Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mark Wilson

Control arm bushing replacement

There is a big discussion on the 911 board about control arm bushings. One of the things that came up was that the bushings for the 914 and the 914 are the same.

My question is, what do you 914 guys do for an inexpensive alternative for the factory rubber busings. I don't want to spend the coin for polybronze, or new control arms.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by Mark Wilson; 03-25-2005 at 06:56 AM..
Old 03-25-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased the poly bushings at pelican. There about $40 for a set of 4. If you've never replaced yours before, you will need a torch to get the old ones out. After removing the suspension arms, you just burn the bushings for a minute and then they pry out with a screw driver.

The new bushings shoud be greased before installing and that will prevent sqeaks. I did mine about 2 years ago and they've worked out fine. And, my car no longer squeaks over every bump.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 03-25-2005, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The poly bushings are relatively inexpensive. They will squeak, though. Vern's experience is somewhat atypical (unless they start squeaking next week, in which case it's somewhat typical). Even when you grease them, they seem to start making noise after a year or two.

The bronze bushings or the roller bearing ("Mueller bearing") setups are other possibilities. Or replacing the stock bushings, which means replacing the stock A-arms.

BTW, it's only the front suspension which is (more or less, somewhat less than more) the same between the 911 and the 914. The rear is vastly different. I don't think Elephant Racing makes rear trailing arm bushings in bronze for our cars. Poly, roller bearing, or stock (replace the trailing arm) are your choices, there.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-25-2005, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't have any links handy...
but most of the 914ers that go poly, end up installing zerks and grooving the bushings to help facilitate reguar re-greasing.

I used to not have zerks and had to dissassemble 1x each year to re-grease.

brant
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 03-25-2005, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I was afraid of. Looks like options are limited for going back to stock.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Anyone know the approximate cost of new arms with stock rubber bushings (front and rear)? Too high to even consider?
Or within the realm of possibility if you are an OE freak like me?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How deep are your pockets?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_suspen_pg4.htm#item18

...I assume the trailing arms would not be cheaper than the A-arms...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-27-2005, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Not that deep.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: