Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
needed to do a little garage security tonite.......

a couple months ago someone threw a brick through the pass window of my turbo omni..........so i put it in one of my garages next to the 911 (9-car garage, 3 are mine)...
last night i hear glass break out back, go check it out and someone threw a brick through one of the windows......LUCKILY it was in the door next to my 3 and was an empty garage..........****** kids
wow.....starting to sound like my dad LOL

so tonite i brought home some 3/4"particle board and have backed up the black painted glass with it.
no more concern for rampant brick throwers
i'm going to replace the 3/4" with sheet metal before spring as the door has gained noticable weight

felt like sharing

Old 12-30-2003, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yep--kids are dumb but some take it to another level. Here in Omaha the police recently put caught a few members of the BKC--Bridge Killing Crew (as they call themselves). They threw large stones over overpass bridges and killed 1 person here and injured several others. Can you imagine how a 10lb rock coming through your windshield while you're driving 50mph feels like? I hope they are severely punished but I think they're all under 18 and won't get much.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
very tragic stuff with the bridges, i'm always carefull when i see someone above.

the back parking lot at my apt is completely visable from my kitchen/bedroom, as a result i've personally caught and got convicted some stupid people messing with cars in our lot, the brick through the omni window was the only time i was ever the "victim" in 4+ years (knock on wood )
Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Hook up a high speed camera, a buzzer, and a spotlight to a motion detector if it gets necessary.
If ya catch one of 'em, hang him by the thumbs for a couple days. His parent probably wouldn't want him back anyways.

editosted at same time. Those million candle power spotlights are only $15 and keep a video camera ready to go by the window so there's no question later on when the parents are taken to court.

Last edited by john70t; 12-30-2003 at 04:52 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It's happened to many of us. I went out a couple of weeks ago to get the paper and some SOB had thrown a rock through the back windshield. Five other cars in the neighborhood were also hit. The only good thing about it was that my 2 911's were in the garage safe.......they hit my P.O.S Pontiac Grand Prix (company car)

Last edited by 88 Club Sport; 12-30-2003 at 04:55 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
i've been thinking of running cameras from my window (attatched outside though) and using my computer for monitoring/recording (wayne mentioned an interesting product in another thread).
i currently have an IR setup i rigged so i can send audio to the stereo in the garage.....took a while to get it running but it's pretty neat
Old 12-30-2003, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Certified Pre-Owned

If ya wanna see the idiots that come to the door selling things jump...before you open the door hit the start button on your tape recorder...of course you have sound track of a German Shepard barking all ballistic like... and pipe it at just the right volume through a p.a. speaker stuck in the bushes facing the idiot's back. Watch them go 2 feet of the ground and do a 180 real fast, kinda entertaining when viewed through the peep hole...

I would imagine you could do the same with your garage and a motion sensor...at least they won't hang around and will always wonder IF there really is a dog in there...
Old 12-30-2003, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This sounds like a job for Leland!
Old 12-30-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

I have a 101# dobie. He can keep anything he can find out in the yard.

Seriously, however, I have no windows in the garage. I have fiberglas in the gable ends for light. If I had windows in a garage, I would find some way to replace them with lexan if I had to keep them. I keep all Porsche stuff out of sight.

I have motion dectectors on the garage and the back porch.

Buddy the dog is not on a leash at night.

David Duffield
Old 12-30-2003, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

Buddy the dog on the leash!

Old 12-30-2003, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by old_porsche
I have a 101# dobie. He can keep anything he can find out in the yard.

Buddy the dog is not on a leash at night.

David Duffield
old_porsche-

I couldn't agree more, with our two Dobes (pictured below this past summer) and now weighing in at 90+ & 80+ (and not quite a year old yet ), we no longer get door to door panhandlers, sales persons, or stray kids wanting a little mischief.

Old 12-30-2003, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
A old buddy of mine once had a rattlesnake...it died...but he kept the rattle.
I mounted it on a old bell type dorr chime...glued the rattle to the clanger.
He installed it in the shop (paint shop) with a simple door magnet switch.
If someone tried the door...the rattle would fire up and scare the h*ll out of them.
He kept the ruse going by swearing loudly when entering in the mornings...people though that the old box at the end of the shop was where the snake was during the day...and let out at night!
For more than 10 years...not a single break in.
Sign on door "Guard Snake on Duty".
Bob
Old 12-30-2003, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Jeez, I feel for you guys, I live in the middle of no where. I leave all my cars with the keys in them, (so I don't lose them) and the shop unlocked so I don't have to find the key. If I ever find any one gomping around out there, I'll stick the SKS out the window and empty the 30 round clip.
00 GMC Sierra

Last edited by toolman; 12-31-2003 at 12:48 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with you, toolman. That's the only sound they really understand.
A while back, we caught a perp helping himself to the contents of my boat on a trailer in the yard. I handcuffed him to a chain link fence in the alley. I have no idea how or when he got free, because I didn't care.
No trouble since.

'72 911E Coupe
Early "S" #1065
Old 12-30-2003, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
When I lived in Philadelphia I caught a kid trying to steal / rip my Thule roof rack off of my Jetta. He had severely dented my roof and destroyed one of the feet on the rack. Rather than call the cops I decided to exact a bit of my own street justice. Never had a problem again.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Detached Member

Try Lexan on the windows. I think I read on this BBS about someone who put Lexan in their store window and when the POS threw a brick at it, the brick bounced back and killed the guy
Old 12-31-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
if they ever break the existing glass i have i'll replace it with lexan.....being i rent i'm not going to go crazy, the wood behind the blacked out glass will keep me secure
Old 12-31-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
place claymore mines on the edge of the yard...no wait that would leave a mess to clean up.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 12-31-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
My mothers Church as having a problem with Bums ( PC / Homeless) sleeping on their walkways . The Groundskeeper rig up sprinklers aimed at the walkways to Motion detectors so that anyone who walked down the walkway during nonchurch hours got sprayed. Needless to say it worked well. Steve
Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

I keep a bat next to the door, when I hear something suspisious I go out with it in hand, but I'm usually too late cause my neighbor "Joey Boy" is out there first with his other weapon of choice....but you did'nt hear it from me.

Believe it or not, I live in a very quite upscale part of Brooklyn, with it's share of characters...not much happens around here.

Sometimes you got to scare the crap out of these punks and they might think twice the next time.

1985 M491
Old 12-31-2003, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: