Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
'89 930

Center Console Redux

Well, I am sure this post will get accolades and flames. I was really disappointed with the look of the center console and position of the shifter in the 89 930, so I took a little liberty at revising things. I removed the lower console and revised the shifter position with the shifter from Hargett. I tried to keep it in the same design theme in general but add a little aluminum to tie together with some of the other interior items. The first two are before pics followed by a few pics of the after revision.

The addition of the arm rest with a little extra storage and a retractable cup holder in the rear as well as a cup holder up front were things I couldn't resist. I know, I know, drive don't drink, but I cannot resist a coffee or a cold drink every now and then and hate the constant juggling act one has to perform. Also, the arm rest is nice on those long highway miles.

The auto heat was relocated forward and now consealed in the console with the control relocated to the console deck. The A/c controls are now reachable and the retarded 3 position fan blower ( never could select a position that was just right) is now a infinite selection rheostat. I am still in the process of relocating the flasher and defroster switches to the dash if they will fit at the cig lighter and blank locations.

Overall, I like the feel, form and function. I am still refining a few details to finish up. but thought I would post the current project nearing completion.

-Tony

Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Well let me be the first to say it looks fantastic!!! Wow great job. What console did you start with? Fab your own? Detail man details!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

That looks great !!

Now I'm getting the itch to change mine out.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
flamers be danged, man... loioks awesome. You really did do a fantastic job. v ery tasteful in my opinion. And you made itmore functional for you as you. Well done!

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 01-10-2009, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
wheres the e-brake?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
'89 930

Thanks guys,

I started with a 964 console and recovered it with Black vinyl. Got it off evilbay for $40 but it was tan and tired. Cut the front tip off and created a new tip or end that would house just the a/c module and the auto lock module. The vinyl then covered my fab work. And the module with the defrost and flasher was deleted to relocate those to the dash.

The arm rest was actually a new part from a Suzuki that had the perfect dimensions and black color to work. It bolted down to the tunnel, carefully, and gave me a anchor point to hold the rear of the 964 piece while I fabbed a bracket right behind the ashtray to hold the front on the 964 console. Then I was able to fit in very thin plywood for the sides which really made everything solid.

I considered deleting the ashtray and making it swoop up to the knee pads but just too much trouble and I liked the way it kept the dash/kneepad clean looking.

The e brake is under the hargett and the auto heat was moved forward of the old shifter position. I extended the wires and the cable system, cutting a new hole in the tunnel (carefully!!!) for the linkage arm.

All together, the pieces weighed about 3 lbs and the shifters were about equal. The infill pieces were 1/4" aluminum sheet cut to fit the old fashion way (band saw, jig saw and file) (read: PITA) as I didn't have access to a cnc or the like.

-Tony

Last edited by 1topcat; 01-10-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do you use the e-brake? if so how do you get to it. Beautiful work.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
This looks like a project right out of the Industrial Design Department of the Art Center College of Design, great job. Are you saying that you have sacrificed the e-brake for the up grades of the rest of the design or is it still a functioning e-brake?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
'89 930

It is still a functioning brake and I took a little slack out of it so the throw works with the hargett shifter, which Mark designed to be placed over the existing e brake. The auto heat controls had to be moved though. As for the design, yes, it can still be used. I have set it up for access on the right side where I would have to open a small access door which the carpet hides. It's kind of a hand hole and it works, but now there is one more step to pulling the brake; first you have to open the door panel.

-Tony

Right now, being in Florida, I have no hills or real need for its use, but I did not want to just delete it. I looked into hydraulic e brake kits so I could just have a switch, but I did not like the cons assoc. with that path. I am waiting to see how much I miss it before I modify anymore.

Last edited by 1topcat; 01-10-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have a blue 993 console in decent shape for $50 if anyone wants it.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

PM sent axl911
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I have put off buying a Hargett because I can't stand the way it looks but now I know what to do. This is effing awesome!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Tony,

More Questions:

1. I think a good working e-brake sooner or later would be imperative. At least I couldn't get along without one here in the Hill Country. Pretty tough leaving an electric light with a 4X4 pick up on your back bumper without the help of the emergency brake. The problem I see is that you really need to be able to pull directly vertically on the e-handle to have it effective.

2. Do you like the Hargett shifter? I hope so after all of this...

3. Can you show some pixs of the relocated auto-heater control installation? Did you lengthen the piano wire cables and move the entire auto-heat module forward in the console?

Hargett should put this out as a "kit"... You've done an outstanding job of doing what the factory should have done in the first place, well when you work out the e-brake then it will be perfect...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I have both accolades and flames...

Wow! What a great job! More pics?

If you only added 3 lbs. - no biggie.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Nice.....it's what you wanted,..and THAT'S really all that matters.

Best,

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
'89 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Leland View Post
Tony,

More Questions:

1. I think a good working e-brake sooner or later would be imperative. At least I couldn't get along without one here in the Hill Country. Pretty tough leaving an electric light with a 4X4 pick up on your back bumper without the help of the emergency brake. The problem I see is that you really need to be able to pull directly vertically on the e-handle to have it effective.

2. Do you like the Hargett shifter? I hope so after all of this...

3. Can you show some pixs of the relocated auto-heater control installation? Did you lengthen the piano wire cables and move the entire auto-heat module forward in the console?

Hargett should put this out as a "kit"... You've done an outstanding job of doing what the factory should have done in the first place, well when you work out the e-brake then it will be perfect...
Mitch,
1. I completely agree, but like I said the biggest hill here in Florida I encounter is the 4 inch difference in elevation I have from my garage to the street Bahaha. I have tried pulling the e brake from the side and I can pull straight up. With the shortened throw, it works fine, its just I have to open the access panel which is about 2 inches to the right off the handle centerline. A little awkward indeed, but not all bad. In this design, just no other solution I have come up with. I'm not sure I get the 4x4 on the back bumper comment. However, I do have a awesome bright 8 inch wide by 3/8 tall LED strip brake light in lieu of the factory third brake light in the rear window. I have also added two more LED brake lights in the center reflector to each side of the center panel that says Porsche. I feel a lot better that people see my brake lights and the response time is quicker from when I apply brakes and they use less amps than the incandescents.

2. Yes, I have the Hargett for the G50 and I like it. It has taken a little bit to get used to, its accurate and the position is way more comfortable. Mede8er has the Hargett on his 915 and did not like it. It's a little different design than on the G50 and he switched to a Rennshift and loves it.

3. Yes, I lengthened the piano wire and the tubes that they reside in. With due credit to The Turk, the tubes were 6mm OD steel tubing and some .049" s.s. piano wire from McMaster. The tubes friction fit into the ends of the existing tubes and then you just stop them where ever you need, a few inches back from where the actuater lever arm is placed. I replaced the entire length of wire from one flapper box up to the control lever, twisted it around the lever like the original application and returned down the other tube to the other flapper box. I think I bought 20 feet of wire and 5 foot of tubing just to have plenty. Its pretty intuitive once you look at the original installation. Once I determined where I wanted the auto heat, I then cut a hole 1 inch wide by 2.5 inches long where the lever sticks down thru the tunnel to pick up the cables. EXTREME care must be taken to not drill or cut any of the many fuel or electric wires in the tunnel. A Strong light and a small mirror made that much easier. I was so consumed with making progress, that I did not take enough pics of those steps, but it was pretty easy. I used a dremel wheel for cutting and the entire module moved forward, has 4 bolt holes and needs some of the wires extended/spliced.

Last edited by 1topcat; 01-10-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I could see doing something similar on an early car with stock shifter.

It would run along the tunnel.

How did you create the curved vinyl radii? Or were they built in on the 964 piece you started with?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Recreational User

That's very impressive! I would like it even more if you covered the shift lever with a 964 shift knob and leather boot - that would look very stock. And maybe a turbo script stenciled onto the aluminum in front of the arm rest.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl911 View Post
I have a blue 993 console in decent shape for $50 if anyone wants it.
pm sent
2005 Pilot (Wife's)
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

That's really beautiful work.

The e-brake access issue is a drawback, I guess. But the thing that strikes me the most is that it makes it look (to untrained eyes, of course) as though the car is front-engined. In other words, a console cover extending that far back kind of suggests a driveshaft hump is being concealed.

But that's the look Porsche used in the later 911 iterations, and your implementation is -- if anything -- better looking than what Porsche did (in my opinion).

You ought to partner up with Mark, solve the e-brake issue, and start selling a complete kit.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: