Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Drop 914-6 eng. to do valve adjustment?

I'm debating on having a large RAT motor built or going for 911 six cylinder conversion. And was wondering if you had to drop the six every time to do a valve adjustment. Plus you have to check the valve timing (cam sprockets) at the same time, right? I'm just looking at the Pros & cons of 4 cyl. vs. 6 cyl. Thanks for any info or input.
Ralph Gosnell

74 2.0 Slooooowly working on
Old 09-28-2002, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Assuming you have the 930 lower valve covers, and some of the Alum metal has been removed from them, you can remove adj the valves w/o taking the motor out.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The cam timing is done only when you have had to remove the camshafts from the engine for some reason.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-29-2002, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Grinding or sanding off the tops of the "ribs" (just on the top rear corner on each cover, actually) on the lower valve covers (assuming they are the "turbo" aka 930 covers) will give you the clearance you need to get the lower covers off without otherwise disturbing the engine. Pretty standard practice for sixes in teeners, which I learned only recently.

ALSO, when you're building your six, keep in mind you will be wanting to get at the upper valve covers and what's under them, so route your hoses, fuel filters, wiring, etc etc accordingly.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
ALSO, when you're building your six, keep in mind you will be wanting to get at the upper valve covers and what's under them, so route your hoses, fuel filters, wiring, etc etc accordingly.
I second that. It's easy on the left side (especially if you ditch the relay board); harder on the right side (battery).

I'm particularly glad that the fan rotates in the direction it does, since I stuck my hand in there when I got distracted while setting the timing -- no blood, no foul -- just glad it was at idle and not 3k or 6k rpm!

Scott
74 914-6 2.7
Old 09-30-2002, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I know which one I would use...Thats for sure!!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 10-01-2002, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: