Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fog light issues

Hi folks,

I've recently taken ownership of a 1984 RoW 911 targa. I bought the car knowing there was an issue with the fog lights and was pretty sure I could get to the bottom of it. Well..... please help.

When I pull the headlight knob to the 1 st position, the fog lights come on regardless of the position of the fog light knob.

When I pull the headlight knob out to the 2nd position the fog lights will not come no matter what position the fog light knob is in, high beam, low beam, etc.

Does this type of behaviour sound familiar? From reading other posts I'm thinking the problem is the hi-beam/low-beam/turn-signal switch. Any thoughts?

Also, when looking at the wiring under the dash I saw this black box with an image of a headlight on it dangling from the wiring. Is this normal/stock?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by kohho; 11-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Photo of dangling box
Old 11-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
SOunds like someone has made them into daytime running lights.
Better get the wiring schematic and trace everything out.
Draw yourself a picture and go from there.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
SOunds like someone has made them into daytime running lights.
Better get the wiring schematic and trace everything out.
Draw yourself a picture and go from there.
I'm hoping to find/purchase the proper wiring diagram for this car '84 RoW' but have not yet found what I'm looking for. I'd like the multi-color version for the RoW car if such a thing exists. Not sure how different the RoW wiring is from the NA cars- I've been using the electrical diagrams for the NA car so far.

Here's a pic of the dangling box I mentioned.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
The NA diagram for my ROW car has been correct. Do you have the Bently for your car?

I have no idea what your black box is. Perhaps a replacement for something that broke or a relay kit just for the fogs? I don't have fog lamps on my car but the wiring shouldn't be too complex. There aren't any unknown switches on the dash are there?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Pelican has this diagram posted.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
In my 84 ROW the fog lights only work if the headlight switch is in the first position, then using the fog light switch I can operate the fog lights. If the headlights are in the second (on) position the fog lights turn off and the healights go on.

In this thread are a few useful comments by Canada Kev regarding the wiring of the euro foglights.

Can I wire Rear Fog to Front Fogs w/out frying my system?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
The NA diagram for my ROW car has been correct. Do you have the Bently for your car?

I have no idea what your black box is. Perhaps a replacement for something that broke or a relay kit just for the fogs? I don't have fog lamps on my car but the wiring shouldn't be too complex. There aren't any unknown switches on the dash are there?
I don't have the Bentley for my car but will pick it up soon. Is the wiring diagram that you linked to from the Bently? It looks easy to understand and references the RoW options.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
On my 89, the fogs will come on in the first postion (as long as asked to do so),..and will remain on with low beam headlamps being on....the fog lamps cut off when I go to Hi-beam switch setting...... just an FYI, from the 1989 world.....

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
In my 84 ROW the fog lights only work if the headlight switch is in the first position, then using the fog light switch I can operate the fog lights. If the headlights are in the second (on) position the fog lights turn off and the healights go on.

In this thread are a few useful comments by Canada Kev regarding the wiring of the euro foglights.

Like Doyle, my ROW's fogs will only come on when the main light switch is in one of the on positions and will stay on when the low beams are on. They will however turn off when hi beams are turned on. Cheers

Last edited by Drisump; 11-19-2012 at 03:52 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohho View Post
I don't have the Bentley for my car but will pick it up soon. Is the wiring diagram that you linked to from the Bently? It looks easy to understand and references the RoW options.
Could be from the Bently. I found it here:
Pelican Parts - Porsche 911 Parts Listings & Diagrams
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post

Thanks for your insights - that other thread is definitely helpful. too I'll get out to the garage and investigate a bit more when it warms up a bit around here.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: