Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
halfway there...rear deck alignment tricks?

OK, got the duck off the rear and have my original rear lid on. It is low on the upper right and shifted over to the right. Any tips/tricks on alignment? I suppose I can washer the right side up (between the arm and the lid). Also, the other thing I'm worried about is the latch alignment (ie not being able to open it back up). I dropped it and peeked to check and see if it was lined up...is that about all I can do?

Old 01-02-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used User

Washers are the hot tip. Other than that, you just have to wiggle it around in the opening until you average all the margins. Lastly, line up the latch.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
When I did mine... I used washers. Also, I disconnected the latch release cable to allow me to fully close the decklid and test fit the alignment. It takes all but two seconds to reattach the cable. Also, when you can fully close the lid, you can set the alignment as it will fit then slowly/carefully raise the lid to tighten the bolts.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Todd, the upper latch 'pin' can be shifted back and forth by loosening the two bolts. Put washers between the hinge and lid on the upper right.
Good luck,
Old 01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Go with the washers. The factory actually used rectangular shims.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
getting there

got the back on with a rough alignment, and the valence off. I tried to get the old thrashed valence back on for a temp fix, but I don't have the right hardware, and with the cooler up front it is really tight...since I've got to put another one up there anyway I don't think I want to go through it twice.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Check out Damon's response to my similiar question....

Targa deck lid question

Best,

1971 T Targa
Old 01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Todd,
I would probably be doing the same thing you are if this had all happened to me.
I like ducktails but it's pretty hard to improve on the classic lines of our 911's. And I know I would miss my 911SC badge as I'm not sure it would look right on the ducktail lid.

If you do the rubber lip on your valence you may still have a problem with your driveway but I think it's leading edge is further back than the valence your removing so it should pick up quicker with the front wheels.

The nice thing about the rubber lip is it's rubber and is fairly forgiving if you do stike it.
I put the tow hook enforcers on my SC and stike them once in a while. But I think some little wheels mounted on the tow hooks or? would be the best way to go.

You've got a nice SC by the way
Old 01-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Todd,
Why did you remove the Duck tail?
1983 911SC - Built July 1983 #2547 out of a total 2559 shiped to the US. in 1983. Could be the last U.S. production SC still running.
1995 BMW 525I
2001 Highlander- kid mover
Old 01-02-2004, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Car looks mucho better, IMO.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
retired, mostly

Another little trick:

loosen the bolts that hold the latch pin thingy a little, just enough to let it shift and align itself in the latch, then close it and open it. If everything works smooth, torque them down.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Mixed feelings...

I think it works either way, it is a great looking car.

How about trying out the duck on the 21st??
Old 01-02-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
I'm just going to go with stock valence, no front spoiler. With none on the rear, I don't *need* one up front. And as long as I stay at double digit speeds, I shouldn't notice a difference.

It will be interesting to feel though after I get the stock valence back on. It felt very planted on yesterday's ride, but it also had fresh turbo tie rod ends and align/corner balance.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think the 21st is going to work. In addition to work looking nuts this month, my toy budget is...how do you say..."tapped" for the next lotta months unless I manage to do some insurance magic. I think in a couple months I'll be able to work a track day.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If you decide to sell your Duct tail, let me know. I need to replace my rear lid.

1983 911SC - Built July 1983 #2547 out of a total 2559 shiped to the US. in 1983. Could be the last U.S. production SC still running.
1995 BMW 525I
2001 Highlander- kid mover
Old 01-02-2004, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: