Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

starting to get the 914 bug, motor Q

I always thought 914s were cool. I am starting to want one..but it'd have to be a 914/6. Now, since money is an object here....

I was thinking of building from scratch a 6cyl engine for my future 914. Why, cause I am a geek with wrenching skills.

so what is the biggest engine that will match up to a Stock 914 tranny?????

I am in no rush, in fact, a year project would be perfect.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How big do you want? 3.6 liters? 3.8 liters? There's even a 4.0 motor out there somewhere...

They will bolt up to the 914's 901-style gearbox if you use the right parts. The larger ones will also shred that gearbox in a rather small amount of time.

The general consensus is that a fresh 914 gearbox can stand up to a 3.0 motor if you don't thrash it. It is marginal with a 3.2, and not really capable of dealing with a 3.6 motor. (These are all street-type motors and street-type use. Racers have other criteria.)

With a 2.0 through 2.7 motor, all you need are the ~1969 911 flywheel (AKA the 914-6 flywheel). For the 3.0 and later motors, they changed the number of flywheel bolts, so you need an "adapter" flywheel. If you're using the DME from the 3.2 or 3.6, you will need an adapter flywheel with the DME teeth on it.

The 915 box from a 72-86 911 is a popular upgrade for those with larger motors. It holds up to them well--the factory bolted them onto 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, and 3.2 liter motors over the years. It needs work to fit (e.g., flip the ring and pinion, fabricate mounts, work out a clutch release mechanism, fake up a shift linkage). Or you can spend the $$$ on the Wevo 915 conversion kit.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 03-22-2007 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: