Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A quote from my shop who do a lot of high end cars and customs windows:

"We use a Sika product called Mach-60 to seal rubber to body and rubber to glass. these are used mainly to prevent water from entering car."

https://can.sika.com/en/solutions-and-products/new-products/sikatack-mach60-autoglass-replacement-adhesive.html

NFI
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
That Sika Mach-60 is basically rubber urethane adhesive. It's for the later style windshields (993-up) that do not use a preformed seal and are glued into the body, then decorative trim applied afterword. The stuff turns to pure rubber when cured. One of 3M's version like the Mach-6- stuff is called Windo-Weld.

We want to fill the void around the seal with a bedding and glazing compound. It's a non-hardening tacky goop that fills the void. The urethane stuff is not a problem, it's just unnecessary because it makes for extra work the next time the glass is removed and replaced
Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Of course my German neighbor had something to say: "You must do it like the Porsche factory says."

Which is?

So the argument would be that new materials offer a better solution to what they had then.

In the mean time, I am back to cleaning old window cement from the windshield and Targa window channel....

Maybe with benzine!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

The current argument that people use is an assertion that the factory didn’t use ANY

I’ve asserted that while you can debate the modern glues, you should use a glazing compound at least

You document FINALLY supports that

Thank you thank you thank you
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

3m Auto Bedding and glazing compound
Old 04-16-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: