Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

forgot to post this-

both of my heat exhangers are beyond repair so i got curious to see what was under the metal, to my surprise there was a very nice tubular "header" of sorts under my crusty metal.... it took me almost an hour to slice apart what was left of the metal but it cleaned up the underside of the car a little.... now i just have to rip apart the drivers side. it's not as bad but still not salvageable

Old 07-08-2018, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

the missing pieces arrived today

Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

intake boot and fuel filter installed, fuel tank is back in but did not start as the fuel pump just got really hot presumably from being locked up! new pump on thursday and we will try this all over again

Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Cool progress
Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Where did you source the intake boot? Also you can reverse the polarity on the pump and see if it frees itself, might get some more life out of it!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
Cool progress
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csapp05 View Post
Where did you source the intake boot? Also you can reverse the polarity on the pump and see if it frees itself, might get some more life out of it!
i got it on ebay from auto atlanta.

after testing resistance at the ground wire i jumped the fuel pump with a wire off the battery and it did nothing that's when i noticed how freakin hot it was from cranking the car! time for a new one
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Last night I dissected the drivers side heat exchanger and despite it being repaired decent on the outside it was a rusted mess inside. The metal was paper thin in some places, a screwdriver could pierce it with little effort. I did some odds and ends, put new clutch and throttle cable suspension straps in, fed my speedometer wire back through the tunnel, broke one of my heater control flap cables lol. Great night. New parts arrive this evening. For the 2.5 people viewing this thread there might be a running video this evening if it A: starts and B: I can figure out how to upload it here.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

a box of porsche ingredients arrived today

results will be posted shortly

Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

condenser was bad so I put my new ignition components and she fired up a little slow at first.... lots of small animal nests being expelled from exhaust and a hard misfire... went over everything again and realized I had 3+4 plug wires backwards for whatever reason so i swappd them then... almost 30 years waiting... its ALIVE

https://youtu.be/-wxAoUE2WjY

Last edited by ryans65; 07-15-2018 at 03:34 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

it was strange seeing this thing outside the shop!!

Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

BIG CONGRATS!!
It's a very satisfying feeling!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

thank you, yes very satisfying indeed! lots more to do but I was so relieved all the old fuel injection stuff was still functioning... i was basically just rolling the dice on those components still working after all those years in the barn/ chicken coop

good stuff:

trans shifts smooth
speedo works somehow even after i repaired the mouse chewed sender wires
brakes feel good, a little springy but i want to do one more manual bleed
steering and suspension feel fantastic despite the age
engine feels strong, smooth, not what i expected but that's a good thing!

bad:

clutch is really really bad, won't hold up hills or under load so that needs addressed and the push rod tubes are leaking at the heads so i'll send this motor to my motor guy for a top end rebuild while it's out for the clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter leinberge View Post
BIG CONGRATS!!
It's a very satisfying feeling!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

pulled the motor in preparation for the clutch replacement, clutch assembly was toast! probably needs a flywheel too

Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: