Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Steering column bushing question

So I'm pulling apart my steering wheel to replace my turn signal/headlight switch. Even though my wheel didn't have any play in it I ordered a Leland bushing to have on hand, figured I'd do it while I was in there. I get things apart though and find this...

So it appears a previous owner already replaced the original with the slotted metal bushing option. Should I remove it and install the Leland? Worthwhile? Any difference? Not even sure how much of a pain it would be to remove, but if I'm going to do it now's the time.

Thanks!

Last edited by vick; 01-16-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Old 01-16-2016, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I doubt you notice any difference and like you said there was no play before. You can replace it or just sell the extra one on hand. I'm sure someone needs one!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Well, it depends on how shot the bearing is. The stock bearing had a plastic sleeve that contacted the steering shaft. When those failed, lots of people replaced the plastic sleeve with a metal one that was a 928 part. If there is no relative motion between the shaft and the new metal sleeve, all is well. If the shaft rotates in the metal sleeve, it will start to wear the shaft.

I prefer to replace the whole bearing, but that's more work than you probably signed on for.

JR
Old 01-16-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Don't fix it if it ain't broke! It looks like the metal bushing from our host. I replaced mine a few years ago. Works perfect. Smooth with no play or noise. Why would the metal one wear out? Should last years.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If the wheel works fine, I'd leave it.
If it starts to fail, you can now remove the wheel in under 3 minutes the next time.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the inputs. I was inclined to leave it alone but tapped on the 928 part with a screwdriver, turns out it slipped out pretty easily. So figured what the hell and swapped in the Leland bushing. Fit is a little tighter but more importantly now there's no metal on metal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: