Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

Replace that clutch fork!? (G-50)

I know what the answer is, but never thought to find this! There is a hole in the casting when the metal has worn...past the normal contact surface.

Anyone find this before? Common?

Last edited by MotoSook; 04-18-2005 at 10:08 PM..
Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Rubber center clutched disk...

From the same car...

Rubber centered clutch disk to be replace by the Sach spring center disk.

90K+ miles and everything is dry! Will replace the rear seal anyhow since it's accessible. Don't want to have to go in there later. Flywheel is colored, but smooth...will lightly resurface and reuse..bad idea? Maybe, but I'll check it out first.

Yucky crud (it's thicker in person) on an otherwise very clean car....I'm sure the heat transfer was piss poor. The case will get cleaned to bare aluminum!

Last edited by MotoSook; 04-18-2005 at 10:01 PM..
Old 04-18-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Mines got 135k and no hole in the fork. Although the shaft bearing and throwout guide tube update was done at about 90, but I'm not sure this would have an effect. Also I've read that the G50 rubber center clutches were a solid item and didn't have the issues of the earlier rubber center cars. Are you thinking of spring centered for cost reasons or other?

Cheers,
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

The cross shaft was updated on this tranny. Don't know if it has anything to do with the wear, but the fork casting may have had an inclusion or void at the contact point which started the whole thing. The clutch was behaving funny when things got hot. So we're taking the safe route and replacing it.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Replace the Speed, TDC and Reference sensors while you're there.
Racer Rix Spec911.com #5 PRC Website
2005 Seal Grey 997 Carrera Coupe (Daily Driver)
1988 Venetian Blue Carrera (former Daily Driver)
1987 Venetian Blue Carrera Track Whore "Shellback Racing" (Porsche Racing Club Spec 911)
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Souk,

Flywheel is colored, but smooth...will lightly resurface and reuse..bad idea? Maybe, but I'll check it out first.

When I did my clutch/g50 update last year, the flywheel was smooth but discolored - like yours. Now that it's back together I get a slight clutch stutter, but only in reverse. I don't know if its the clutch or not. I don't feel it throught the pedal. I'm thinking it's the engine mounts getting soft, but it could be the clutch.

I'm going to replace the mounts after I get throught with a couple of other projects.

I would really go over well before you put it back in. If you reuse it, let me know if you get any stutter.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
When I did this job, I was told by several that G50 flywheels can't be resurfaced. I got a new one locally for around $210. To avoid digging into your new clutch fork, use a dab of moly grease on the slave push rod when you reinstall. Definitely do the cross shaft update.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

The tech info available says it's not re-surfacable. I'll check for thickness.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm planning on doing my clutch next month. My wrench said to look at the flywheel for glazing. If there is glazing, to hit it with a oribital sander with a med type grit to clean up the surface. Said it has worke on all the G50's he done that Were Not warped.

What to you guys think??

-Wade
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The reason the tech. info. says the flywheel is not resurfaceable is because of the rubber-centered clutch disc. If you were to take too much off the flywheel surface, the clearance between the pressure plate assy. and the clutch disc hub could be close enough that there would be contact. When installing a spring-centered disc, this clearance problem becomes a non-issue.

Nonetheless, i'd only resurface the 'wheel an amount to freshen the surface. If warped, it'd probably be best to replace it.

Souk,

I'm certain you've got the updated shaft assembly.

Check out this topic

G50 Clutch Cross Shaft Information
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
My wrench recommends just scuffing up the surface of the flywheel with a hand sander. Just enough to take the color off the flywheel.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Right on all points Kevin and Jeremy. I just have to clean up the installation a bit, as the update was not performed to "my spec."
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PorscheGuy79
Nice Souk, you been busyer than I could have imagined.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

It's tough working two jobs Matt...Sorry if I've been slow.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PorscheGuy79
Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
It's tough working two jobs Matt...Sorry if I've been slow.
Dont worry about it, right now I know how you feel.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ZOANAS
Replace the Speed, TDC and Reference sensors while you're there.
Since these two sensors consist of a coil of wire and a magnet, i wouldn't thnk they would wear out very fast. More important would be to check the gap if you install a new flywheel or bump it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I think it's the whires and wire insultor that folks are concerned with. If they are pliable, I'd be OK with it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Where do you think the crud on the engine comes from?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

The engine is fairly clean, but there is oil vapor condensed around one of the oil lines (vapor from oil tank to the intake). It was a loose hose. Don't know why it was loose.

The crud on the tranny is a mixture of road crud and an probably tranny fluid vapor that comes out of the tranny vent. Nothing to be worried about.

Last edited by MotoSook; 04-25-2005 at 10:09 AM..
Old 04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven
Where do you think the crud on the engine comes from?
Lack of anality. You should be ashamed of yourself...........
Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: