Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Who has full coverage?

I'm sure the Turbo and S2 drivers have full coverage on their cars, but how many n/a drivers have full coverage on their 944s?

With blue book values dropping below $3k on early 944s, it doesn't seem worth the extra money to have full coverage insurance.

I have liability only. Am I just rolling the dice?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I've had full coverage on all the cars I valued, that includes the 944 and the turbo, keep all receipts, take nice pictures and stuff. BTW, book value has been below 3k for a while as far as I know.

I just fully insured my quattro as well, after having my prelude stolen.
Ahmet
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
be sure to add medpay, its the cheapest health insurance u can buy.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I also just have liability also (with $1,000 deductible) and uninsured motorist insurance. I live in So. CA and I pay $45 a month for this type of coverage.

I am still debating if I want to do a full coverage on the car. It may not be worth it.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm full coverage and love it...
1997 Sentra (unclaimed!)
Old 10-07-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Full on my '83.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 10-07-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There is some formula that I cant remember. It has to do with the additional amount full coverage will cost over three years and then add the deductable if that figure is more than half the value of the car then dont get full coverage. It was not worth it on my 924.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have collectors insurance on my 1983 na which includes full coverage. I had to get the car appraised (it appraised for $8900.00) and then turn that into my insurance. To top it all off collectors insurance is only about a quarter of the price of regular insurance. For anyone that has a 20 year old car that they treat better than their significant other, I highly recommend looking into it.

Greg
Old 10-07-2003, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I have full coverage.

I would recommend liability only if you don't have the cash, but make sure you have Uninsured or Underinsured Property Damage. That way if someone with no insurance hits you you're not SOL.

Also, I would consider getting comprehensive coverage....just incase somebody steals your car or even vandalizes it. Put a $1000 deductible on this just to have the coverage. I have heard of many situations where the car is stolen and the insured had no idea he wasn't covered for that kind of situation.

Unless you have collectors insurance like gdjones, you will only get blue book for your car....regardless of receipts you may have!! All insurers assume a stock motor and body when calculating your premium...so don't think you will get any extra cash bcz you have receipts on file.

Lastly, if you have a good health plan, don't get Medpay!! It is expensive as hell and a complete waste of money if you have good health coverage. It is basically paying for dual coverage with no additional benefit....so don't waste your money.

Just my opinion as an insurance agent.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 10-07-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have full coverage, which reminds me I need to get it apraised sometime soon.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 10-07-2003, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have full coverage on both my cars, plus a $1-million umbrella policy (at the advice of my insurance agent). It is a good safety net, especially with driving a Porsche. You never know when someone is going to attempt to make a quick buck in case of an accident. It was good back-up insurance considering that it is only around $150 for one year of coverage.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Can you tell more about the umbrella policy? I've heard of this and am thinking of getting it. What all does it cover? Personal liability? I would like to hear about it from someone other than the agent trying to sell me the policy. What to look out for?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

full coverage, 100000\300000 stackable

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-08-2003, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Full coverage. Adds about $300/yr to my policy. Let's see, if I don't have a claim in 10 years the insurance company breaks even. Remember, it won't take much to total these cars due to the cost of parts. The Rear window comes to mind.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I have fully comprehensive insurance on my early 85. I do a lot of shopping around when it comes to insurance. As I also ride a bike I can manage on a limited mileage (7,500) classic car policy. Mine covers the cost of legal fees, breakdown recovery, new windscreen (I pay the first 45) and the cost of a hire vehicle whilst repairs are carried out. Cost 500 and I pay the first 200 if I have a prang (recoverable if it wasn't my fault).

You rarely get any of this with third party or thirdy party, fire and theft. If you're unfortunate enough to have an expensive prang you know everything is going to be taken care of for you - got to be worth the money for that kind of peace of mind.

If you read about how I narrowly escaped having my vehicle vandalized in the street a few postings back you'll appreciate the worth of full cover.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-08-2003, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Full Coverage, Blue Book Value, Collective Insurance, Uninsured or Under Insured property damage. We all speak English on this forum but different countries use different vocabulary. In SA it seems pretty much like the UK but then we were a Colony once.What is a Collective Insurance and Uninsured/Under Insured property coverage?
Full comprehensive for me, with reduced rates through the Porsche Club.
Costs me about R250/month (about $36/m) but there is an excess of about R2000 ($285) which comes out of my pocket.
Are you legally obliged to have any insurance there? Third party only is paid by everyones tax here. Balance of third party which covers damage to others property not your own is extra but cheaper than comprehensive.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Kevin, that is absolutely correct in the case of somebody else hitting you. However, it is not the case for your own coverage. Your own insurance company must know everything about the car to insure it properly.

Just a heads up if you are not telling your insurance company all there is to know of your vehicle. KBB CAN be adjusted if your car is in perfect condition....but how will your company know that when your car is stolen and scrapped??
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 10-08-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Liability, medical, comprehensive and uninsured for me. I have $0 deductible for windshield replacement and also emergency road towing ($2.50/6 months) with State Farm. The towing and windhshield has saved me a ton of money.....Right now, I am getting a new windshield due to some cracks and it'll be nice to have a new window for nothing......

Comprehensive for theft, fire, etc.....but no collision. If I wreck it, then I'll just part it out, certainly should be able to get my return on it.
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
and for more bad news from the insurance industry...http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/newswire/east/2003/10/08/33000.htm
Old 10-08-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Kevin

Your insurance company will always give you some leeway (Spellling?) when you are at fault and wreck your car. For example, if you hit a tree and they can see that the car is in mind condition, they should give you a bit more money that just blue book. It is your insurance company's obligation to place you in the EXACT same situation you were in prior to the accident!!

But if you have mods like suspension, chip, exhaust, etc etc, you need to "schedule" them. This means you send them a list of the mods and the appropriate value. Also, gettting your car appraised and taking pictures always helps.

I would do what gdjones did. He has collectors insurance on his ride. It is cheaper and is fully covered for appraised value. The problem is that you can only drive your car a certain number of miles per year...I think around 5K.

I would call your insurance company and inquire about it...without telling them if you have any mods. Just ask if my ride were stolen and I had a ton of engine work, or a ton of suspension work, what would happen
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 10-08-2003, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: