Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

915 trans problem

I last drove the 71E about 3 months ago and all was well, now after sitting several months I can't get any forward gears. Reverse works but releasing the clutch in any forward gear stalls the engine even on a lift. The wheels and axles turn freely by hand but the engine stalls and I mean they don't move at all forward even off the ground?????????

Any ideas??
61 356 Coupe
69 XKE OTS
68 XKE Coupe
65 Healey BH8
Old 01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the selector finger is in the wrong place inside the trans. it's left the reverse shaft in reverse and when you select a forward gear, it locks up. if it's not stuck in reverse, you should be able to get neutral. the fix is to remove the reverse light switch and force the activating pin inward to pop it out of reverse and into neutral on that shaft. then all should be good. you might want to remove the square plate on the trans housing and see that the guide fork is still tight.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 01-03-2006 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have the same problem PLEASE HELP

Do I have to drop the engine and trans to remove the reverse light switch and force the activating pin inward to pop it out of reverse and into neutral on that shaft.

And did this work for you? Please any further insight on this thread would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Snbush,

You don't need to drop the engine/tranns to remove this switch. It's loacted on the forward end of the transmission, right next to the shift rod, as shown in the pics below.

A closer shot.

When disconnecting the wires from the switch, be careful not to mess it up. Pull on the terminal itself, not the wire.

When connecting them back up, it makes no difference which wire plugs where.

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 02-19-2006, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll give it a whack.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You may want John's post carefully, the part about the activating pin. That is the reverse light activating pin. When I did this to my car I made the mistake of taking the activating pin out and then thinking I could hit the reverse shaft with a metal punch or a dowel. After some futility I realized the ill logic of this approach, but not before I had deformed the dowel pin hole to where I could not insert it back in place. I know, kind of dumb. I ended up trying to fit a welding rod, sawed off screw driver, thin screw, any thing that would fit through the small aperture, but to no avail. I just couldn't get the proper angle and all of these things were just bending as I tried to push. I then had to drop the nose of the trans and found that a (4mm?) allen wrench leveraged by one of those flat crow bars finally did the trick. To my relief the allen wrench travelled forward with a clunk, clunk. I then quickly started the car, the rear end supported by jacks and voila! My reverse stick problem was solved! I think I had experienced more relief than joy.

Oh by the way, when you take that reverse switch out, make sure you have a bucket handy, because the fluids going to come pouring out. Of course you may just want to drain it first, that is if you're one of those foward thinking persons that actually plans ahead. I bet you can guess which type I am.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Ed makes a very good point about draining the transmission first. DO IT!!!!! I should have added that to my previous post.

Also, if you need to remove the pivot plate, as JW suggested, you'll want to have the transmission drained. This is the plate on the bottom of the transmission held on by four bolts. You'll need to replace the gasket when you go to re-install the plate.

Randy
Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Unfortunatlly I cant get to my car until Wednesday to try this(I had it towed to a car craft lot and it is locked until wednesday). I allready know that if I had initally came to this forum you guys would have saved me an entire saturday of trying to readjust my coupler. Amazingly I had called two local "Porsche" only mechanics who told me that it was probably somthing simple and not to worry.

Does this happen often and how do I avoid it happening again? Is it the result of my driving or improper alignment?
Will I have to do other maintanance soon?
Can I just get in my car and drive around with no worries?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

HOW RUDE of me! These are my first post I am new to the forum, please allow me to introduce myself. I am a MSG in the US Army and am in Honolulu, HI. I recently came here from Ansbach Germany. While in Ansbach I owned a BMW 530 I and 325 Cabrio I loved those cars and the Autobahns and German road systems in general are simply incredible. I returned from Iraq in February and started looking for my first Porsche. Of course I looked at several hundred ads and made hundreds of phone calls, but I couldn't find anything really within my meager budget. However while looking for my car in the land where dreams are made "Stuttgart" I happened along a really cool gentleman who was parting with his 1974 original turbo look with wing. This car actually had several factory modifications and was driven by Ferry Porsche. I know this because it has a dated picture from the factory and ferry Porsche's picture with the car on the test track. It included the cars VIN. You can imagine how cool it was to test drive it and I was ready to buy it but the time just wasn't right as I was leaving Germany and didn't really know what awaited me here in Hawaii. The car drove like a tractor the suspension and steering was shot and the brakes were very iffy at best. I think I've done better buying my 78 SC. I enjoy the feel of this car and it drives great. It is my first Porsche and I can see owning it for a long time.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If the dates and description in your story are correct you made a huge financial mistake. There were no 1974 widebodies released for public sale, only prototypes and RSRs.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Yes its true. I am looking for pictures now but cant find them. It was advertised on Autoscout.de but it doesn't appear to be listed anymore. I didn't have the cash at the time and it was really up in the air as to when I was leaving Germany and even where I was going. He had all the papers and even the design (blueprints?) for the mods with the car. He was asking 9000 Euro. Of course it was EURO specs....but I guess that didn't matter as long as the car is over 25 yrs I could have imported it. Let me know if you want to go over and get it, I still have the guys number, but its in my car on a business pen he gave me and I cant get to it until Monday. I really miss the autobahns. Driving a 911 in Hawaii is like drinking Hefe Wiessen from a thimble.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Semper fi, MSG! Welcome to the BBS and THANK YOU for serving! You've definitely found the biggest and best resource available for enjoying your p-car. Anything you would ever want to know (and quite a few things you'd prefer NOT to know) can be found here. Collectively, I would put the knowledge gathered on this BBS against Ferry's himself!

The only thing you're missing now are some pics of your car. Perhaps Wednesday, when you get to her again.

Randy
Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It worked THANKS !!!!

This technique worked for me. Thank you rcecale, JW, and Ed Martin for your help. I removed the rev light switch but could not budge the gears back so I still had to remove the bottom cover and line up the shift finger correctly because my car wheels would not move (they were locked even with the clutch engaged). When I took off the bottom cover the finger dropped down (I think). The gear oil was pretty fresh so the PO must have taken good care of the tranny. I filled it back up gear oil and it shifts fine I made a couple of minor adjustments to the coupler which was I believe the cause of the misalignment. The coupler is new but appears that the PO had a hard time getting it on because the hex screw head is stripped out and I'll have to use some "finesse" if I ever want to change it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Cosmo,

We need to clear something up. You have a ‘71E with a 915?
Normally a ’71 would have a type 911 transmission and a
’72 would have a 915. There are different approaches to
this problem depending if it is a type 911 or type 915.

What shift pattern do you have?

The one below is the normal 5-speed type 911 in a '71 911E
(same as ’65-’60 type 901)
"
"
© Dr. Ing h.c. F. Porsche A.G.

The one below is the normal 5-speed type 915 from ‘72->.
"
"
© Dr. Ing h.c. F. Porsche A.G.

Best,
Grady

Edit – I just noticed Cosmo’s thread wan January 3. I hope he didn’t get confused if he has a type 911.

Last edited by Grady Clay; 02-26-2006 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-26-2006, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I updated to a 915 and yes John's little trick fixed the problem. Thanks John, as usual your expert advice saved the day!!
61 356 Coupe
69 XKE OTS
68 XKE Coupe
65 Healey BH8
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

My 1982 Targa hung in reverse and I was able to get it back in neutral using this post. Great stuff!

Thanks to all for the great info.

John
Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: