Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Todd

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Todd1
Just another backdate; but this one is mine...

Hi Everyone. I suppose- like many of you- I've lusted over 911's since I was a teenager. I bought this "rolling (not under its own power) chassis" 911 about 10 years ago and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. Its a '76 that I purchased in Canada, however the car is from Texas. It hasn't been on the road since its Texas days and I suppose because of that it's virtually rust free.

I've been busy with life- and still am, however I've started to get the project going (in my absence) as you will see in the pics. I've done a few restorations in my teenage days however none recently. I'm the first to admit my somewhat limited knowledge about the 911 so please excuse me if I ask some "dumb" questions. I'll try to use the search and do my own research as much as possible.

I really don't know where this project is going, however I obviously don't care much about keeping the car stock, and I don't mind "utility" and function. I'm just looking to come out the other end with a "daily driver" that I can punish out on the twisty roads and grab the groceries on the way home. I don't really care about "pretty stuff" and I like a used "bad boy" look to the car. Rock chips and dents are fine with me. Anyway, here are some pics. The car was complete with interior, a 2.7, etc but these pics were taken while I was stripping it.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
Here are some of the latest pics. Suggestions and comments are solicited and most welcome. In case you're wondering, the welds at the top of the roof pillars were done in the past. I suspect there was roof damage but I really do not know to what extent. I don't think it was a rollover since the rest of the car is pretty much unmolested. There is evidence of a minor impact on the right rear of the car but aside from that nothing. Any ideas why the roof pillars have those welds?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Betcha can't have just 1

Garage
Hey Todd,
That's a nice rust free shell, you're going to howl when you see mine.
I'm in Summerland and on a similar trajectory. My 87 Carrera is in 1000 bits and I'm cutting out rust for my backdate.
We should grab a coffee or you'll have to come out to the Kelowna Porsche coffee and cars when the weather gets better.
Steve
Ruby's Big Adventure-87 Carrera redux
Old 03-04-2017, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Todd

Garage

Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
That sounds great Steve!I have no knowledge about any "Kelowna Porsche coffee and cars"??? I've now added flares and welded over the sunroof but I'm having difficulty getting the pics posted. I'm a newb with this forum and how it all works..
Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
Maybe someone out there can unravel the mystery about the parcel tray holes that were cut and then welded over by some past owner... also, the roof pillars have welds on either side at the top as you can see in the pics. I don't think the car has been upside down- but who knows. It has taken a minor impact on the rear right. When I bought the car there was a "spare" oil tank in the back seats that had a crease in it from the impact. Also, there was a small section cut out and replaced in the back corner about a foot in. Decent enough job, however the flares and fiberglass bumper fitting has revealed that the section that they welded in wasn't from the correct year and it's not quite the same shape...? Anyway, it's being replaced this week with the proper one. I want the bones of this car to be as straight and correct as possible.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1 View Post
Maybe someone out there can unravel the mystery about the parcel tray holes that were cut and then welded over by some past owner... also, the roof pillars have welds on either side at the top as you can see in the pics. I don't think the car has been upside down- but who knows. It has taken a minor impact on the rear right. When I bought the car there was a "spare" oil tank in the back seats that had a crease in it from the impact. Also, there was a small section cut out and replaced in the back corner about a foot in. Decent enough job, however the flares and fiberglass bumper fitting has revealed that the section that they welded in wasn't from the correct year and it's not quite the same shape...? Anyway, it's being replaced this week with the proper one. I want the bones of this car to be as straight and correct as possible.
Anytime there are holes or dings in the parcel tray it is usually because a PO wanted to make room for speakers. Just a guess, as this was the case with mine. Good luck and keep the pics coming.
1985 Prussian Blau M491 Targa - 1 of 65 in the US
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good Todd! There's a big BC interior crew on here, I smell a summer ride. You work fast right?

Welcome aboard,

Alex
Old 03-04-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Betcha can't have just 1

Garage
Those flares look great. I see you're using the bronze mig wire, is it easy to work with? Looks like the Okanagan is going to have some pretty sweet hot rod P-cars in the near future. I'll PM you my number if you're up for a coffee.
Steve
Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Todd. Welcome!
There is a PCA social on Mar 15 in Kelowna.
You're likely to meet some invaluable resources.
Hope to see you there.
Cheers
Jay
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome Todd. Looks like a great project. You Okanagan boys are lucky to be so close to each other. Not much PCar action on NW BC where I'm doing my our restoration. I'd love to spend a few weekends in your region drinking a few coffees and talking about sir cooled 911's. Im actually coming to Lake Counrty in a couple weeks to pick up a new RV. Wish I was closer on a regular basis. Good luck with the project.

Mark
Old 03-04-2017, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
Yes- I too thought the holes in the parcel tray were for speakers but there just doesn't seem to be enough depth in there between the layers of tin. If they were indeed speakers- I'll guess they didn't sound very good
Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudelwagon View Post
Those flares look great. I see you're using the bronze mig wire, is it easy to work with? Looks like the Okanagan is going to have some pretty sweet hot rod P-cars in the near future. I'll PM you my number if you're up for a coffee.
Steve
I guess I should have mentioned- I can't claim the welding work to be mine. I wish I was that handy! So to answer your question about the MIG wire; yes- it's very easy when you pay someone to do it! I think I vomited a little into my mouth when I saw the bill though...
Old 03-04-2017, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
I've sifted through many threads pulling a reasonable amount of information about my project. Now that it's time to "pull the trigger" on many of these decisions, I'd like to get some feedback on the following questions to confirm what I've learned as a double check. I'm interested in your (anyone) thoughts on the following:

1. My car came with power windows. I'm thinking of going manual hand cranked regulators. I kinda like to keep things as simple and straight forward as possible. Is this a bad move?

2. My car came with power mirrors that I discovered when I removed them weigh about as much as a small Honda Civic. Of course I'd love the glass mounted mirrors that the Singer has, however I'm guessing those aren't available. My second choice; some sleek looking ones I saw on an Angus Walker car. I'm having the original holes welded over so that I can do whatever I want, however I'd prefer to cut new holes now before paint so that everything gets sealed up. Thoughts?

3. What engine should I put in this thing?? It came with a 2.7 but it was trashed. Not really interested in carbs so I'm thinking 3.0 or bigger...

4. What's up with the front sway bar? There wasn't one from the factory but I can see the punch holes in the body. Is this a worthwhile item to install?

5. The rear sway bar mounts seem to be ground off. Not sure why???

6.What do you guys think of when it comes to painting the engine compartment, underside etc the same as the body colour? Thoughts? At the moment I'm leaning towards body colour...

7. Sound deadener? Is it worth the weight? Dynamat?

8. Air Conditioning. Hmmm. My minimalist side wants to ditch this, but after that last election I doubt the summers are going to get any cooler... Any advice on AC? What are my options in a project like this?

9. Aside from the oil cooler lines and mounting hardware (I've done this already), is there any other sheetmetal or tin work that needs to be done before paint on a backdate project like this?

To anyone who takes the time to respond: I sincerely thank you for your time.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

This recent all electric AC innovation could be an elegant solution for your build. A search on the below will bring up a recent thread. Of course there are some excellent more conventional compressor system upgrades that are very well documented in the sometimes raucous AC threads.

Electric AC Setup - ClassicRetroFit Electric AC Setup
2017 BMW 328i
Old 03-05-2017, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Todd,

Awesome project!

You filled the sunroof, now bring it home with the rest of the 'right' mods :-D So a big yes on the manual windows, and ditch those heavy power mirrors. Lots of really cool and lightweight mirror solutions. Fill the passenger mirror holes and put an early talbot on the drivers side.

What is your engine budget? Because when you ask "What engine should I put in?" I would say a 3.2SS with EFI/ITB setup. Or even crazier with a 3.6 if you have deep pockets.

If your budget is <10k you might be able to find a nice 3.0 CIS running donor. You could also sell the 2.7 core to help cover that.

I would install front and rear after market sway bars. Someone may have already done that on your rear banana arms, hence the ground off sway mounts? Not sure. Tarret?

What about KW coilovers?

What about dropped spindles? bump steer kits? how low you going?

I would paint engine bay and underside body color.

AC is personal. IMHO they are heavy and usually don't work. Aftermarket systems haven't really caught on too well. Some entertaining threads on that. I think the market is too narrow for a leader to emerge. People love to argue about Oil and AC on this forum lol.

The flares look amazing btw. Great job (at least in finding the right welder and kudos to his skills)

Oh - and spend extra time and money fitting the Horn grills.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 03-05-2017 at 05:15 AM..
Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Todd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
This recent all electric AC innovation could be an elegant solution for your build. A search on the below will bring up a recent thread. Of course there are some excellent more conventional compressor system upgrades that are very well documented in the sometimes raucous AC threads.

Electric AC Setup - ClassicRetroFit Electric AC Setup
Very interesting. I've had a look at their website and I'll definitely consider this. 30lbs isn't that much (probably saved that much just ditching the electric mirrors). No cutting the body for the install either is another big bonus so I can wait to decide until late in the project.

Thanks a lot for the tip!
Old 03-05-2017, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

AC in BC? why go to the hassle. Never gets that hot and humid.

Thats going to be an awesome RSR look.

I would not bother with the manual window conversion - minimal weight savings,.

For mirrors what about just 73 silver flag mirrors? Repros are affordable and they are very light weight (I think they are aluminum). You can go drivers side only for a minimalist look.

On an RSR bodied car I feel like you have to bring the HP if you are going to have the look.

So hot rod 3.0 absolute minimum probably a 3.2 or a 3.6 and be done!
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Todd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Todd,

Awesome project!

You filled the sunroof, now bring it home with the rest of the 'right' mods :-D So a big yes on the manual windows, and ditch those heavy power mirrors. Lots of really cool and lightweight mirror solutions. Fill the passenger mirror holes and put an early talbot on the drivers side.

What is your engine budget? Because when you ask "What engine should I put in?" I would say a 3.2SS with EFI/ITB setup. Or even crazier with a 3.6 if you have deep pockets.

If your budget is <10k you might be able to find a nice 3.0 CIS running donor. You could also sell the 2.7 core to help cover that.

I would install front and rear after market sway bars. Someone may have already done that on your rear banana arms, hence the ground off sway mounts? Not sure. Tarret?

What about KW coilovers?

What about dropped spindles? bump steer kits? how low you going?

I would paint engine bay and underside body color.

AC is personal. IMHO they are heavy and usually don't work. Aftermarket systems haven't really caught on too well. Some entertaining threads on that. I think the market is too narrow for a leader to emerge. People love to argue about Oil and AC on this forum lol.

The flares look amazing btw. Great job (at least in finding the right welder and kudos to his skills)

Oh - and spend extra time and money fitting the Horn grills.
Hey Duane, thanks for the great leads!

I've just searched for the Talbot mirrors and they're perfect! I too was thinking of just deleting the passenger side. As for the engine, I just surfed over to the Supertec site after reading a few threads and the 2.8SS looks like it would be pretty cool with 300hp Jeez. You say the 3.2SS? I guess with the 3.2 it would be more turn key satisfaction and daily driveability though??

Trying to search the forum for KW Coilover but for some reason I can't get the site to respond. I'm behind "The Great Firewall of China" at the moment so it's likely something to do with that. Not sure how low I'll go yet with the suspension. I was lusting over all the stuff at the Elephant Racing site but that stuff will blow my budget. BTW, my engine budget was around $25k. I have a feeling I'll blow through that though.

Anyway- you've given me a lot to dig through so I'll get back to it. Thanks again for the leads and suggestions. It's given me more confidence in what I've been thinking so far.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/948106-fs-ebay-1973-carrera-rs-touring-genuine.html

Here is the mirror for ref. Manual mirror light and pretty
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 , back date , backdate , project 911