Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Restart problem

Can anyone help trouble shoot a restart problem on a 1974-914-2.0L? Car will start and run gets up to normal operating temp. Then when shut off..... won't restart until cooled down. Engine will turn over and has spark.... It will start and stay running when starting fluid is used. Sensor fuel issue ?? look forward to your comments
Old 12-27-2006, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sorry - please clarify for me - it doesn't die when it gets hot, it just won't restart if turned off when its hot ?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Correct..... when I turn the key to shut down ... the engine temp is in the normal operating range and running O.K..... Then say I want to restart after 5-10 min.... The engine will turn over but won't fire up.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I discovered that if I tapped the fuel pump with a wrench or something, it would start. A new fuel pump cured it completely.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Vern...... Thanks for the tip... I will try that and research the new feul pump. Ron
Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If the fuel pump was bad it doesn't seem to me like it would keep running after the starter fluid trick. In the failure state, do you hear the pump hum for a second after turning the ignition on?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes ..... It does have the hum sound just as the key is switched on.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would guess that the fuel in the pump is getting hot after turning off the car. Then you have vapor lock. Is the pump still in the engine bay, or have you moved it up to the tank? If its at the tank, then disreguard. When this happens, do you get fuel at the injectors?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The fuel pump has not been moved..... I have not checked the injectors but when this problem occurs it is like you decribed "vapor lock" because I don't think there is fuel getting to the injectors on the restart.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 914fan
I would guess that the fuel in the pump is getting hot after turning off the car. Then you have vapor lock. Is the pump still in the engine bay, or have you moved it up to the tank? If its at the tank, then disreguard. When this happens, do you get fuel at the injectors?
this was my thought, but then would the starter fluid work to cure vapor lock?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm not clear on the starter fluid trick either..... but because of the starter fluid it does get the fuel moving through the system. Maybe I need to move the fuel pump. Need to reseach that. Thanks for the help. Ron
Old 12-30-2006, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Try this starting procedure - turn the key to the first position, let the fuel pump run, turn key off. Turn back to the first position, open the throttle completely and hold the pedal down. Now, crank it with the pedal on the floor, release when it starts.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Have not heard that tip until now..... Thank you... I will report back
Old 12-30-2006, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

OOOOhhhh...

Nice one Brad...

I never thought of that... use the fuel to cool off the system..

Sweet...

Clayton
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Wait to you see how much a fuel pump costs$$$. I had to replace mine last Summer and I think it was around 400 bucks. Hopefully relocating the original is the answer? Eddy
Old 01-02-2007, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
There's a guy selling new fuel pumps on ebay for $250 - I just bought one for my spare parts bin the other day.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you "think" your fuel is no longer flowing, it would be a very good idea to check the fuel pressure to see. It is a very unusual circumstance that keeps the fuel from flowing but still shows the correct fuel pressure in the high-pressure loop on top of the engine.

I have a small fuel pressure gauge quasi-permanently mounted in the engine bay.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Dave...... Thank you for the tip. I'll look into it. Also I checked out your pics. I also have an Olympic Blue 74-2.0.....Ron
Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: