Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Steering Rack "Rebuild" Procedure

Another topic posed some questions about steering rack "rebuilds" Here's a little bit of service info. to show you the relatively simple procedure. Okay, this is taken from a Clymer 914 Service Manual, but the steering rack in a 911 is virtually the same deal. I did this job, so it can't be that hard. If you need to source replacement parts, that's another story. I just broke it down, cleaned it, lubed it up and put it back together as directed below (for the most part )

Steps 5, 6 and 7 refer to removing the front suspension aluminum crossmember/suspension carrier. This is not necessary on a 911. The rack only need be unbolted from the carrier itself and the tie rods disconnected from the strut knuckle to get the rack out of the car. You can also disconnect the tie rods from the rack ends, but this is sometimes difficult with the rack in the car. I think many choose to leave the tie rods on the knuckle, but I feel the rod ends are easier to disconnect at the knuckle (with the proper tool- a pickle fork or rod end separator) than the ends at the rack. Just my preference.

Last edited by KTL; 10-25-2002 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-25-2002, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice post Kevin - info much appreciated.
'85 Carrera - Sold [sob]
TrackVision
944Cup
The 999 Site
Old 10-26-2002, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for a great post. Great information and my next project after I drop my motor and fix the oil leaks
Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Are there rebuild kits available? I have a little slop in mine at dead center with a slight clunk coming from the rack, and I don't know if cleaning/repacking will take care of it.

Charles
88 Cab
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Charles, You need to check for a post by tim hancock about rebuilding the rack. It is an excellent post
Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

SC Steering Rack DIY Bearing Replace

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
You'll have to source some parts creatively like Tim Hancock did. Thankfully (and unknowingly to me) bearings are standardized and you can find a replacement by it's standard number.

As far as other parts like the shims and pressure block? Good luck. The information i've seen from the responses about steering racks is that ZF and Griffiths (a company that rebuilds these) don't typically provide service parts. Shims should be pretty easy to find. From an industrial supply company. The pressure block is something a machinist friend could probably make pretty easily. It's nothing more than a cylinder of solid alloy. If it's a standard size, you might be able to make it from some alloy bar stock?

The only other things to replace are the rack (find a donor salvage rack for that) and the end bushings. I recall another Pelican member saying the end bushings are a standardized replacement item. Further searching on this issue may turn up the results i'm mentioning.

BTW, gaskets are not needed. My rack did not have them. I simply used some silicone RTV to seal up the cover plates.

Last edited by KTL; 02-12-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I realize this is resurrecting an old thread, but I was trying to rebuild my 1969 911 steering rack. I removed the oil seal and pinion with the top bearing without a problem. When I tried to slide the rack out of the housing, it only goes so far before feeling like itís hitting a hard stop. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: