Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.31 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I was also there this past weekend.

cudos to Tony for making such an effort to deliver on a great weekend. I echo LIRS6's comments.

the weekend accomplished what I hoped. a better understanding of the process, 'how-to' ideas, and the physical contact with the beast. a great addition and context to all the information in Wayne's book and on these forums

not sure he told us all his secrets....

now looking forward to putting my 3.3 turbo motor back together.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

I was there this past weekend as well... Class #3 i guess. Tony and his wife were very generous hosts and the class was full of information and instilled the confidence needed to take on a project like this in the future. The friendships and lifeline to Tony were well worth the effort and cost of the class. Thank you Tony.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Garage
Huge thanks to Tony and his wife for this great effort. This was not so much a course as a sandbox with just the right amount of information to learn but free and unstructured to demystify and explore.

I understand the desire to videotape and share, sharing is what this forum is all about but the 10% of total time Tony was instructing does not lend itself to a video. There were no slides or written steps and the only video he showed is already posted on engine rebuilding forum and there were constant questions and tangents.

What I found most useful were those problems/mistakes we were encouraged to make and learn from
-unknowingly changing cam timing after one side was set
-try to put the chain outside the chain guide because it didn't look right
-what if you mix up the L & R cams (rabbit right)
-wavy washers and nylock nuts
-how sump plate orientation affects flow
-why 2 hands wont do it when fitting the crankshaft
-crank not spinning freely when chains/piston rods are not supported
-crank rattle curiosity led to discovering what oil starvation did to a cam bearing
and dozens of others problem/solutions none of which were explicitly planned.

To me here is the benefit of this gathering: I have Wayne's book to rebuild. Jerry Woods spirals, the Building High Performance Porsche Engine book etc. and anyone can follow a recipe. But there are many variables by year, case, problems discovered and all 3 have little overlap so you can't plan it all out with confidence. You WILL get stuck with no guide to save you. I came here looking for that guide and found the opposite.
Every problem was a surprise, studied, diagnosed, corrected and checked to ensure it was fixed-some in 10 seconds, some in 1/2 hour. Do this 200 times and you stop worrying about getting stuck and surprises.

Very helpful gathering and everyone there contributed to the group learning. true Pelican style

Last edited by reachme; 04-16-2018 at 02:15 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
I'd like to echo some of the comments already made by my fellow graduating Class 3, fantastic experience and the fact that it was in my own back yard when there's people flying in from California made it like a second birthday in the same year.

As far as the class was concerned, different experience levels and we all benefited, regardless of our previous level of experience.

I've done a lot of wrenching on my car, but diving into an engine rebuild remained taboo. This class not only showed me that it's no harder to rebuild an engine than it is to do any other type of intricate repair on our cars that we wouldn't think twice about undertaking, like a complete brake overhaul, a CV joint refurbish, or rebuilding a pedal box. Doing a cam adjustment is no harder than it is to adjust a 915 shifter, you just need the right tools. The only difference is you need more planning, more preparation, and much more time. Tony even showed us which tools were must haves and which we could make ourselves from a Home Depo run.

The nuts and bolts end of it? I realized I had that covered when I was able to slip a piston into the cylinder without issue on my first try. Insert a circlip into a wrist pin after one observation and a few questions and simply getting the feel for how to do it. You can read till you're blue in the face but when you actually feel the difference between a tight valve, a loose valve and a just right valve. No amount of reading will ever give you the same confidence of what it is you're looking for.

I went in an engine rebuilding lamb and I came out an engine rebuilding lion. Thank you Tony!

Last edited by McLaren-TAG; 04-16-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
2 days of videotaping? - I don't see it happening. An attendee isn't interested in doing that, they want to be hands-on involved....

Jason
Doesn't have to be 2 days of recording.

Even short video clips of parts of the classes taken with someone's cell phone will be very helpful in the sharing and learning DIY spirit of the forum as alluded to in the very first post of the thread.

Reading a book is not the same as watching a video of the process.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Doesn't have to be 2 days of recording.

Even short video clips of parts of the classes taken with someone's cell phone will be very helpful in the sharing and learning DIY spirit of the forum as alluded to in the very first post of the thread.

Reading a book is not the same as watching a video of the process.
Find a local PCA group, let them know about what Tony is doing here and see if you can get a group to do it in your area. This was something that was as grass roots as you can get. Couple of reasons why video taping it, at least during the first time you do it is a no go.

1) if you're worried about getting the videos, you're not focusing on what's being shared. A lot of the knowledge doesn't just come from the video, it comes with the narrative and side story as to why you need to do it the way it's being instructed. If you're there to do a video, you're not present and you're not learning.

2) a lot of the class is about explaining the use of the specialty tools and how to use them and more importantly how to make your own versions of the specialty tools for a pennies on the dollar.

3) There is always always always someone in the way either watching or actually hands on doing, the last thing they'd want is someone sticking their phone in to get a video. Especially since things don't always work on the first time, you have to try them three or four times before you get the feel or figure out why it's not working as it should. Again, no way to capture the sequence of that in a short clip because you'd have to stage them to keep it short.

If you want this, organize something locally, it is very straight forward, but it is also very exhausting from a labor standpoint. I was tired so i can imagine Tony being there early to prep and staying late to clean up.

Labor of love simply paying it forward to the P community.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

OK will add my other 2 cents worth. just time for a quick reply yesterday.

as they say, the devil is in the details.

what Tony's class accomplishes is familiarity with the physical aspects of disassembly and reassembly. explaining the processes involved, seeing/using the tools, etc.

now with that experience, it will allow you to focus on the details of the rebuild without getting so hung up on the physical basics.

and as useful as Wayne's book is, or any book, it is a much better reference resource once you have gone through this process. seeing, touching, messing up, fixing, etc in a situation where you do not have the risk of a real rebuild.

getting everything CLEAN, applying sealant, gaskets, etc are those details that need focused attention during a real rebuild.

thanks again Tony for a great birthday weekend for me.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Garage
Group pictures........

Group 1 (April 5-6):

Left to right front row (kneeling): Don Rankin and Mike Fries.
Left to right back row (standing): Jason Mahoney, Joe Ferrante, Tony Donato, Jim Pertuit, and Chris Martin. Mac Kirkpatrick left early before the photo shoot.

Steve Stomski was generous to stop by and demonstrated the DigiDix electronic wheel that makes cam timing very easy and super accurate. Not until you use this tool would you appreciate its value and the precise cam timing setting.

Group 2 (April 12-13):

Front row (kneeling): Mike Frost
Back row (standing): Matt Ferrino, Sam Jeffries, Jin Lee, Michael Lise, Tony Donato, Gabe Shiwota, Tom Maull, David Yerkes, and Andrew Lindvig. Nauman Siddiqi and Yama Jewayni left before the photo shoot.

Imagine 11 people looking and watching at the same time and jockeying for position just to see what’s going on during the teardown process. Eight (8) to 10 participants would be the ideal number for participants for my class due to the size of the room.

Group 3 (April 14-15):

All standing left to right:
Bob Cox, Lou Locchetto Sr., Lou Locchetto Jr., John Caceres, Matt Ward, Saadat Khan, Jonathan Turner, Tom Holliday, Karin Khan, and Jason Bastis.

What surprised me most was how the participants collectively worked together to solve and fixed the problem we encountered during cam timing. These were the people who never disassembled a 911engine before and just by overcoming their anxiety on working with this engine, they found and located the root cause of the problem. I was totally amazed how good they were!!!!!

I went back the following day and inspected their work. I failed twice before to do cam timing on this engine and switched to the other to demonstrate the cam timing procedure. My students succeeded where I failed. Today, the two (2) motors are good for cam timing demonstrations which the last group (April 26-27) would be using.

Thanks to everyone.

Tony
Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Let me know when and where.

My website: mẫu chân mày ngang

Last edited by Erickem; 04-25-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Great stuff Tony - i am glad I was in the smaller class though! That room must have gotten hot
Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Garage
The 4th group.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Group 1 (April 5-6):

Left to right front row (kneeling): Don Rankin and Mike Fries.
Left to right back row (standing): Jason Mahoney, Joe Ferrante, Tony Donato, Jim Pertuit, and Chris Martin. Mac Kirkpatrick left early before the photo shoot.

Steve Stomski was generous to stop by and demonstrated the DigiDix electronic wheel that makes cam timing very easy and super accurate. Not until you use this tool would you appreciate its value and the precise cam timing setting.

Group 2 (April 12-13):

Front row (kneeling): Mike Frost
Back row (standing): Matt Ferrino, Sam Jeffries, Jin Lee, Michael Lise, Tony Donato, Gabe Shiwota, Tom Maull, David Yerkes, and Andrew Lindvig. Nauman Siddiqi and Yama Jewayni left before the photo shoot.

Imagine 11 people looking and watching at the same time and jockeying for position just to see what’s going on during the teardown process. Eight (8) to 10 participants would be the ideal number for participants for my class due to the size of the room.

Group 3 (April 14-15):

All standing left to right:
Bob Cox, Lou Locchetto Sr., Lou Locchetto Jr., John Caceres, Matt Ward, Saadat Khan, Jonathan Turner, Tom Holliday, Karin Khan, and Jason Bastis.

What surprised me most was how the participants collectively worked together to solve and fixed the problem we encountered during cam timing. These were the people who never disassembled a 911engine before and just by overcoming their anxiety on working with this engine, they found and located the root cause of the problem. I was totally amazed how good they were!!!!!

I went back the following day and inspected their work. I failed twice before to do cam timing on this engine and switched to the other to demonstrate the cam timing procedure. My students succeeded where I failed. Today, the two (2) motors are good for cam timing demonstrations which the last group (April 26-27) would be using.

Thanks to everyone.

Tony

Group 4 (April 26-27):

Another great time with the guys from this forum. The problem with had at the end of the second day could be attributed to poor communication on my part. I was not clear and specific with some of my instructions. In my eagerness to allow the participants to have more hands on experience with engine rebuilding, I was not vigilant to keep track on everything they did. But what was amazing was some of the guys were able to diagnose and analyzed the problem. Here they are..........

Front (kneeling, left to right):
Mike Fiasher and David Calkins

Second row (standing, left to right):
Brian Folkes
Phil Webb
Bruce Reilly
Dale Durbin
Tony Donato
David Clardy
Tim Mosser
Skip Geissel
Kevin North

The time we spent together doing the things we all commonly enjoy was very memorable. I am grateful to have the opportunities to share my limited engine rebuilding experiences with fellow 911enthusiasts. Thanks for your participation.

Tony
Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
Tony you did a great job with the class and you enabled me to accomplish my goal for attending your session. I have read the books and watched numerous videos on tear down and rebuild of 911 engines, but your instructions and the hands on experience has given me the confidence to start on my engine. Goal Achieved!

I am now one of your apostles -- you do not need tons of special tools, cleaning is essential, proper application of sealants are a must, inspect your components and most important -take your time!

The generosity of your time with fellow 911 enthusiasts was more than appreciated! Many thanks to you and Amor for doing this.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)
DMD77911S

Garage
Best time and money spent

Plus 1 on everything Bruce said!!! (thanks Bruce) I plan on dropping
my motor this wknd.
I have already collected a lot of parts and can’t Thank Tony enough
for sharing his time and knowledge with us all!!!
Thanks again to Tony and Amor for their generosity their time and hard work
It is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Did you ever decide on any dates for June or July or later? I would like to attend this class but I am trying to arrange it with my work schedule.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
+1 on that - I am very interested in attending. Any idea when the next class(es) will be?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Garage
Future Engine Rebuilding Classes.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Did you ever decide on any dates for June or July or later? I would like to attend this class but I am trying to arrange it with my work schedule.

I have received numerous emails expressing their desires for summer sessions. While I enjoyed the experience and commaderie with the 39 participants during these class sessions in April 2018, I deeply regret to announce that I will not offer any sessions this year. The time and effort to have an engine rebuilding session/s was too much for me and my wife to handle. I might do it again in the future maybe next year but I am done for this year.

Someone younger and have a lot of free time could make similar classes for the other members of this community. Right now, I am taking my second retirement and spend my free time to finish several projects that have been delayed. Thanks to all.

Tony
Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Garage
Happy belated birthday, Tony. I feel very fortunate to have been one of the 39. Your energy and enthusiasm tend to cloud our ability to see you as a 75 yr young man.

Enjoy your summer with Amor and family.

Jason
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Tony, thanks for all of your effort. I am certain that it was a large amount of work. If you decide to do them again let us know if there are any ways that we can help alleviate some of the work of the classes. I am very interested in something like this and would be happy to help in any way that I can.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
That makes total sense, Tony. Thanks for your effort and contribution to the community. If anyone considers picking up the torch that Tony has passed, please let us know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find a class like this extremely valuable.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: