Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Rolex 24 coverage

Is Speed Channel under 'team orders' to cover nothing but the Daytona Prototypes? Unless there is a crash, they haven't shown anything but...

After the fire and a technical penalty, The Racers Group starts in last place. We hear that they're already sixth in class only after Keven nearly stuffs it with a flat...

Last edited by Jamie79SC; 01-31-2004 at 03:43 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

POS Dunlops in GT... Their marketing people must be pulling their hair out
Old 01-31-2004, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice to see Hurley Haywood in first. Is that the same Brumos/Fabcar car from last year?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ditto on those Dunlops.

Here comes the rain.

The #33 Maserati is beautiful.

Tony Callas from Callas Rennsport is on the crew of the #00 SGS Cup car. Yeah boys, that's my wrench!

If I have to watch another Cadillac commercial.

Last edited by GrindingGears; 01-31-2004 at 11:27 AM..
Old 01-31-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Can someone explain to me the Porsche Fabcar relationship? I thought Porsche didn't participate in racing anymore, so where does the motor come from for these cars?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jack,

According to the the guys on Speed Channel, that is the car from last year.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes Jack, Haywood's car is the same chassis. Donohue's chassis is new, completed I think in October.
'13 Panamera GTS
PCA member Central Indiana
Old 01-31-2004, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Go Hurley !!!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

I just love the commentators comments about racing early in the event. Most of which were concerned about why the guys were pressing so hard at the first portion of the race.

My guess is they don't understand track position when the rain is only an hour or two away!

Now that the rain is here, look for things to start to get interesting.

David Duffield
Old 01-31-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

CDiercks- Fabcar built 2 or 3 IMSA Camel Lights cars powered by Porsche engines in the 80's, then they did the tub repair for Holbert and PMNA for the 962s'. After that, they built the last 12 or so 962 tubs for the factory after they ( the factory ) dropped their Group C support, I think that was about '88 or '89, when they were still in Atlanta. Dave Klym has always supported Independant Porsche teams.

As for Grand Am, this effort is not supported by the factory. Brumos purchases the GT3rs engines from PMNA and does the rebuilds, but it is not a factory support program. PMNA has latly held the stance that the onlt factory support would be in the GT series and not a prototype series, hopefully for the time being.

On a side note, when Snodgrass and the Brumos team introduced the car last year, it had 996 headlights and tail lights, as the DP rulebook states. Springer and the factory were very upset and did not want the idea that the factory was in support of this new prototype series. So Brumos purchased those headlight covers you sometimes see in Twe*ks and P*rformance Products and bonded them to the bodywork. By doing that, they stay within the rules by having the street car headlights and makes PNMA happy by making them harder to identify!
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 01-31-2004, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Go Paul Newman! 79 years young

Last edited by Jamie79SC; 01-31-2004 at 12:19 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Never seen so many 3-wheeled race cars!
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher

Last edited by techweenie; 01-31-2004 at 12:20 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Quote:
Originally posted by Weaver
CDiercks- Fabcar built 2 or 3 IMSA Camel Lights cars powered by Porsche engines in the 80's, then they did the tub repair for Holbert and PMNA for the 962s'. After that, they built the last 12 or so 962 tubs for the factory after they ( the factory ) dropped their Group C support, I think that was about '88 or '89, when they were still in Atlanta. Dave Klym has always supported Independant Porsche teams.

As for Grand Am, this effort is not supported by the factory. Brumos purchases the GT3rs engines from PMNA and does the rebuilds, but it is not a factory support program. PMNA has latly held the stance that the onlt factory support would be in the GT series and not a prototype series, hopefully for the time being.

On a side note, when Snodgrass and the Brumos team introduced the car last year, it had 996 headlights and tail lights, as the DP rulebook states. Springer and the factory were very upset and did not want the idea that the factory was in support of this new prototype series. So Brumos purchased those headlight covers you sometimes see in Twe*ks and P*rformance Products and bonded them to the bodywork. By doing that, they stay within the rules by having the street car headlights and makes PNMA happy by making them harder to identify!
Thanks for explaining that. I guess I should have known that since Fabcar is only a couple of miles from my house!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh yea! Me too. I didn't even see where you are from.
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

CDiericks- check for a PM
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 01-31-2004, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Took two nephews (age 8 and 10) out there this afternoon. More Porsches running that I expected (I'm here in Daytona Beach this race weekend almost by accident but am fitting the race in with my other business). We had a great time; two little wide eyed blonde boys (their ears stuffed with foam plugs) in tow is as good as having a VIP pass. They were very excited to be down on track level in the stands. In the garage area they were really impressed with the mechanics working on the front of a Porsche chassis with hammers, prybars and hydraulic pullers and pushers trying to fix collision damage. We left around 5pm when the rain began to really slow things down. I'll head back over later around midnight to see some night racing - a new experience for me. Cheers, Jim
Old 01-31-2004, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey guys

Gosh...it has been so long since I have posted..... been here reading though!
I agree....Dunlap sales reps must be besides themselves, with the number of right rears that have failed. Less later in the race though....perhaps because of lower temps 'cause of rain?

I just want to take a moment and give props to Paul Newman.
Seventy Nine (79) years old!!!! Holy Crap! He is amazing! .....OK so he lost 5 places in 2 laps of racing and spun out once......but hey, I can't race as well at 40yrs old! LOL

I am raising a St. Paulie Girl to Paul as we speak!

Regards to all!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I wanna hit some bars with Boris Said. His interviews are a riot... seems like he's living the good life.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

It's hard to believe they're still racing...
Old 01-31-2004, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt, jr in 1st place over all in a Chevy, could be my worst nightmare......the begining of the NASCAR take over of sports cars....

TRG is third in class.

only consolation is that there was a three hour red flag due to rain, so it was not a "real" 24 hr race

Jim

PS: I actually think this could be good for the sport, if Dale and company start racing sports cars, maybe some of the NASCAR $$$ will follow and improve the coverage and quality.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: