Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rob914
weird question

my car started driving really weird lately. when i step on the gas and begin to accelerate the car almost feels like its rolling over a log, the shifter moves back and forth and the car moves up and slams down, to the point that im worried it will crack the backglass. This happens mostly in first and second and can somewhat be controlled if i ride the clutch and accelerate slowly but that takes all the fun out of it. If i had enough money and it wasnt the end of summer id go get it fixed. Im just wondering if anyone knows whats going on with my car. its a 76 by the way
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Engine/Tranny mounts?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Your rubber motor mounts are busted. They can be replaced with the engine in the car - not fun - but it can be done (I've done it three times).

Have fun!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 10-15-2003, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ditto...motor mounts

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yup again... motor mounts. I'd heard how tough they were to replace but I had no problem. Just follow the tech article here on the PELICAN site. Good luck
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
All I can say is "Air Ratchet". It makes it a lot easier. I have done it a few times.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I agree with everyone else--motor mounts. What is happening is your engine is actualy 'moving' when you shift gears. It is not real safe to continue driving with them broken because your engine may fall out if the mounts complely break! (dont know that for sure--just wanted to scare ya) (did it work?)
Get the mounts fixed at your earliest convience.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It won't actually fall out--the brackets on the case sit on top of the motor mount bar. But it's still not a good thing at all!

The toughest part is getting to the nuts on the top side of the rubber mounts. I found that a stubby 1/4" drive ratchet worked. I think I also removed the oil filter so I could get my arm into the area where the top of the mounts are by way of the oil filter area.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

1. Yes, most likely motor mounts. Swap 'em like everyone else says.

2. I had very similar if not the same symptoms. Swapped out motor & tranny mounts & the problem persisted. Dropped the engine & found that the flywheel was worn so low that the flywheel mounting bolts were rubbing/shearing/pounding against the clutch disk when letting the clutch out until the surfaces mated. Replaced the flywheel, clutch disk & pressure plate & the issue was finally resolved.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Well the flywheel is not as easy to fix as motor mounts. I use a 1/4 in drive air ratchet to remove and replace the bolts on the top of the motor mounts and it works great. You dont have to try to find room to move the ratchet back and forth.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-15-2003, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ooooo Oooooo, I know this one....... Damn, too late.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sammy... good Horshack impersonation
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-15-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

HAH - beat ya to it Sammy

Air Rachet, what the hell is an air rachet, sounds like one of them new fangled toys I heard of.

It's "Arnold S's" type fingers is what gets the job done (and boy are they sore later).

Also helps to have a lift too!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"

Last edited by Ron Meier; 10-15-2003 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-15-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Meier
It's "Arnold S's" type fingers is what gets the job done (and boy are they sore later).
Speaking of Arnold...I think I've named the new car:

The Govenator
Old 10-15-2003, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oh, and you can check the motor mounts. Put the car up in the air (securely!!) and then lift up the motor with your floor jack. Use a piece of wood as a pad.

If the motor moves more than a tiny amount, the mounts are busted. You can easily lift the motor several inches with busted motor mounts.

Note that all of this is talking about the late side-shift motor mount setup, the early setup is rather different.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-16-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: