Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 SC Questions

I want to buy a 911 SC. What year is the best and easiest to smog? What is a good price? How are the targa tops on the targa models? What problems should I be looking out for?

Currently driving a half way restored 914 that is near reliable but I'd like something more year round driveable. Summers are too hot for the 914 and winters are a bit too chilly. Also 911 SC's are just sweet. I like the targa top on the 914, so I am used to leaks!!

Old 02-02-2004, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

The 79 has just become smog exempt in the states with a 25 year exemption. For $10K - $15k, you can find a good example. Do a search for buying an SC to find the specifics of what to look for. Overall, I think you'll be better off in the long run to pay more for a car with good maint history. Best of luck on the decision.

My 79-

Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mark, there is no mystery why you keep posting pics of your car. She is gorgeous. She's the sports car equivalent of....Cheryl Tiegs. Stunning. Breathtaking.

Calbrat, the earliest SCs are not becoming smog exempt since they are achieving 25 years of age. Also, early SCs have the more robust fuel and intake system, including larger intake ports, intake runners, etc. But they have lower compression pistons, than the later models. Late model P&Cs can be found easily, so for cheap you can probably make those early SCs give 215 hp. Or so.

On the other hand, later SCs had some improvements. Chain wheel carriers were re-engineered in about 1980. Steel injector lines are nice. etc.

SCs usually do not have trouble passing smog. Do your homework, spend a great deal of time shopping, and get a good deal on exactly the car you want. If I had it to do over, I'd be shopping for a car that has the upgrades I am currently wondering how to pay for. Suspension parts, race seats, etc.

And don't be thinking that you have your fun car (914) and that the SC will be the austere daily driver. Wrong. With all due respect to the 914, your 911 will become your "fun" car.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Super, I agree with the upgrades idea. I bought mine because it was 99% unmolested and that really appealed to me. Since I bought it, I've added a bigger oil cooler, short shift kit, pop-off valve, H4's and some other things. I also want to install hydrolic tensioners and some other goodies. So I'm spending the money now on what I may have been able to buy before already installed. But there's also something to be said on spending your time (and money) learning how to do these things
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So. Cal has the best weather for Targas. I'm always taking the top off or putting it on. The tops keep out the weather, but my rear seal is worn so that will need to be replaced. I get a little water a little now and then but it is fixable.

I have an 80' and its a pretty good year for the SCs. Most improvements were made for the 80's model. I haven't had any problem with smog.

911 Design
Parts Manager
Old 02-02-2004, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: 911 SC Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by calbrat
I want to buy a 911 SC.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong the 914 is fun and quite frankly is fantastic at autocross. However.....

Reliablity is key to me over extreme engine upgrades and eye candy. Obviously the paint and interior got to look great but I don't need a show car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
there are lots of threads on the issues of various incarnations. For SCs, look for a pop-off valve on the airbox and oil-fed chain tensioners. Unless you find a total garage queen, the clutch will have been replace, and you just need to make sure they didn't put a rubber-centered unit in. The other gotcha is head studs breaking. This can be checked when you get your pre-purchase inspection done, by pulling the valve covers and seeing if anything falls out. Unless the previous owner replaced the head studs, at some point one or more could break...no predicting, and no apparent pattern.

Other than that the cars are pretty robust, but given their age stuff wears out and has to be replaced. If you find one with an anal previous owner, you will likely have a stack of serviced records and a bunch of stuff fixed/replaced. That is the car to buy. If you get a nice shiny one with no history and don't get a ppi done by a good independent shop, you could be in for an expensive ride.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
What problems should I be looking out for?
Make sure the electricals are straight, sometimes previous owners leave little bird's nests from installing an alarm or a crazy sound system. The mixture can always be adjusted by your local shop with the proper tools so that it will pass emissions inspection. Try to get a SC that someone has put love and money into. All SC's are great sportscars and reliable as h8ll.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: