Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
fuel lines in tunnel

I am replacing my old fuel lines with copper tubing in the tunnel and i was wondering if there would be a problem with both lines being the same larger diameter. I'm not sure if the smaller line is to reduce pressure in the system.

Thank You............
Old 06-02-2014, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

be careful with copper in the tunnel, if not secured vibration may wear a hole in it, copper is more susceptible to this than the stock plastic tubing. You can buy Nylon fuel rated tube of the same diameters from industrial supply places like Graingers for very little cost. the nylon tube has lasted over forty years in all my 914's except where damaged by battery acid. The new plastic tube should do likewise. a much better choice over copper I think for this one reason.

you may want to keep the tubes stock sized, as that allows a more direct replacement of the rubber hose bits that terminate on the plastic tube. you still have to contend with the two different sized fuel tank fittings.

I used the Grainger plastic tubing to replace acid damaged short pieces in the engine bay, the tube in my tunnels are still original from near as I can tell.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
fuel lines

the copper lines are covered with a heavy plastic coating used in oil furnace application. The connection to the tank is with a marine fuel line which i can fit over either tube. So i guess the size of the return line does not matter..
Thanks for the quick responce..............
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I would be concerned also about work hardening with copper lines. The little bit of movement you will get could cause the copper lines to get brittle and crack.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Stainless lines are a known solution. You can use truck brake lines of the appropriate sizes, and bend them up yourself, or buy pre-bent ones from places like Tangerine Racing. I would recommend those over the stock plastic lines, which I would in turn recommend over any copper lines.

Once the tubes are in the center tunnel, they are not exactly going to be easy to inspect for problems.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Copper? NEVER, no matter what variety of copper. Same size? Probably not unless you use the larger diameter for both.

The Cap'n
Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

copper and pressureized fuel do not mix =
Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I did my tunnel lines a few years ago, and used stainless lines from Tangerine Racing - beautiful product.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Our kind forum sponsor also sell SS fuel lines for our 914s if you need another option
Porsche 914, 914-6 (1970-1976) - Fuel System - Page 1

plus you'd be supporting our sponsor

-Robert
Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlsby View Post
copper and pressureized fuel do not mix =
Very true ,as mentioned it needs to be fully supported ,everywhere, it is prone to cracking more than most think,best used for plumbing IMO.
I have a roll of 1/4inch plated steel line that I used in my speedster rep chassis,I plug welded extra support bars in the tunnel to support it just incase ,to me the best affordable solution.
The op could use quality plastic line but again it needs to be supported to stop "fretting"over time,this line is very durable but needs the inner support ferulles to prevent collapse when clamps are used on to rubber hp and return lines hoses.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
fuel lines

Thanks for all the great input on this.
I'll consider the options.......
Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: