Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face New 914 owner in Orlando area needs help!

Hello all, I recently lucked into a running '73 914 1.7 for almost free. The only problem is I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PORSCHES. I have worked on Fords, Chevys, Mopars even Toyotas but I am lost on this thing. I ordered a Haynes 914 shop manual but it will be a couple of weeks before it gets here and I want drive this thing NOW!. However it has been sitting for a couple of years and I would like to at least change the oil, check the transmission gear oil and all that. Changing the oil is no problem I found everything there, but whats the oil capacity for the 1.7? Second question is where and how do you check the transmission gear oil? Whats the capacity on that? I would like to find a good mechanic in the Orlando area I can take it to to let me know what if anything is wrong with it before I start addressing its appearance deficits. Anyone know anyone? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John
Old 09-29-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Karl, can you stop jousting with Miles for a minute and help this guy out.

Oil capacity is 3.7 liters including filter.

Please, please check the brakes before you try moving this thing under its own power.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I bled the brakes and found the rear rubber coupling hoses(?) both leak. Im having a hard time getting them loose where it joins the steel line up under the body. I cant get both hands up there to apply enough pressure. If I had a lift it would be no problem but I dont so I'm kinda stuck. Any tricks? I was going to just cut the hose at the fitting and see if I could get a 17mm deep wall socket on it and break it loose with an impact wrench. Which seems kind of extreme. I dont want to strip the steel lines fitting or anything like that.

Thanks again Paul
Old 09-29-2003, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh man.... Oh man,
are you in for a rude awakening
You've just started on an adventure with no end in site
Welcome to our neuro-sees Not only should you check the brakes but pop the engine bay lid & see if there's any liquid (gas) running about. If there is shut it off... take no chances.
Welcome to the club & good luck
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-29-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Have someone knowledgable about 914s in your area check it out for rust to make sure it's worth keeping! Rust is a huge problem on 914s and many cars get scrapped because of it.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Congrats on your new mental disorder!

OoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOk.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 09-29-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

John,

You want to speak with Ron Zitza at Zotz Garage in Winter Park. 407-678-6789. They race 914s, own 914s, and play with 914s. They can set you straight.

They are moving their race shop to somewhere off Edgewater,

I'd be glad to help you too, unfortunately, I am slammed for the next 10 days with a conference my company is hosting.

Send me an e-mail or private message and we can get togethre and chat about 914s.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Like I always say, the most expensive porsche you can get is a free one. You're looking at a complete overhaul of all things mechanical. If you can't stomach it, move along, it can get painful, and expensive. But...it's very rewarding.

BTW...what's the significance of the verse you reference?

sw
Old 09-29-2003, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by woodman
BTW...what's the significance of the verse you reference?

sw
.....after I bought my 914... it sure opened MY eyes
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-30-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No meaning behind my name. Just thought of something quick. I dont even know if there is a verse John 9:14. The car really seems to be in decent condition. I know the previous owner and it was well kept for about 10 years, but the last couple of years its been sitting outside and accumulated some rust. The most troubling areas are beneath the seats and next to the gas pedal. Im working on it at my fathers metal fabricating shop and I'm a pretty decent welder so a little rust is no problem. The engine sounds good, although you never know. I have receipts from 3 years ago where most of the gaskets and seals where replaced. The clutch..........I dont know, you have to kinda of fan it a little to get it into first and reverse or hold it down for a couple of seconds. After that it shifts smoothly(and yes I drove it down a deserted road with NO BRAKES!!). I know this thing isnt going to be for the faint of heart as soon as I tried replacing those brake lines, something that seems very simple is just kicking my arse. But I have wanted a 914 literally since I was 7 so I WILL NOT BE DENIED!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

And so it begins . . .

I wonder how many posts we see that start out, "I just got a 914 and don't know anything about them . . ."
Old 09-30-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Heh...

The rear brake lines are a serious PITA to replace. Best bet is to get the thing waaaaaaay up in the air as best you can--the fittings on the body are very tough to get to as you have already noticed. Removing the clips, even, is a real pain. I know some people who prefer to drop the engine to get at them... No, I'm not kidding.... But then, some I know prefer to drop the engine when they check the oil level! (Almost.)

Oil: With filter, 4 quarts works very well. Overfilling by up to a half-quart is a Good Thing generally, as it gives you a little more oil to heat up and to stay near the pickup tube in corners, and it's not enough to hurt anything.

Transmission fluid: Change it, don't bother checking it. Remove the fill plug FIRST! Always always always!!! Use a 17mm Allen socket, or a VW Bug "transmission wrench"--they use the same drain and fill plugs as we do. Then remove the drain plug and catch all the oil and metal shavings coming out. (Some is normal, but having oil that is full of silvery flecks is bad.)

Get 3 quarts of a good gear oil--I prefer Swepco. You'll likely only use 2 quarts, or possibly a bit more, but having too much is better than not having enough. Use a "marine flush kit" (available at your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store)--a hand-pump which fits on quart bottles--to pump the gear oil up into the transmission fill hole. There is a similar pump avaliable for gallon bottles if you wind up buying those instead. The transmission is full when the level is just even with the bottom of the fill hole--assuming the car is level, which is very rarely the case when you're under the back of it...

...And as they've all said, welcome to your new obsession. Many times you will wonder if it's worth all the heartache, skinned knuckles, money, and sweat. But the first tight corner you take, under perfect control, at stupid-fast speeds will tell you "HELL YES IT IS!!!"

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
Heh...

But the first tight corner you take, under perfect control, at stupid-fast speeds will tell you "HELL YES IT IS!!!"

--DD
I lost count of how many times I smiled myass off when this happens!!!
Right on Dave you said it perfectly
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-30-2003, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Allert
Right on Dave you said it perfectly
bruce

OH MY GOD I AM EXCITED! I WANT TO DRIVE NOW!

Laters!

M

Old 09-30-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. Except for you BOB. That wasnt positive. Im a newbie, cant help that. And a firm believer in the phrase "the only stupid question is the one thats not asked". Armed with this information I think I can get it on the road for a quick drive to the Zotz. I spoke with them today and they seem as excited about getting my car in there as I am. Which I'm trying to figure out if thats a good thing or not$$$ I just want a professional to look it over first so I can prioritize the restoration process.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

"And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes."

See?

M

Old 09-30-2003, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Ron and the crew at Zotz will treat you right.

They have several 914 cars they support...

http://www.zotz.biz/_wsn/page4.html

You have something in common with them. They have a psalm on their web page...

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice! Psalm118:24

Maybe it was meant to be! Ha ha! I am 5 minutes from Zotz in Winter Park, so I can come by and meet you if you are there.

I will e-mail you my phone at work.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Everyone knows you can't email a phone.

M

Old 09-30-2003, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

ROTFLMAO
Old 09-30-2003, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Toast
ROTFLMAO
I bet that has to be an interesting sight!
Ouch... ohh... oww... ouch
Old 09-30-2003, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: