Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
quick question re 88 3.2 engine drop - first time

Just a quick question - I have everything 99% disconnected and ready to drop the engine but while working through the Bentley Manual - I do have some questions about the cruise control.

Where are the vacuum lines that the manual states need removed? I have disconnected the cruise control cable but do not see any vacuum lines for the cruise.................otherwise seems to be fairly straightforward although the engine is not on the ground yet

Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
It should be on top of the servo. One vacuum and one breather.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It sounds like the Bentley is referring to the pre-1988 cruise servo that uses vacuum - Cruise control parts. My 88 has the square looking CC servo with a big round electrical connector, the accelerator cable, and 3 nuts holding it down.

Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MConn View Post
It sounds like the Bentley is referring to the pre-1988 cruise servo that uses vacuum - Cruise control parts. My 88 has the square looking CC servo with a big round electrical connector, the accelerator cable, and 3 nuts holding it down.

Mike
+1, just take it slow and double check everything
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Don't forget the clutch slave cylinder on top of the tranny. You can unbolt it from the tranny without removing hyd lines and avoid having to bleed it. Be sure to support it. When you put it all back together make sure the pin on the end is in the cup on the fork. There is a removable rubber inspection plug on the side so that you can do this check.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
Don't forget the clutch slave cylinder on top of the tranny. You can unbolt it from the tranny without removing hyd lines and avoid having to bleed it. Be sure to support it. When you put it all back together make sure the pin on the end is in the cup on the fork. There is a removable rubber inspection plug on the side so that you can do this check.
Thanks - yep got it - one of my least favourite parts to unbolt. not a lot of room working above the tranny.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MConn View Post

Mike
Ok - thats it. What had me wondering is the cruise control has never worked on my car anyways so I wasn't sure if PO had removed anything when I couldn't find the vacuum lines.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Don't forget the stuff in the tunnel: reverse wire, speedo wire, etc.

The oil lines, ground strap, engine harness, etc etc. Go very slow, check and re-check everything the first few inches until you're about a foot down.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
have you looked at those articles?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/07-Engine_Drop/07-Engine_Drop.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_engine_drop/911_engine_drop-1.htm
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

tranny ground strap?
PCA - 37yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 (Halloween/SF Giants car)
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

+1

I have dropped my engine about three times already. But on the last drop, guess what I forgot to detach?

Oh well, live and learn.

I took off my Cruise by removing the two screws at the cable end where it connected to the throttle body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCA7GGR View Post
tranny ground strap?

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2015 Yamaha R3
1965 Suzuki k15 Hillbilly, 1975 Suzuki GT750
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: