but you should be able to do it. The problem almost has to be in one of those connections. PM me if necessary. I am in Houston as well.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Connections came off

Too late! I pulled the headlight, but glad I did found some shabby wires.
I have another question.. after playing around with the wires the side maker wires have disconnected from the back of the blinker housing... maybe that is why it wasnít working properly... question is , is the top connector on the blinker housing ground or power. Mine housing seem to be little different than yours in pictures.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSIII View Post
Ok...so, first I'm assuming that the front marker that is adjacent to the side marker that is not working, is working. If so, the problem exists in the short wiring from the front to the side marker. First, take off the front marker lens. Then, referring to the first photo below, unscrew the screw that holds in the reflector/bulb assembly and gently pry it forward. Don't get too aggressive since the wires are short and ideally you'd like to not disturb them. As Dennis noted and I was trying to illustrate with the photo in my earlier post, the power and ground to the side marker is via two wires connected to the spade connectors that go through the front marker housing. Check that these, as well as all connections in the front marker, are clean, tight, and intact. If they are and you still have the problem, you'll need to check the connections on the back side of the front marker as shown in the second photo. You may have to do this by feel, working from under the car, but you should be able to do it. The problem almost has to be in one of those connections. PM me if necessary. I am in Houston as well.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

On mine, the top is power and the bottom is ground. Looking back up at post 12, you can see the brown wire is daisy chained to the bottom spade connector.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
ground wire , side marker