Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
scumbag

Garage
my low budget dream car build

you'll never get rich working for the State.
and the only way to make money building a project car...
well...
wait...
yeah. we all know project cars are rivaled only by ex-wives for the amount of money they consume.
so here i am with a State job and a project 911. i'm never going to retire. ever.

so when i was a wee lad, i had a 930 poster on my wall. it's haunted me for decades. i've had a high-powered turbo, awd, vw R32, an LS-powered e36 M3, and a whole host of less impressive, but equally fun, projects over the last 20 years.

but no Porsches. until now.

my former boss has a nice 964 c2 with some tasteful mods and driving it was my first taste of aircooled 911. it really cemented that i needed to get off my rump and collect my own. fast forward a few years (and blaze right by that LS-powered M3), and i go with him to the edge of nowhere to collect a 79 SC that he found on Craigslist at 2am with no pictures. i helped load it up and drive it home the whole time furious that i hadn't found it and that i wasn't in the right financial shape to buy it. another year goes by, i've sold the M3 and scratched up some $$$ and i bought that very same 79 SC that Kevin bought. AAA was kind enough to bring it to my house for the princely sum of $8, and i had my very own 911 and it was even in my own garage.

well now what the heck do i do with myself? i've spent all my monies just getting it home. it hasn't run in ~7 years, it looks kinda sad, and smells truly offensive.

Last edited by chrisbalich; 03-04-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
i started where i can. by cleaning the awful right out of it.

and only evidence of the most recent drive. found this in the ashtray.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
equal parts curiosity and temporary storage, i laid the interior back in place after spending an entire weekend cleaning the bits.

not great. but not terrible. it's a start.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations.
I’ve owned few cars myself but barn find definition is definitely the most extreme I’ve seen here so far.
From what I have seen so far yours is in not that bad shape to get it going in no time and have it rolling project.

One other thing to take in consideration, parts are expensive as hell, way more than bmw and Mercedes but easy to find, lots of after market and pelican parts have great selection.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
some time later i pushed my steaming heap out into the drive to sweep the garage and get a full daylight view of what i've gotten myself into.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats from another 79 owner.
Those seats are worth quite a little $.
Best of luck with it.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Nice find, looks fairly rust free.

Keep watching the classifieds and post wanted to buy for stuff you need and that should stretch the budget.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 03-04-2018, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Awesome man. There is a lot you can do with little or no money and you've shown that. Cleaning out that interior is just a lot of sweat equity. Those seats look awesome. It was an original white car for sure. Very nice rear parcel shelf - you have that going for you, which is nice.

I'd drop the entire engine out with trans attached. Check those head studs. Then you can re-seal the top of the engine (very little money), adjust the valves, do the rear main and pulley seal (again, not much money), check ALL the gas lines.

Then you can clean out the fuel tank (no money), bleed the brakes (no money), and see where you are. Heck, I would leave it red. Just get it running safely (ie. no gas leaks, new tires, brakes) and drive it. Don't tear it all apart. Get it ready before June 1st and drive it all summer.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
ever opened a door or hood or anything looked upon the unholy mess contained within and thought, "this simply will not do."

i've made some expensive calls to the west coast. i look forward to some packages from Al K in the coming weeks.

and i've started the border-line illicit relationship with our benevolent host...
Old 03-04-2018, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
Congratulations.
Iíve owned few cars myself but barn find definition is definitely the most extreme Iíve seen here so far.
From what I have seen so far yours is in not that bad shape to get it going in no time and have it rolling project.

One other thing to take in consideration, parts are expensive as hell, way more than bmw and Mercedes but easy to find, lots of after market and pelican parts have great selection.

Good luck.
i'm very aware of the cost of parts. but the flipside is that the parts i have are worth quite a bit more than comparable bits from other marques.
sadly, my plans will not reach their conclusion for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Congrats from another 79 owner.
Those seats are worth quite a little $.
Best of luck with it.
thank you!
i keep telling myself i don't want another set of fixed back racing buckets....but interior is literally last on my list. time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Nice find, looks fairly rust free.

Keep watching the classifieds and post wanted to buy for stuff you need and that should stretch the budget.
thank you!
only one spot of significant rust to fix and a little surface scabbing to grind out and it'll be right as rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Awesome man. There is a lot you can do with little or no money and you've shown that. Cleaning out that interior is just a lot of sweat equity. Those seats look awesome. It was an original white car for sure. Very nice rear parcel shelf - you have that going for you, which is nice.

I'd drop the entire engine out with trans attached. Check those head studs. Then you can re-seal the top of the engine (very little money), adjust the valves, do the rear main and pulley seal (again, not much money), check ALL the gas lines.

Then you can clean out the fuel tank (no money), bleed the brakes (no money), and see where you are. Heck, I would leave it red. Just get it running safely (ie. no gas leaks, new tires, brakes) and drive it. Don't tear it all apart. Get it ready before June 1st and drive it all summer.
i'm currently paring back the wiring (no cuts. uninstalling) and the engine/trans will be coming out next in preparation for bodywork and paint. going back to GP White. the red is just awful up close. very poorly done.

the CIS is not only removed, but sold and delivered to its new owner.
my new EFI is being constructed and i hope to see it in a few weeks.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Welcome to the club. A lot of us on this site have been there done that. The end result will make it all worth while.

A few cans of spray paint and the Used Parts Forum and you will be good to go.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 03-04-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

EFI? Did it run? Maybe you should have stayed with the CIS.

I would check the tunnel lines. Also, do yourself a favor and go to Home Depot and get some rubber plugs for the intake ports. The ones they have fit very well - the crumpled paper towel doesn't work - I've done it in a pinch, but I really like to seal the intakes.

I'm interested to see if the studs are all there and the Divilar isn't broken. Either way, looks like you're in it.

Back to the original white is very choice.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Welcome to the club. A lot of us on this site have been there done that. The end result will make it all worth while.

A few cans of spray paint and the Used Parts Forum and you will be good to go.
that's the plan...where applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
EFI? Did it run? Maybe you should have stayed with the CIS.

I would check the tunnel lines. Also, do yourself a favor and go to Home Depot and get some rubber plugs for the intake ports. The ones they have fit very well - the crumpled paper towel doesn't work - I've done it in a pinch, but I really like to seal the intakes.

I'm interested to see if the studs are all there and the Divilar isn't broken. Either way, looks like you're in it.

Back to the original white is very choice.
there is no way CIS was going to stay. i've had it before on other cars and i just hate it. ITBs have been the goal and i'm not holding back on this build.
i'm going to cut plates and bolt them down to the intake ports...sometime between now and shortly after pulling the motor.
i'll definitely be inspecting (and likely replacing) the fuel system from the tank back. (not trying to change the tank) and the wiring will also all be coming out to be pared, tidied, re-loomed, and re-routed. ugly wiring makes me sad.

and i agree, original GP White is the way to go. it's just perfect.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong but are those not upgraded carrera tensioners? Someone cared about that car in it's past.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man neri View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but are those not upgraded carrera tensioners? Someone cared about that car in it's past.

also has SSIs, the dual in/out muffler, SS brake lines, a camber truss, Bilstein shocks
and a Fittipaldi steering wheel. also came with an extra set of wheels. (CCW Classics)
it's a ROW car with a few touches. a nice base from which to build for sure.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
The sports seats are worth a pretty penny. If you are not super attached yet, you could get a few grand for them and use the proceeds to buy some nice regular seats which work just great and have a few grand left over for engine, etc. do some research on Sport Seat asking prices and you will get quite a surprise.

As for the exterior, I would put in glass and seals, make sure all the lights work and just clear coat it as is. The overused word, patina, is so right on that car it would make a classic rat rod. Better yet, without a full respray, you will never have to worry about rock chips, Door dings, dents and all the stuff that drives most Porsche owners crazy. You will also be admired by those in the know and shunned by the anal compulsives. Clear it and just drive it.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
i'm very aware of the cost of parts. but the flipside is that the parts i have are worth quite a bit more than comparable bits from other marques.
sadly, my plans will not reach their conclusion for a few years.

thank you!
i keep telling myself i don't want another set of fixed back racing buckets....but interior is literally last on my list. time will tell.
Awesome stuff, Chris.

That factory interior is in incredible shape ! Especially more so considering the rest of the car. I would hold on to those seats given they are the original factory, near impossible to replace.

Good idea ditching the CIS for EFI. The engine will thank you in the long run.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
got a little more wiring to remove, interior to pull back out, and then i get to start the really awful stuff.

60 yards of sandpaper for the blocks, 110 discs for the orbital. figure that's a start at getting rid of all this terrible red. but before i can work my fingers to nubs, i have to wreck my back bent over pulling wires. :thumbdown:
Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

keep those seats ,its no fun sliding around on std buckets.you could go sparco,etc,but you NEEDhigh bolsters to keep your tuckus planted in the corners.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Nice project. Good luck with it!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: