Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bud (guest)

I have a center console I'm installing into my '76 914. The wires coming from my console are brown, red w/ white, green w/black, black and black w/blue. how should they match up with the main wiring harness in the tunnel? My available connectors are brown, black w/red, grey, blackalso has red w/ white in same connector, and green w/ black. I have a potential match for everything except for the black w/ blue wire on my console. Also the green w/ black connector has connections in both ends. should I unplug existing lead running from the front of the car and use that connection. I assume it runs to the light on the dash for the oi; temp light. Thanks for your help

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's a good question(s). I haven't done the install myself. I opened a post in our forums. A Pelican community member may be able to answer your question.

- Nick
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Console wires--
Brown is ground.
Red/white is switched power.
Green/black is the oil temperature signal.
Black is unswitched power.
Black/blue is power for the instrument lights.

Main harness wires--
Brown is ground.
Black/red is switched power.
Red/white is also switched power.
Black is unswitched power.
Gray is hot when the headlights (and possibly parking lights?) are on.
Green/black is the oil temp signal.

You plug the black/blue into the gray. The other colors just match up.

The green/black carries the signal for the oil temperature sender. If you plug both the one in the combo gauge and the one in the center console in, both will read wrong. (Though without numbers, it will be hard to tell.) I suggest only plugging in one. You can swap out the oil temp gauge in the console for a different gauge, but it will look a little different and you will probably have to run a wire for the sensor that feeds whatever gauge you pick.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: