Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   Motor overhaul and update with Sleepers Speed Shop (ITB's, AEM, etc) (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/945555-motor-overhaul-update-sleepers-speed-shop-itbs-aem-etc.html)

valveandpiston 04-03-2019 03:50 PM

How'd you get so light?? Front and rear bumpers for FG will save ~150lbs, what else??

Saadi996tt 04-03-2019 04:04 PM

Saw this car at SEMA, the interior has nothing but 2 front seats. No carpets just sweet green paint https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5a43e97118.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...041ce6497f.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jac1976 04-03-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valveandpiston (Post 10415542)
How'd you get so light?? Front and rear bumpers for FG will save ~150lbs, what else??

Click on the links in the thread. This car has been written about extensively.

chrisbalich 04-04-2019 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac1976 (Post 10415562)
Click on the links in the thread. This car has been written about extensively.

You're not wrong. But the articles I've read (including all the SS articles I re-read this AM) don't really go into detail about any weight saving measures taken.

It appears to me (Ryan, please correct me if I'm wrong.) that no real weight-saving measures were intentionally employed. Rather, all non-essential bits were never installed during build-up. No stereo. No HVAC...including control boxes under the car. No carpet. Minimized electrical systems. No sunroof. No door glass that I recall seeing.
Just a painted tub and the bare essentials to get down the road or around a track.

I love this car. It is very near to my goals for my own build.

Mike Billings 04-04-2019 05:20 AM

I see window regulators in the above photo.

Who needs those?

jmz 04-04-2019 06:25 AM

Nice Light car. ...about 100lbs lighter than my '74 with stock bumpers, carpet, some dynomat in the back. I want to keep the stock look but would like to lose a little more weight. I'm not sure where I will find it though.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554387874.jpg

Ryan H 04-04-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbalich (Post 10415998)
You're not wrong. But the articles I've read (including all the SS articles I re-read this AM) don't really go into detail about any weight saving measures taken.

It appears to me (Ryan, please correct me if I'm wrong.) that no real weight-saving measures were intentionally employed. Rather, all non-essential bits were never installed during build-up. No stereo. No HVAC...including control boxes under the car. No carpet. Minimized electrical systems. No sunroof. No door glass that I recall seeing.
Just a painted tub and the bare essentials to get down the road or around a track.

I love this car. It is very near to my goals for my own build.

Hi Chris,

The goal was sub 2200lbs from the get go, but there really wasn't a plan. I knew what I wanted and didn't want and figured we'd get pretty close.

Switching to the TRE fiberglass front bumper, rear bumper and deck lid yielded the most savings. They fit well too.

Other items:

- Completely replaced the entire wiring harness and fuse boxes with a PDM unit and custom harness.
- Absolutely nothing behind the dash and no radio, heat, ac, etc.
- Plugged the sunroof.
- Deleted wipers, antenna and a bunch of small things.
- Shaved everything in the rear that protruded.
- Seats are very light
- ITB's have to weight less than CIS.
- No door panels.
- Interior is basically a dash, two seats, harnesses and a roll bar.
- Mirrors are a little lighter.
- All the factory glass is still in the car including doors.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554388842.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554388842.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554388842.jpg

chrisbalich 04-04-2019 07:01 AM

Ryan, your car is awesome.
I really want to pare back the wiring on my car even further than I already have, but IDK if I'll ever step up to that super slick PDM setup you have.

Between your build and a few other lightweight builds out there, there is still a lot of hope I can get mine under 2200lbs without exotic materials. (and then maybe close to or under 2000 with them)

dwelle 04-04-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmz (Post 10416065)
Nice Light car. ...about 100lbs lighter than my '74 with stock bumpers, carpet, some dynomat in the back. I want to keep the stock look but would like to lose a little more weight. I'm not sure where I will find it though.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554387874.jpg

jay, i'm doing just that on my '74. i'm keeping the IB's and accordians, but the bumper blades are are FG and i have slick, and very light, aluminum brackets to replace the shocks. FG hood and decklid.

i'm shooting for a stock looking car that comes in at or slightly above 2100 lbs. getting rid of the sunfoof and all non-essentials as we speak.

love that mexico blue car, you were right behind me at buttonwillow on the road to rennsport. my car will look similar, likely gulf blue...

valveandpiston 04-04-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmz (Post 10416065)
Nice Light car. ...about 100lbs lighter than my '74 with stock bumpers, carpet, some dynomat in the back. I want to keep the stock look but would like to lose a little more weight. I'm not sure where I will find it though.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554387874.jpg

I'm still confused how people are getting that light. My 79 911SC had completely gutted interior (no carpet, rear seats, sound deadening), no AC, no radio, stock bumpers, stock glass, 16x7/9 fuchs, 4 point cage, and 3.2SS with carbs. Weight came in at 2,571lbs. I recently put in an RS carpet kit and some light dynamat, which probably added 15 or so lbs.

I'd love to lose ~200lbs...

Ryan H 04-04-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valveandpiston (Post 10416172)
I'm still confused how people are getting that light. My 79 911SC had completely gutted interior (no carpet, rear seats, sound deadening), no AC, no radio, stock bumpers, stock glass, 16x7/9 fuchs, 4 point cage, and 3.2SS with carbs. Weight came in at 2,571lbs. I recently put in an RS carpet kit and some light dynamat, which probably added 15 or so lbs.

I'd love to lose ~200lbs...

Switch the bumpers and deck lid :D

Ryan H 04-04-2019 12:11 PM

Shaved a bunch of weight under the hood

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554408610.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554408610.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1554408610.jpg

jac1976 04-04-2019 12:28 PM

I wasn’t trying to be snarky, rather I enjoyed reading about the car and thought others would, too.

jmz 04-04-2019 01:39 PM

Yes I remember you and that cool leaf green car. My car is running so much better now then at that event. ...finally got the EFI working really well. I think I advised you to go with carbs back then out of frustration. I'm a believer now.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dwelle (Post 10416162)
jay, i'm doing just that on my '74. i'm keeping the IB's and accordians, but the bumper blades are are FG and i have slick, and very light, aluminum brackets to replace the shocks. FG hood and decklid.

i'm shooting for a stock looking car that comes in at or slightly above 2100 lbs. getting rid of the sunfoof and all non-essentials as we speak.

love that mexico blue car, you were right behind me at buttonwillow on the road to rennsport. my car will look similar, likely gulf blue...


jmz 04-04-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valveandpiston (Post 10416172)
I'm still confused how people are getting that light. My 79 911SC had completely gutted interior (no carpet, rear seats, sound deadening), no AC, no radio, stock bumpers, stock glass, 16x7/9 fuchs, 4 point cage, and 3.2SS with carbs. Weight came in at 2,571lbs. I recently put in an RS carpet kit and some light dynamat, which probably added 15 or so lbs.

I'd love to lose ~200lbs...

On my blue car I removed all the sound deadening stuff on the floors the windshield washer stuff, radio, back seats and package tray dash or whatever it is called (it was heavy) and I'm not sure what else over the years. It is a stripped out roller window non-sunroof car. It is under 2300 lbs. I have an '80 SC with full interior 3.2 Short stroke, nice working a/c, Fikse wheels and big brembo brakes. It come in at just under 2700 lbs.

I believe that the '74 bumpers are much lighter than the later impact bumpers. The crush tubes or something I think makes them lighter.

cgarr 04-04-2019 05:43 PM

Wow Ryan that is just beautiful! How’s she run just as good at it looks?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkunkWorks 04-05-2019 08:13 AM

Any updates on those slick Eibach coilovers? :)

911SauCy 04-05-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWorks (Post 10417348)
Any updates on those slick Eibach coilovers? :)

+1SmileWavy

Ryan H 04-11-2019 02:17 PM

Green machine will be a luft! Make sure you say hello.

I'll probably have some of the shirts with me.



http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1555021012.jpg

Saadi996tt 04-11-2019 07:52 PM

Motor overhaul and update with Sleepers Speed Shop (ITB's, AEM, etc)
 
Got my tickets to Luft 6, looking forward to getting onto the backlot. Save a T-shirt in XL for me...

Thanks,
Saadi


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.