Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trunk Rust (sorta) see pic

We had some trunk rust to cut out:

Hum... what are we doing with the rear clip of a 914 with NO trunk floor ???

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-111fs.jpg (17.0 KB, 477 views)
Old 08-13-2002, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow... you even cut out the dogbone!
I fear some serious tube-framing 8^)

I'm getting a plasma-cutter tomorrow nite that I can borrow for two weeks...
Sure 's gonna beat messing around with a diskgrinder

Keep them pics a-comming!

Cheers,

Jeroen
(hmmm... what else can I cut off my teener)
Old 08-14-2002, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good, now that 917 flat 12 will fit in there, hahaha

Nathan
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 08-14-2002, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Looks to me like someoneís making a trailer for race tires/track stuff!

If thatís Gemini blue I'll volunteer to test it for you, I could get a hitch on my car in no time!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Trailer it is.

I had been thinking of it for years (my background is street rods before Porsches) so... they have been making trailers for years.

Another Pelican poster said something about it, so I rounded up a dead 73 2.0 chassis and talked a friend into building it.

It will be NICE.

We are doing a dropped floor in it and will use ALL the space.

B
Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Duh!
I didn't even notice that the front half of the car was missing...

Cheers,

Jeroen
(maybe I'd better start drinking coffee again)
Old 08-14-2002, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does a trailer like that have to be registered (I assume so)? What are the laws about that?

I have a shell at my house right now - hmmm.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

In Texas and California (I spent 20 years in NorTex) its very easy to get a trailer registered. Ca. now has 5 year tags for trailers. they actually made it easier on us.

Texas will let you pull anything behind your 3/4 ton Chevy.. LOL

B
Old 08-14-2002, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sounds like a good business venture for someone (is that the plan Brad?) - there are enough non-rebuildable 914 shells around that it would be easy to get the raw material. It really is a good layout for a trailer isn't it? Suspension is out of the way so you can make a really low floor inside - this would look cool behind my Jag sedan, too!

Combine with the recent 914 pickup thread for more options!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

James,

we will document the procedure and see how long it takes to make one. We cut the targa bar off last night and will be trimming the firewall forward pieces this weekend.

All the engine shelf has been cut out as well as the battery tray.

We are thinking of running a fiberglass rear decklid to help save even more weight.

What is really cool.. is the fact that we can raise and lower the trailer by adjusting the spring perches according to weight. The other thing we will do is: trailer brakes. Its a no brainer with rotors already back there on the control arms.

I dont plan to make it a business, but DEMAND drives me. If people want them we can paint them to match anything you want (I'm partnered with a 25 year old body shop)

B
Old 08-14-2002, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

No! You have to leave the targa bar on! It needs to look like half a 914 rolling down the highway. It won't be as recognizable with the targa bar gone.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The Targa bars weighs over 45 pounds. We can replace it with a fiberglass version that weighs 6 pounds (that I sell). So far the fiberglass targa bar on our race cars fools everybody that looks at it. They think its steel. Its an exact replica of the bar.

I promise it will look like a 914 from behind.

We even have a badge for it: 914 0.0 instead of 914 2.0

B
Old 08-14-2002, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I should not have doubted you - COOL!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

And I thought I was stripping my trunk pretty far down.

LOL...

Can't wait for the follow up photos...

You need to bring one to a few P-car events.... really ruffle some feathers and do one with a 356, 911 or Boxter body and pull it behind a 914. ;-)

- Dave
Old 08-14-2002, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm getting my butt kicked by the guy in the pictures for not telling the WORLD that JASON SAMSON is building the trailer using our facilities and MY guidance.

Jason enjoys:

Plasma cutters
Sawzalls
Working for NASA (he designs cubicles)
Being anal about his 914 street/race car
Ti CHi
Water
Sleep

and.. busting Brads balls.

I should have never sent him the link to this post.

B
Old 08-14-2002, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Dave,

The plan is too bring 2 914 related *cool* things to the next 914 gathering that JASON attends. Even though he normally rides with me when heading to SmellA.

B
Old 08-14-2002, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

I'd like to have one for the next Porsche show. Maybe show up with the trunk full of parts for sale...........porsche stuff on one side, chevy parts on the other : )

John
Old 08-14-2002, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700$ with paint and fiberglass targa bar.

It takes quite a bit of time to cut it down... plus I have to buy the cars/clips/trailer tongue/wire it/.

Owner would supply wheels and tires.

Maybe 2k. We will see.

B
Old 08-14-2002, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Dman, I'm pretty sure that's an Alaska Blue Metallic car that is giving its life for this project. It was definitely a 73+ (side-shifter), and I'm pretty sure I didn't see the flanges to hook the edge of the RBBB onto, so that would make it a 73-74.

That, and metallic (not easy to see that in the pics, sadly) would make it Alaska Blue.

...Plus, it looks like my old 1.8 which was (at least close to) that color.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-14-2002, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It has to be towed by a 914 for that coordinated look. What will your tow 914 be? What is the tow capacity of a 914? I remember long ago that there used to be a trailer hitch for the 914 in the Electrdyne Porsche parts catalog.

Mike
Old 08-14-2002, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: