Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Valve adjustment gone wrong,help!!!

I have a 1973 2 litre and I was adjusting the valves on #3 and 4 cylinders when I noticed that all four accessible cylinder head nuts were less than the required torque; as were the rocker arm shaft nuts.
So when I was tightening the nuts correctly I found the nut on the rocker arm pedestal closest to #4 inlet valve was not torquing up at all.
I was hoping it was the nut and not the stud,fortunately that was the case but,when removing and replacing the stripped nut the pedestal moved outwards away from its locked position by about 1/32 to 1/16"
I figured it was just a case of retorquing the nut on the pedestal and all would be sweet,not so,I now cant get any clearance on the #4 inlet valve at all.
Is there an easy fix for this or do I have a major problem,like as in dropping the engine, yuk!!!
Any/all advice appreciated.
Geoff
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is there anyone out there who knows something about this?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have you tried double-nutting the stud then tightening it, to make sure it's fully seated and torqued?
Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mike,I have replaced the stripped nut and retorqued all four nuts to 10ft/lbs.
Now there is zero clearance on the #4 inlet valve.
Possible wear at the pedestal seat due to constant movement/hammering re the stripped nut???
I am going to try shimming under the pedestal and then torquing the nut!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Did you set the cylinder to TDC before tightening the nuts on the rocker stand?

Have you double-checked that the pushrods are seated in the lifters? A couple of the ones on my car don't like to stay put, and when I pull the rocker arms off I always have to mess with them and re-do the job a couple of times.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Dave,
Yes I rotated the engine so the rotor was at 3 O'clock!
How do I check the pushrods are in their lifters???Lifters being a locating point on the rocker arm?
I remember when I was unscrewing the stripped nut the spanner moved against the rocker arm moving it sideways marginally.That was when I noticed the pedestal moving away from its seating by a fraction.
If I released the tension on all four rocker shaft nuts would that allow me to check/ relocate the rocker arm correctly on the pushrod?(If that is the problem)
Thanks Geoff
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

you probably have some binding going on as Dave mentioned....you need to approch this as if you were building the engine and setting up this sides rockers....loosen up all the adjusting screws...replace the shafts properly with the pushrods set up correctly and then readjust the rockers...with the shaft off there's no quick way to fix it ....
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The lifters are the bits that ride against the cam down inside the motor. They have a cup in the outer end that the ball end of the pushrod fits into. But sometimes the end of the rod can get hung up on the lip of the cup, rather than seating down into it. You may be able to see that th end of the pushrod is further away from the surface of the head than those for the other cylinders.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks John and Dave,
I loosened both nuts on the half shaft and sprayed every moving part with WD40.The adjuster I screwed down to a normal operating position,I had previously screwed it right out trying to get a clearance.I then lightly tightened the rocker shaft nuts.While turning the road wheel a few times around the clock I heard a loud crack.It must have been whatever was jammed moving back into place as I now have clearance on the adjuster etc.All nuts have been retorqued correctly and all clearances on spec.
Next I will do a compression check,too soon to start the engine!
Dave that pushrod was sticking out much too far for normal,so you are right re sticking on the lip of the cup.Thanks for the tips fellers.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great...glad you got it back together!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Now I have to figure out why the engine died on me,I have been fixing my own stuff up so far.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: