Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

flooding with stock engine and d-jet

i have been having a problem recently with my engine flooding! The engine is stock 2.0L with stock d-jet. it seems that when i start the car in the morning in the garage, no problem. the car is then in the parking lot at work in the sun, and a couple of times, the engine flooded (gas dripped out of muffler) upon trying to start. i ended up clamping the inlet fuel hose from the gas tank to the fuel rail and trying to start the car until it was no longer flooded, then when it would fire up, unclamp the hose. car would run ok on ride home. any experience/suggestions?
Old 11-04-1999, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Be sure to check to see if you have gas mixed in your oil! If gas was running out of the exhaust thats bad.
Old 11-04-1999, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Change the oil and filter! Oil thinned down by gasoline doesn't lubricate that well...

Another possibility: The wire came off the thermo-time switch. When that happened to me, it grounded against the engine case and the cold start valve squirted the whole time the starter motor was cranking. Way too rich; engine flooded.

--DD
Old 11-05-1999, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for your advice. i checked the fuel pressure, seems ok @ 34 psi, then i checked the head temp sensor which measured 10-12k ohms stone cold. i think it's supposed to be 4k ohms. i changed the head temp sensor and am test driving the car, so far so good. another symptom was a high engine idle, also cured. checked oil level at fuel stop, didn't seem diluted with gas.
Old 11-15-1999, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup, 12K ohms is too high. BTW, 34 PSI is a bit high. If you seem to still be runnning rich (check the spark plugs for black sooty deposits) you might tweak it down to ~29 PSI. If you seem to be running fine, don't bother with it.

Before you drive the car any more, smell the oil. It should NOT smell like gasoline; if it does then change it.

--DD
Old 11-15-1999, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have battle the flooding on a couple of my cars. When I suspected it was flooded I found that unplugging the mps plug allowed the engine to dry out and fire, then I would plug it back in. I suppose you could do the same with the distributor plug if it came out easier. Be gentle, you don't want to break the plastic plugs.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yikes! Old thread.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Yeah, a spammer necro'd it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
Wow. It's like deja-vu all over again....
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm having the same problem with my 1.7. Its a 70 model.

The mechanic says that all injectors are firing at the same time and the car won't start. I brought it in because it was running a little rough once warm. He called me to say that the car is spraying fuel all over the place and was running out of the tail pipe as well. Now it won't fire because its always flooding. He said everything else checked out.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: