Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Rob, I'm curious about the aeroquip in the back ground. Did you do something different or just replumb stock?
Are you referring to the braided line lying on the 3.6? If so, that is actually a loose line not connected to anything. I believe that's the line that will hook from the engine to the front oil cooler thermostat in the wheel well.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Embs
Mike, I guess it is just personal preference. I had a cone at one time on my engine as well. I think the stock filters are way better than any aftermarket cone. IMO, a K&N filter ruined a Bultaco engine I had.

I have no interference with the airbox. It is however extremely tight.
Several people I spoke with, including my shop doing the installation (Powertech, in NJ) and Steve Weiner, suggested that the stock airbox is actually superior to the cone filters. I believe this is due to CFD considerations and also the fact that they are pulling air from a slightly cooler location. I modified a stock airbox lid to simulate the cup airbox lid. The Motorsports airbox lid I purchased from Embs is actually for a friend's 993.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I also prefer the stock air cleaners. An additional advantage is the intake is perfectly situated to get the coolest possible air.

On mine no mods were required above the sheetmetal to use Thom's tube, but the heat from the B&B/964 heat ducts necessitated some mods

The top piece where the tube connects to the engine needs to be swapped for the 964 equivalent piece
Old 02-08-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Forgot to add the part # for the 964 air duct(top piece)
964 106 403 01

~$35
Old 02-08-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Rob, your car rocks. I've never seen it in the area. I'm from Flemington and drive through L'vlle every time I go up there. I went to the Lawrenceville School too. I hope to see your car sometime, maybe at SP or a NJ event.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Richard, I'm around! My parents live between Ringoes & Sergentsville, so I'm actually in the Flemington area a fair amount, and often in this car during nice weather.

Last edited by MuffinMan; 02-08-2004 at 02:45 PM..
Old 02-08-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:

Did you manage to ditch the SAI?
Yes, it is gone. My shop removed the air pump system and plugged the holes.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The transmission rebuild continues:

Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Yes, it is gone. My shop removed the air pump system and plugged the holes
Good job! Have you thought about a trans cooler? I love spending someones elses $$
Old 02-09-2004, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Good job! Have you thought about a trans cooler? I love spending someones elses $$
I investigated it a bit and I'm going to see how hot it gets before I move forward. I'm a fan of the KISS approach, so if it runs cool enough without additional aids, I will leave it as-is.

A few of my friends recently took the Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods engine rebuilding and transmission class, and they came back with quite a bit of useful information. According to Jerry Woods, 915 transmissions can run relatively hot before the need for additional cooling arises. I'll have to check the notes, but I believe Jerry said you can run them as high as 270F before you need to worry about it. My shop (Powertech) concurred, and said to keep it under 280-300. Nevertheless, I'm going to measure the temperature at my first track event to see where I stand.

As far as spending money, I seem to be doing pretty well on my own right now
Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a good plan. As far as I know Jack is the only one that has actually installed a temp. gage on his trans, and monitored it. He has reported no problems in street use but some frightening #s on the track. I can't remember what they were but they were eye opening

I had a long conversation w/ Gary Fairbanks about this issue. He also felt that for most users the coolers are unnecessary. He desscribed it as a "hurricane of oil"

I fell into the camp that it couldn't hurt and it's only money

I'm interested in seeing how Steve's Giac chip performs. The Audi guys seem to like them alot.

Will you be able to have a useable diagnostic port?
Old 02-10-2004, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:

I had a long conversation w/ Gary Fairbanks about this issue. He also felt that for most users the coolers are unnecessary. He desscribed it as a "hurricane of oil"

I fell into the camp that it couldn't hurt and it's only money

I'm interested in seeing how Steve's Giac chip performs. The Audi guys seem to like them alot.

Will you be able to have a useable diagnostic port?
My shop said that the 915 actually holds a relatively consistent temperature after it gets hot. In other words, if you're running on the track and it's at 250F, you can pull into the pits and let the car sit there for a few minutes and it will still be at 250F (the case and everything). I have not done enough research to tell you how true that statement is, but his advice was to simply measure the transmission temperature with a pyrometer at the end of a run. I was planning on adding a temperature sensor to my transmission, but I decided against it based on that knowledge.

I am also extremely interested to see how Steve's chip performs. I get a very good feeling from him, and his advice has always been quite sound. My only regret is that I won't have any before/after data for comparison, so I won't truly know what the chip did for me. If there are any special graphs you would like to see, just let me know and I'll have them printed out. As you recall, I'll be using a Dynapack dynamometer for the analysis.

Also, I will have a usable diagnostic port.

Last edited by MuffinMan; 02-10-2004 at 06:52 AM..
Old 02-10-2004, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

That is one sweet setup! Have you figured out which way to go with the throttle cable set up?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

"I went with a US OBDII engine with the drive block disabled and mapping updated by Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems."

Can you explain what a "US OBDII" is? Also, what is meant by the "drive block (being) disabled?

By the way, I noticed that you are in Lawrenceville NJ and I'm just outside of Philadelphia and work in Princeton. Who's doing the install for you? and where did you find the motor? Thanks.

Don
Old 02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MuffinMan
Also, I will have a usable diagnostic port.

Details Please.....I fried a DME trying to hook a port up (I think I charged the "K" line..got my wires crossed (yes I am an idiot).

Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to dis the OBDII, sounds like your going to end up with a better package than any of the OBDI crowd!!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Ohhhh is that a cool car Rob. Nicely done. I love Continental Orange #107. You have a hot rod that's just retro enough that it will be a sleeper! The ricers won't know what hit them. Very very nice job. Keep us posted!
02 CBR 954RR
98, 00, 03 sons
Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by code7rpd
That is one sweet setup! Have you figured out which way to go with the throttle cable set up?
For the throttle cable, my shop cuts a cable to the correct length and fabricates a little bracket. I can take a picture for you next time I'm at the shop.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dapplestein
"I went with a US OBDII engine with the drive block disabled and mapping updated by Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems."

Can you explain what a "US OBDII" is? Also, what is meant by the "drive block (being) disabled?

By the way, I noticed that you are in Lawrenceville NJ and I'm just outside of Philadelphia and work in Princeton. Who's doing the install for you? and where did you find the motor? Thanks.

Don
US=United States as opposed to RoW (Rest of World), or a european engine

OBDII refers to the computer system. OBD I is a more simple system and has socketed chips that are easy to swap in & out. OBD II is more complex, and you need to unsolder, program, and resolder the chip during to reprogram. This makes it more expensive and more difficult to change the computer mapping.

Drive block is the alarm system on 993s, which is incorporated into the computer. It ties into the other systems of the car, and it must be disabled in order to run the engine after a conversion.

There are many good sources for engines, but I ended up buying mine from LA Porsche due to their price, availability, and warranty. Powertech, in Rockaway, NJ, is doing the installation.

Last edited by MuffinMan; 02-10-2004 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Embs
Details Please.....I fried a DME trying to hook a port up (I think I charged the "K" line..got my wires crossed (yes I am an idiot).

Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to dis the OBDII, sounds like your going to end up with a better package than any of the OBDI crowd!!
I don't know if my setup will be better than OBDI, but it will certainly be a bit different. What sort of details are you looking for?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
There are several of us that would like to have a diagnostic port. AFIK only Moses has had one successfully installed and his shop apparantly doesn't wish to share the secret. You will be #2
Old 02-10-2004, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: