Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

so this is how a backdate project starts...

I have owned my 1985 Carrera Targa since 1989. It had 246,000 miles on it when the odometer broke a few years ago. I absolutely love the car. My wife and I were dating when I got it. We just had our 20 year anniversary. It runs great - original engine with a valve job at around 200,000 miles. No work ever on the trans.

About 8 or 10 years ago I was rear ended. I saw it coming and let off the brake. The car behind pushed me under a pickup....with a lowered hitch. I had to convince my insurance company not to scrap it. In the end, I got replacement fenders, a grafted on front end, a replacement hood and a new paint job. To that I added a new windshield, new dash, new body seals, new turn signal lenses, and a bunch of other stuff. It was a fairly complete exterior makeover.

But that was a while ago. The car has taken a back seat to other things since then. I was driving it a year or so ago when all of a sudden, the targa vinyl let go in one big rip. I decided it was time to overhaul the top. I parked the car in a hangar and forgot about it. Then I started plugging into this forum. It had been a while. I started reading about backdating. I always liked the look of the earlier cars. My mind started justifying the project like this:

The targa top needs an overhaul+
The wheels need refreshing and I always thought the back wheels were too narrow+
The AC doesn't work and when it did it didn't work well+
The interior is original and it looks dated and worn+
I never use the back seats+
I would like to take some weight out of the car+
The fenders and hood and nose aren't original+
Man I love this car = backdate it.

The targa top has been overhauled by Dan Pechel. The windshield seal came from him. My other seals (targa bar and door seals) are from Pelican. Today I removed the targa bar and stripped two layers of paint from it. I also removed the front bar seal, the front windshield seal and two door seals and removed all the the adhesive...what a pain.

I am planning a simple interior...perlon or squareweave. Rear seat delete. Heater backdated, ac delete, RS door panels, H4s with chrome surrounds, steel fenders, steel bumpers, ducktail, center hood gas filler, chrome side mirror, brightwork around the windows. Beyond that are details I have yet to figure out. I imagine that I will need a full suspension upgrade. I am talking to a shop about the body update and working up a budget. I am working in parallel on the interior material selection and supplier. Given my schedule I am expecting a year or more to complete.

So this is one way a backdate project starts...wish me luck please.

Mike

Last edited by SpyderMike; 11-13-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
84 911 3.2 Coupe

Garage
Keep us posted, Mike. Be interesting to see how your project progresses. I've been looking for a needy 911 project car myself, to prevent me from tearing apart my '84 coupe. Got to find some way to be able to get my hands dirty. If nothing shows up before too long, my '84 may have to pay the price!

"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming of someday owning a Nissan or Mitsubishi?" - Porsche ad from early '90s
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Arne2,

If it hadn't been hit, I probably would have left it stock. It will be an interesting (hopefully fun) project. Pictures to follow shortly.

Mike
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mike,
Why not take the opportunity to go lightweight fiberglass everywhere you can? Serious weight loss would be my goal, since the car will never be original again.. Bumpers, hoods even fenders.
There are tons of threads on this procedure. Good luck! You're a braver man than I!

Nick
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

NYNick,

I am not completely decided on the bumpers regarding steel vs fiberglass. I am getting pricing and will look at the FG samples before deciding. I also would like to understand the weight difference.

Mike
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Sebscst
I just finished installing all the fg body panels on my 78 backdate i want super light so only the doors and roof are steel. I got my fg parts from gt racing except the hood i got from tre very happy with the quality from both.good luck backdated targas look cool.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Sebscst - is yours a track car, daily driver or weekender? Do you have a thread on your build?

Here are some shots from the accident:

Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

And here we are this afternoon:

Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
84 911 3.2 Coupe

Garage
Just me, perhaps, but while I can deal with 'glass bumpers and even a 'glass hood, for street use I really prefer steel fenders. If I backdate a car, that's how I'd do it.

"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming of someday owning a Nissan or Mitsubishi?" - Porsche ad from early '90s
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I stripped the paint from the targa bar - I still need to sand it for an even finish. I also just removed all the door/targa seals and cleaned the surfaces of adhesive:

Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I ordered some POR to coat the seal surfaces. While I wait for that I think I will start the A/C delete next as I am tired of stripping glue.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Sebscst
Hey spyder itll be a weekender. Ive got some build pics but there was a big oops we just noticed. Ill post a pic and see if any one else can catch it. Your car is looking good again!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Okay, so I have had a few days to start stripping some items off... the front compartment HVAC system, the cruise control module, the HVAC controls on the dash, the lower console, the center heater console between the seats, the carpets, the rear seats and side panels, the engine blower motor and ducting and cruise control components, and the AC components...and bits and bobs. Fun. I like taking things apart...

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Next I will remove the headlight and windshield washer systems and the A/C hoses front to back.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

AC hoses are removed...it was easier to cut them into small sections. lots of clamps underneath. I found it easier to put the car on jackstands and remove the wheels.

I also spent a few hours removing a leaking cam cover and cleaning the old gasket material off. I am waiting for the tensioner oil line o-ring replacement to put that back together.

In the meantime, I started stripping out wiring looms from the car. What a PITA. I will be removing:

cruise control
headlight washer system
auto heat system
all interior lighting (except gauge lighting)
stereo and speakers
power door lock systems
power seat system
all HVAC sub-systems

I would like to remove the power mirrors too, but I need to find a decent looking alternative.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Word of advice on any fiberglass pieces you use. If you decide that some panel will be replaced with a fiberglass one - take a lot of time trying to fit it before you make any cuts or changes. In my experience, all fiberglass panels arrive in varying degrees of not right. Some are better than others and some are ****. I have twice bought backdate fenders (from GT Racing) and twice cut them up in an attempt to make them work and then eventually given up, gone back to modifying steel and sold the fibreglass fenders for half what they cost me on EBay. I should have simply sent them back before I attacked them. My little business specializes in backdates and we have decided that, whenever possible, we are using steel panels. Even fiberglass hoods let down the general look of the bodywork and paint. As a general rule Fglass is OK for bumpers and engine cover but will still require a certain amount of "fitting". I would avoid it anywhere else unless appearance is secondary to weight. I made one other exception in my own RSRish car in that I have a Fglass front hood but only because I didn't want to cut a hole in an original hood to accommodate the centre filler.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mirrors

Flag mirrors gone - welcome Vitaloni Sebring Mach 1 Mirror
Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Okay...kinda strange..I was just on that thread Mr Merk.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Got to see one in person at Palooza this year

I love it, wife doesn't.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittsl View Post
Word of advice on any fiberglass pieces you use. If you decide that some panel will be replaced with a fiberglass one - take a lot of time trying to fit it before you make any cuts or changes. In my experience, all fiberglass panels arrive in varying degrees of not right. Some are better than others and some are ****. I have twice bought backdate fenders (from GT Racing) and twice cut them up in an attempt to make them work and then eventually given up...
i'd researched this based on excellent feedback like yours, and then I bought from MA shaw/ Getty

The fenders bolted right on. Here they are in their raw form as shipped to me.
(The GTracing bumper did take significant amount of tweaking however.)

Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: