Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Re-stitching Dan's Targa Top Edging?

My targa top was rebuilt by Dan of CarsInc fame about 6 years ago. I noticed that the stitching holding the edging has started to come undone in a couple spots. The picture below is the most notable area.

Any ideas on how to best remedy this before it worsens would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Take it to an upholstery shop. Suggest auto or marine vs furniture.

Get the old thread out and re-stitch. You will probably be surprised at the cost. Low. Not high.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It would be interesting to see what Targa Dan says about that. Rob
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I wonder if that top fabric isn’t purchased and then installed by Dan? Either way, the stitching needs to be redone on that vinyl top.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 05-08-2018, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I contacted an area upholstery and was given some contacts for good auto upholstery shops in my area. I will update when I have details/costs for future reference.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If only a small part, try this yourself. Be sure to match the thread.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
BTW the needle is a cheap sawing machine needle glued to any wooden end.
These are pictures from a different project, but it can be applied here.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Rvidal,

I continue to marvel at your upholstery handiwork and now photo skills too. Please continue sharing. This is very helpful and might even motivate an all thumbs like me to attempt fixing the seats myself.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Targa top stitching problem

This should not occur. I have seen this only one other time and that is when top was left at body shop sitting out side near exhaust fan. Chemicals just destroyed stitches.
Vintage parts
609 298 2277
carsinc@comcast.net
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsinc View Post
This should not occur. I have seen this only one other time and that is when top was left at body shop sitting out side near exhaust fan. Chemicals just destroyed stitches.
I'm not sure what happened to make it fail. Last night I used outdoor thread and a leather needle and carefully repaired all the areas that were damaged.
In total, there were 7 failed areas with 30 total inches. I am concerned that other areas will also fail. The bad areas were mostly folds, as well as the middle and a few other spots.

I have been driving the car for about 6 years and don't store it in the sun or near chemicals. During winter it is in my garage with the Targa top installed, not folded.

Here are the areas I repaired. It appears the stitching on the top became weak and began ripping out in some places.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Targa top stitching problem

As mentioned I have been doing Targa top rebuilds and have only heard of this twice and both cases were body shop related.
Vintage parts
609 298 2277
carsinc@comcast.net
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Well, sorry to report, it looks like 4 on record, 2 non-body shop or chem related.

Mine popped last night. I was cleaning up after a 5 hour road trip and as I was removing dead insects off of the wind screen, I noticed a loose top stitch at or near the passenger side folding portion:

She is a always garaged unless I am driving her and I rarely if ever fold the top or leave my car at a shop.

Nothing last forever, :-) mine about 6 years.

Dan, if I may, you may need to check/calibrate your sewing machine or consider using a stronger/thicker thread. I would send it to you for repair but Cali to NJ and back would be quite expensive. If anything, maybe offer a repair kit with proper needle size and matching thread?

OsoMoore, where did you get your needle and thread?
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

a suggestion of what "possibly" caused it , but no suggestion yet to have it returned and fixed for free as he stands behind his work. ??
2014 Nissan Murano (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
I would send it to you for repair but Cali to NJ and back would be quite expensive.
I asked this before but no one answered.

How much was the shipping ? Does it have to be by freight ?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Well just looked at my 2013 receipt, UPS ship to him was $20. That ain't bad if he will pay for the return ship.

I guess I can ask Dan but this is my daily and I can stitch it myself for a few dollars. Just need to know what type of thread and needle size.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Well, sorry to report, it looks like 4 on record, 2 non-body shop or chem related.

Mine popped last night. I was cleaning up after a 5 hour road trip and as I was removing dead insects off of the wind screen, I noticed a loose top stitch at or near the passenger side folding portion:

She is a always garaged unless I am driving her and I rarely if ever fold the top or leave my car at a shop.

Nothing last forever, :-) mine about 6 years.

Dan, if I may, you may need to check/calibrate your sewing machine or consider using a stronger/thicker thread. I would send it to you for repair but Cali to NJ and back would be quite expensive. If anything, maybe offer a repair kit with proper needle size and matching thread?

OsoMoore, where did you get your needle and thread?
I went to Jo-ann fabrics and bought a small set of needles that included a "leather needle". I also bought some thread called outdoor or exterior thread. A grizzled veteran at the store helped me pick it out. Also, I obtain a thimble. Total cost $15.
My work isn't beautiful, but I think it was sufficient. I suspect I'll be doing more in the next year or two as more of the original thread deteriorates.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
... and you chose blue thread because .... ??
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Probably best to just do the entire front edge while you’re there. You can assume that the other areas will fail at some time.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
... and you chose blue thread because .... ??
Darkest of the colors the fabric store had on hand. Red might have been a nice highlight color.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
suggestion just to throw some shoe polish on them
Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: