Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Awesome...I love it when people make their cars their own!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Well, are you going to reveal your secret shame and tell us which 80's tapes you bought?

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 06-11-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I love the fabrics and what you have in mind for the paint!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

A Porsche Classic Nav Radio would look real nice in there. Google it if you are not familiar.

I have come to hate cassettes, they sound bad, 8 track was actually better sound wise, in the day. I have a Becker Mexico in my early car. Popped in my cassette collection and it ate 1/3 of them. That was after a total refresh.

Considering the Porsche classic system myself. Plug and play. But pricey.

Anxious to see the weave project, very resourceful and ambitious. Would love to do my dash basket weave like that. May have to bug you to do a set for me

I really enjoy seeing folks explore a bit when it comes to personalizing. Keep up the good work.

It's your car, have fun.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Secret shame 70s and 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Well, are you going to reveal your secret shame and tell us which 80's tapes you bought?
Elton John - Bennie and the Jets
Peter Frampton - the one with the synthesizer
Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
Nina Simone - A little sugar in my bowl
We will rock you..
Journey
Styx
FREEBIRD
Happy Anniversary Baby - got you on my mind

Even writing these makes me laugh....

Still looking for
Brick House
Minilli Vanilli
Roy Orbison
Linda Ronstat

I love music and have a large collection of MP3 and cd's(none of which includes these titles...) but for some reason, this is what I picked for cassettes.
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-11-2017, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
... - yes, I am blonde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Really, according to you Avatar you are a Ginger
Nice up-date...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-11-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post

... - yes, I am blonde.

Nice up-date...

Just cause your blonde don't sell your self short. From what I'm reading of your adventure into p cars your quite a person with skills and not afraid learn new skills. A lot of guys don't take on these kind of projects. Hell a lot of guys now a days can't even change a frickin tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
The queen approves...

I totally "get" remaining stock. To me, my choices were Either ...complete stock look OR Pimp my Ride do it my way. By buying a "driver" not a concours Car, I feel comfortable mod'ing it out to suit my wacky tastes and needs. My kids used to be embarrassed by my quirkiness, but they are older now so it doesn't matter.

I like the look of your car and think the gray green carpet from Lakewell would be awesome. I know of NOONE who does a gray green square weave. I dont think that color existed those years. That being said I have decided on a deep red square weave with my Fortuny as the edging. I couldn't find Gray green Leather to match my original. I should have cut the leather(vinyl) off my carpet before I threw it away but didn't....I assumed there would be an easy match (NOT).

I am still trying to decide what to do with the seats - I am tempted to use the leather border and inset my fabric in the center panels,.... What do y'all think?
i think your seats MUST have some of your fortuna in the seat makeup to match the boot and trim etc. The center piece just seems logical to me but I do like the idea , a milder can can red if you will. It will be you! Canada Kev. thanks for the JDM pics, the 964 is very nice and I wonder if other markets had any specific traits like the japan market. I did include the obligatory pic of my car though.... for my indiscretions..
Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Our cars are twins!

https://petrolicious.com/articles/shooting-a-911-at-dusk-is-a-lovely-way-to-spend-a-san-diego-sunset
Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2017 Reflex Silver Mk7 GTI
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i
Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! What a nice write up. Your car looks so elegant and clean. How did you get the exterior door handles and other black metal parts to look so fresh? Mine looks tired and uneven.
Your headlights look good - did you do a conversion?
My doors have a weird black metal strip on them (chip guard), do you think I can just remove that? I feel that it breaks up the clean lines.
Lastly, is your engine grill plastic? Mine is and I think I would prefer metal....

the Queen
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-11-2017, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickyd View Post
i think your seats MUST have some of your fortuna in the seat makeup to match the boot and trim etc. The center piece just seems logical to me but I do like the idea , a milder can can red if you will. It will be you! Canada Kev. thanks for the JDM pics, the 964 is very nice and I wonder if other markets had any specific traits like the japan market. I did include the obligatory pic of my car though.... for my indiscretions..
I am trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to replace the stock seat centerpieces (where the leather is perforated) with my fabric without taking the whole seat apart. I don't really have anywhere to disassemble the seat and this being my daily driver, I can't have the seats out of commission for more than a day. Do y'all think I could cut the center piece out, recover it and then reinsert? I am not familiar enough with the actual seat construction to know if this will work.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Elton John - Bennie and the Jets
Peter Frampton - the one with the synthesizer
Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
Nina Simone - A little sugar in my bowl
We will rock you..
Journey
Styx
FREEBIRD
Happy Anniversary Baby - got you on my mind

Even writing these makes me laugh....

Still looking for
Brick House
Minilli Vanilli
Roy Orbison
Linda Ronstat

I love music and have a large collection of MP3 and cd's(none of which includes these titles...) but for some reason, this is what I picked for cassettes.
Adds to consider.

Brick House LOL, the only reasonable song on the album. But a classic that stands the test of time.

Early Van Halen
Late Alice Cooper - Welcome to my nighmare
Queen Bohemian Rapsody
Neil Diamond - Live at the Greek - So well recorded it just works.
Billy Joel - Piano Man
The Who
Led Zepplin
ZZ Top
Sammy Hagar - Can't drive 55
Early AC /DC
The Runaways
Early Blondie

I could go on for a long time. Think it's best to find a stereo shop to get you a discrete ipod hook up for your mp3 collection.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
My aux port is the tiny black object under the stock radio. It is connected to an old blackberry that serves as my mp3 player - I am just enjoying the casettes for fun retro-diversion.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
I am trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to replace the stock seat centerpieces (where the leather is perforated) with my fabric without taking the whole seat apart. I don't really have anywhere to disassemble the seat and this being my daily driver, I can't have the seats out of commission for more than a day. Do y'all think I could cut the center piece out, recover it and then reinsert? I am not familiar enough with the actual seat construction to know if this will work.
I am pretty sure there is a thread showing the deconstruction of seats as well as the re and re process. I would post if I knew how. you will find them. Rather than diving right into your originals, I would source old seat covers for pattern transfer and attempt sewing up a seat cover to learn the process.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I can't think of anyway to do it that will give a good looking result. Center and sides are sewn together. Maybe you could source a used seat to put in for driving while an upholstery shop did your inserts or you braved it yourself?

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 06-12-2017, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Still looking for
Brick House
Minilli Vanilli
Roy Orbison
Linda Ronstat
You will find cassettes at garage and estate sales. Good luck.
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 06-12-2017, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

21st century garage sale:

roy orbison cassette | eBay
Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Have you learned how to heel and toe with flip flops?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
That Guy

Garage
Quote:
Cool! What a nice write up. Your car looks so elegant and clean. How did you get the exterior door handles and other black metal parts to look so fresh? Mine looks tired and uneven.
Your headlights look good - did you do a conversion?
My doors have a weird black metal strip on them (chip guard), do you think I can just remove that? I feel that it breaks up the clean lines.
Lastly, is your engine grill plastic? Mine is and I think I would prefer metal....

the Queen
The window frames and door handles are in okay shape on my car, i think what your seeing is just the cumulative effect of a good photographer, good camera and some post editing. You could get everything re-anodized or powder coated...but then you run into that 'while your in there' effect and will likely end up replacing all the glass seals.

The headlights are just standard H4's. Seeing as you daily your car, its a very worthwhile upgrade along with a headlight relay kit. There are alot of retrofit options now that utilized projectors and LED's. I'd probably look into one of these options if they were available at the time. For similar cost you get even more light output.

The chip guard on the door edge is hard to say, might be glued or held on with adhesive tape? It may be possible to get it off with a heat gun to soften any adhesive.

I have the OE plastic grill on my deck lid.

The previous owner of my car included a set of replacement seat covers in leather (or maybe its just vinyl). My seats are still in good shape with some nice patina on them. I think the new seat covers would look out of place with the rest of the interior being original. The covers were made by Autos International here in the San Diego area...they are good quality so if your looking for replacements that is one option.

Just curious, what color do you interpret your dash as? Most of my dash almost looks brown now which i think is due to fading from the sun. Id love to see what this interior looked like brand new. Also appreciate the lead on the carpet supplier. Id like to redo mine at some point... it looks like a heavily worn shag carpet now.
Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2017 Reflex Silver Mk7 GTI
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i

Last edited by Techno Duck; 06-12-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Just curious, what color do you interpret your dash as? Most of my dash almost looks brown now which i think is due to fading from the sun. Id love to see what this interior looked like brand new. Also appreciate the lead on the carpet supplier. Id like to redo mine at some point... it looks like a heavily worn shag carpet now.
My dash is definitely grey green...matches the seat leather. it was replaced just before I bought it with original color leather.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: