Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
My 80 Sc Backdate Project

Instead of having 3 different posts, I figured I would put the progress of my project into one thread.
Here are the details so far.
I waited about 18 mos going back and forth about adding a second car as a project. I missed one IMO that would have been a killer deal and the desire was even more, something about having something you can not have.
Here it is the day it arrived.

This is what it resides next to.

This is a shot with the ducktail installed.

This is what it looks like as of this morning.

A little backstory on a couple of interesting things.
I did not do a PPI- figured I could tell about the body and I planned on rebuilding the engine anyway.

So when I test drive it the gas pedal did not seem to have much of a throw and the car did not accelerate as promptly as my 79 does.
I buy it drive it home and it rides very good has a rebuilt 915 in it so it shifts super smooth.
As soon as I get home I hop into my 79 and drive it and find out that the pedal throw in the 79 is much greater. After looking at the tranny and the pedal cluster I have my GF hit the throttle and watch the action at the TB. I watched the same thing in the 79 and it was obvious the throttle on the 80 was going about half way. Low and behold at some point the car had some work to the CIS system and upon reassembly someone used too long of a screw on the bracket that has the cruise control on it. I backed it out and got a correct length one and wow what a difference. Car now screams out of the hole.

I wonder if the previous owner had it like that the entire time and never knew.

So far we have done the following.
1. Removed AC and all components
2. Replaced rear bilstein shocks
3. Replaced rear deck with delete package.
4. Fixed drivers power window.
5. Lowered it.
6. Added the ducktail
7. Economy RSr finish- Thanks to Kaefer for selling the 8's!

When the parts come in next week we will be.
1. Installing new dash top
2. Backdating Heat
3. Recovering factory steering wheel
A shot of my helper during the AC removal

Been pretty fun so far. It only took 3 tries to get the rear height where I wanted it.

Let me know what you think.
Waiting on fenders and such to really dig in.

Thanks
Phil

Last edited by w21055; 02-19-2008 at 08:30 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
A quick drivers side before and now.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Designer King

Nice!
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
never ending projects

Very nice. I was just looking at my SC and I'm trying to decide what how I want to finish my fuchs. Who did the wheels on the red 911? looks RSR with a polished lip.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Great project car..............................looking good !!!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner11 View Post
Very nice. I was just looking at my SC and I'm trying to decide what how I want to finish my fuchs. Who did the wheels on the red 911? looks RSR with a polished lip.
Phil (the owner) did the wheels:

Economy RSR Fuchs finish ???

It looks like he painted the wheel centers but left the lips alone.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I like the look! I'm seriously considering the same transition for my black targa. Nice work.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
- Self Moderating -

Looks great! I am looking forward to see your progress. When do you plan on doing the fenders?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Nice ride height, looks great, are you going to try to fit a chin spoiler under there?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Official notice for all SC owners to backdate their cars!
Then maybe mine will be worth something!!!!
What was the tail you removed, Phil?
Wheels look great!!
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
Official notice for all SC owners to backdate their cars!
Then maybe mine will be worth something!!!!
What was the tail you removed, Phil?
Wheels look great!!
It was a rsa type tail.
Thanks for all the compliments and although Scott answered, I did the wheels myself.

Phil
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Looks great!!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Definitely buck up for the H4 or used H5 headlights to really make it pop. Remember the trim ring needs paint so get them before any paint on the car.

Looks great!
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Any thoughts on adding the Carrera script? Subtle conflict with bumper/hood style. I think it would look great but I'm sure the purists would think otherwise
Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think it looks OK. Also Phil what about pulling the lower rocker trim? its kind of hit or miss on looks but definitley retro.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSportoVeloce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
Definitely buck up for the H4 or used H5 headlights to really make it pop. Remember the trim ring needs paint so get them before any paint on the car.
Also worth considering is black headlight rings...I think they look very smart on red cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa4now View Post
Any thoughts on adding the Carrera script? Subtle conflict with bumper/hood style. I think it would look great but I'm sure the purists would think otherwise
Not so! the 74 and 75 Carreras also have Carrera side scripts.

I think they would look very cool on this car, but then I'm biased by my own backdate.

Last edited by PSportoVeloce; 02-20-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Good points alll around and I certainly welcome the opinions.

As far as the lights. They are next on the list. So far most of the stuff done has been for appearence, so I wanted to upgrade some preformance parts as well.I was hoping to land some on here and save a few bucks as the small parts have racked up pretty good lately.
As far as the script. I really want to put it on, but am torn as to how long this will actually take. I do not want to spend the money twice on the script if I do get the backdate moving.
I think the script looks awesome on all the cars.

Thanks for the compliments.

Phil
Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Just checked on pricing on the Carrera script and it is not as much as dinner for two, so what color do you think? White is my first choice.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSportoVeloce
I think the silver would complement the car nicely because then it would match the wheel centers, which of course is a classic Carrera trick. Also black is pretty timeless/traditional on cars of all colors.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
fire up the photoshop!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: