Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Recreational User

Left front brake binding...

Hi board!

I've got a problem with my left front brake binding. Last time out I began hearing a chirp up there when rolling slow that went away with slight pressure on the brake, however there is no pull to one side or the other when I brake to stop.

Tonight I jacked-up the car and the wheel was definitely binding and would only spin about 3/4 of a revolution. Removing the wheel and spraying brake cleaning fluid beteen the rotor and the pads seemed to lubricate the rotor and it would spin fine until the brake cleaner evaporated.

Top-to-bottom and side-to-side wheel bearing play is fine.

So is there anything I can try first before the last resort of rebuilding (or replacing) the brake caliper?

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

Darryl D.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
First, bleed the brakes. Cheap and easy, and sometimes works on all manner of odd problems.

Next, check the rubber "flex lines" going to the calipers. Their typical failure mode is to break down internally and swell shut. Your foot (and the master cylinder) can generate enough pressure to force fluid past the restriction, but the little square seals in the caliper cannot generate enough pressure to push the fluid back through. This results in a caliper that won't let go.

I reccommend new stock rubber brake lines. They only last 20-30 years or so... I know SS lines are favored by some, but I prefer the rubber ones. (We can get into that "holy war" discussion later if you like, but it's a bit like oils. Everyone has their favorite, and nobody is willing to change.)

If new rubber lines don't fix the problem (replace them in pairs!), then a caliper rebuild is in your future...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-30-2004, 04:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Recreational User

Hey Dave!

Wouldn't you know it, I've got the braided stainless steel lines on mine and they were installed at the same time as the calipers, about 6000 miles ago.

I ordered an Eezibleed from Eastwoods today and will begin as you suggest with a good thorough brake bleeding session.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 01-30-2004, 07:57 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: