Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
twin plugging with 964 distributor?

I may have a significant rise in my rebuild budget coming soon and was contemplating twin plugging my soon to be 2.4E motor. I have access to a cheap set of 10.5:1 84mm JE's and a 964 distributor. I would rather not have to fuss with timing if I don't have to so I was thinking about using one of these to create the timing curve.
http://store.yahoo.com/cranecams/tcu1timconfo.html
http://www.msdignition.com/tc_3.htm

Does anyone have any experience with timing computers? Or should I just go ahead and send the distributor off to Steve?

Those of you out there that have twinplugged with this distributor, how did you do it?

"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-02-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: twin plugging with 964 distributor?

Quote:
Originally posted by l33t9eek
Those of you out there that have twinplugged with this distributor, how did you do it?
Chris Bennett did it Maybe he will chime in
Old 01-02-2004, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I did it with a Motronic (3.2) setup which is a different animal.
-Chris
Old 01-02-2004, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On mine (3.2 Motronic)...

964 Distributor
Andial Ignition Splitter
Custom Chip

Don't forget the 964 Dizzy Vent....
Old 01-02-2004, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tim:

You'll need to install a 3.6 crank gear to match the pitch on the 3.6 dizzy and if you do not use crank triggering (ala Motronic), you'll need an SC dizzy as a donor for its trigger for the conversion.

I do think highly of the idea for best timing control by using a pair of MSD 6AL's and their timing computers. They will offer a greater range of timing adjustment than is possible to do by making the trigger plate adjustable, as we do during the conversion.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Steve,
Since the early distributors turn the same way as the early cars is it possible to just replace the distributor gear and leave the crank alone? I'd like to have my bottom end buttoned up by the time I learn if I can afford the twin plugging. I've compared a 2.7L dizzy gear and the 964 gear and they look VERY similar if not exactly alike. They are different in pitch or is the diameter of the crank gear different? From what I can tell from wayne's book the specs are exactly the same but the part #'s are different. I don't have a late crank gear to compare/use right now.

I'll be using MFI so I will definitly need some sort of timing curve device be it a Steve special or a timing computer.

Just trying to sort everything out before I jump in,
Tim
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi Tim:

The pitch of the crank and distributor drive gears on the 2.7 & 3.6 are different and if they do not match, you get a lot more backlash and major variations in timing.

Further, since the crank gear is bronze and the dizzy gear is steel, you will start seeing gold-colored motor oil,.......not a good thing. The crank gear wears out faster (something that usually lasts forever).
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 01-03-2004, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi Steve,

I'm trying to understand what you mean by "different pitch",
I'm looking at a 3.6 and a 2.4/2.7 distributors side by side.
The gears look the same, they have same number of teeths
and they look the same pitch. Should the difference be obvious?

This unit may have come from Andial as part of their upgrade
kit (signal splitter, lower covers,.... for the Carrera 84-89).
Does Andial change the gear on their twin distributor kit?

I'm building a high compression 2.7RS (very slow progress ).

Thanks,
Francois
Old 01-03-2004, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

I just wrote Steve (@Rennesport) about the same thing. He advised to change the stock drive gear on the 964 distributor to a 2.7 distributor drive gear. I have not checked the measurements however it would be easy chuck it accurately in a lathe to bore out the stem size or sleeve it as need be. Check out your Andial unit, it may have undergone this modification.

David Duffield

Last edited by Oldporsche; 01-03-2004 at 12:15 PM..
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Butch Stokes of Pembroke Pines S. Florida set up my car, although they may have not originally built it.
I know very little about the car and do not have it near me but have these pics if they are any help.
I believe I have 10:1 Cosworth pistons and Custom Crane Cam.
The distributors look like 964, maybe you can tell me if the vent is installed (easy to see?)
I am still trying to gather info on the car and build specs.
I hope the pics help.
Im afraid I do not know any other tech specs yet.
rgds Ben

1987 930 - sold 2018
Currently in-between 911's
Old 01-03-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: