Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Sounds like the way to go. I used a similar approach when working out how to re-attach the CV joint to the wheel side. I could get one nut in but then it would not line up with the other holes. I was getting seriously annoyed.

In the end I jacked the rear arm and then they lined up.

83SC 'Guards Red' - Sold
1994 993 C4
Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Well, I still feel like a big fool for not thinking about this right away, but it's exactly what I'll do when I get home from work this afternoon. Thanks, Damo!

Oh, a little more to add, Thank goodness for impact wrenches!!!!!!! Seemed to take forever last night, but I'm pretty sure that without my trusty impact wrench, I'd still be trying to get that axle nut off.

I had my 1/2-inch breaker bar with the 32mm socket attached, but unfortunately had nothing to use as a cheater bar. (Gonna have to pick up a piece of pipe from Home Depot, or something, for future reference.)

Even so, using the impact seemed to take forever. It's rated for 280 Lbs of torque, so I figured the 100 Lbs of torque (I believe this is correct) specified for the axle nut should have been no problem. I figured wrong.

After alternating between the impact wrench and bouncing my 200 lbs on the breaker bar for well over an hour, it finally gave way...to the impact wrench. I highly recommend one of these things if you plan on doing any work on your P-car. This thing has really saved the day a few times for me. Not to mention the speed increase you get while doing some of the routine tasks, such as tire removal.

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 05-25-2005, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Randy,

I like to get the car up on jack stands using the torsion bar extensions for the stands and using the jack points to lift the car. Remember to chock the front tires. After removing the rear tires & wheels and putting them under the tunnel for safety, I jack one suspension up but donít take all the weight off the jack stand. This allows you to take the load off the shock. The shock is preventing the suspension from moving farther down. You can plan ahead and put another jack stand under the suspension to keep it up.

Once the load is off the shock, you can remove the lower shock bolt. You donít need to remove the shock, just collapse it up out of the way and wire it where it will stay up. When you go to reinstall the shock bolt, it is easiest if you can use the jack to manipulate the suspension position and find the slip-in point for the bolt.

Mark the side of the shock where it was against the trailing arm. The rubber insert at the shock bolt may have taken a set at an angle and be very difficult to reinstall the other way.

When you go cleaning in the area of the trailing arm where the outboard CV was, donít test the integrity of the wheel bearing seals with spray cleaner. Just brush the grime to the inboard and wipe clean. When the stub axle isnít torqued in place the preload is released on the wheel bearing and it is possible to contaminate it with spray ďbrake clean.Ē

Tomorrow Iíll try and post images and combine with my previous posts and everyoneís suggestions for a sequential set of directions for future reference.

Be very careful with loaded suspension. There is a lot of spring energy stored there. If the jack slips bad things can happen.

If you find your air impact wrench isnít undoing something in the first few blows, add some air-motor lubricating oil to the air line. A quick free spin will get it to the impact. Of course raising the air pressure helps also.

Now might a good time to line up a large torque wrench for the reinstall.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 05-25-2005, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Yep, lift up slightly on the bottom of the aluminum trailing arm while you disconnect the lower shock mount. Then you can let it down with the jack. Same when you reconnect.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

large probaly means 1" drive.... be sure to have a helper there

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 05-25-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Okay, even though I was singing the praises of my impact wrench last night, I'm still not happy.

Air Compressor is rated at 7.3 CFM at 90 psi. I've set the pressure to the line at a little above 80 psi. My impact wrench is rated at 260 ft. lbs. (which I assume is the max amount of torque it will apply under "perfect" conditions).

Out in the garage last night, it took well over an hour, almost 2 hours, to break loose the axle nut. As stated above, I believe the prescribed torque for that nut is 100 ft. lbs. Granted, I have no idea how much torque WAS applied to that nut when it was last installed.

Tonight, I'm trying to beak loose the shock absorber bolt. Not sure what kind of torque that thing is supposed to have, but I wouldn't think more than the 100 ft. lbs. as on the axle nut.

Anyway, I've got my jack under the trailing arm, just lifting up on it to relieve the weight from the shock bolt. 20 -30 minutes into it and it doesn't look as though the bolt has turned a bit.

I've tried raising the trailing arm to different heights, even to the point of bring the swing arm cover off the jack stand and then lowering it just to where the weight is on the stand. No matter where I set it, the shock bolt does not want to budge.

Am I doing something wrong with my impact wrench??? Am I expecting too much out of it? Is there a technique I'm missing? When I took the lug nuts off to remove the tires, ...zip, zip, zip...the nuts came right off. Anything else, it just doesn't seem to have the stuff.

Randy
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Randy,

Always make sure the wrench is set to go the proper direction. Iíll bet the wrench is spec for 150-175 PSI.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 05-25-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Grady,

There's a little sticker on the wrench which specifies 90 psi, forgot to add that in my post. Right below that it says something else about "bursting" Definitely don't need that to happen to me.

Randy

edit: And yes, I've confirmed the direction of the wrench...several times. That wouldn't be the first bone-head move I've "accomplished" in my lifetime.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage

Randy
Old 05-25-2005, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rcecale

Am I doing something wrong with my impact wrench???
-------- who knows what's right or wrong? Allow me to say that a nice Ingersoll-Rand gun & a twin stage 80gal tank with a 3/8 hose would allow you to kick ass.

There is a thing called stiction, or something like that, which is the starting torque for an attached nut to break loose that is greatly higher that the attachment torque.

Is there a technique I'm missing? [/QUOTE]
------- If it was my situation I'd set up the breaker bar and socket, get someone strong to lean on it big time, and get a baby sledge and wack the top of the bar at the 90deg point while your bud is straining. Wack the crap out of it till it gives. The induced harmonics rattles the thread attachment. I've never done this on the rear nut, only in other similar situations. Maybe confirm that it's ok to do this?
party hearty.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Randy,

That impact wrench is too small for reliable removal of an axle nut, whether VW Beetle, or 911! I have been using 3/4" drive sockets and breaker/slide bars for over 30 years ... with a cheater bar that happens to be a jack handle [ i.e, free] ... never fails, and I usually need every inch of the five foot bar to get the job done!

An impact wrench to do the job would need to be rated at least 500 lb-ft! My weight has varied from 120 - 170 lbs, and it still needed a five mfoot multiplier every time!

The 'stiction' Ron talks about is real ... when rust and axle nuts are involved!!! The first time I tried a Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar on a VW axle nut ... sheared off like cheddar cheese -- in 1969! Got my replacement Craftsman and decided to not try that again! Found a set of $39 3/4" drive sockets and slide bar at a 'bargain' tool sale at the local Holidayy Inn ... and never had a problem with axle nuts since then!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by randywebb
I thought those nuts were 300 ft-lbs.??
Randy,

Thanks for keeping me on the right path! I'm not sure where I got that "100 Ft.Lbs" thought. Looked at that thread I linked to on pg. 3 of this thread and found the following:

Torque the nut to 217-253 ft/lbs for SCs and prior and install a cotter pin that fits snugly. Torque Carrera nut to 333 ft/lbs.

Also, just so it's posted here, the shock bolt is torqued to 90 Ft. Lbs.

Don't I feel stupid!!!

Guess I'll swing by my trusty Home Depot at lunch today and see what they have in the way of breaker bars. Probably pick up a few more socketss and a 5 ft. section of pipe while I'm there too.

I will get this finished....I swear I will!

RoninLB, Warren, thanks for the advice!!!

Randy

Last edited by rcecale; 05-26-2005 at 04:08 AM..
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Randy,

Before you go to HD for new tools you might stop by a local pawn shop. Lots of times they have used stuff that is in excellent condition for a really good price.

Re your impact wrench, Ron's note about the air hose size is right on, but we run our impact wrench's all day long at 120 psi. Would not have made a difference in this situation (using a 1/2 inch unit on an axle nut) but that extra 20-40 psi does make a difference.

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

have a helper hold the socket on & a big guy jump on the breaker bar

Yes, look for a used 3/4 or 1" one

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 05-26-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Early_S_Man
Randy,

... never fails, and I usually need every inch of the five foot bar to get the job done!

Lot's of great advice here on this thread. I went to Home Depot and got a 9 foot section of 1.5" ID pipe. With that much leverage, the nuts just slowly came free like melting butter. Before this I beat the heck out of myself with significantly shorter lever arms. Such sweet victory.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun 84 Targa
Such sweet victory.
There are a lot of curse words in the story behind the picture below...

Needless to say, the driver side axle is off and awaiting my shipment from our host. Was hoping the stuff would be here today. If it's here for the weekend, that would be most excellent too!

Leaving out the curse words...the shock bolt was being a pain, but you already knew that. Stopped at the parts store on the way home today and picked up a can of PB Blaster. Read about it a lot here but never had the occasion to use it until now.

This stuff is great. Sprayed the bolt. (The directions say "saturate") Let it set a few minutes and tapped/smacked it with a hammer to loosen stuff up. No go. Once again, I used the spray-smack method. Again, no joy! After the third spray-smack, I put the impact wrench in place and brap, brap...I saw movement. a few seonds later, I had the bolt in one hand and the axle in the other. Oh, almost forgot to mention that wide grin all over my face.

Now it's time to work the axle kits when they arrive.

Shaun, I should be picking up my "Persuader" stick tomorrow. Wasn't sure what size pipe, but if 1.5" ID is good enough for you, it's good enough for me too. Thanks!

Randy
Old 05-26-2005, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Went back out to the garage after the last post and who did I see pulling up the drive?

Parts are here, so now the "fun" begins.

Randy
Old 05-26-2005, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage

LAMBRO 12 - 86 W - GERMANY 13 - 21

In this pic, you can see the snap ring is removed (See 2nd pic above) It's ready to go on the press and have the CV Joints pressed off so I can replace the boots.

Randy

Last edited by rcecale; 05-26-2005 at 06:41 PM..
Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Semper drive!

Garage
That's exactly what I was telling myself Randy! That, and "Grease is my friend!"

Randy
Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rcecale

, and "Grease is my friend!"

I love the smell of CV grease in the morning.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 05-26-2005, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: