Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing 944 front windshield

I must not have printed out the section of the factory manual that gave instructions on how to remove the front windshield so I need some help. Does anyone have instructions, or a link to them for removing the front glass? I've got a replacement for $125, but I've got to pull it myself. Thanks. It's for the '86.
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Use an old guitar high "E" string (or similar) and work it back and forth around the circumfrence of the windshield, in effect sawing the old black adhesive. It stays sticky so a little effort is required to remove it after the sawing process is complete.

If your hesitant, this can be subcontracted thru a local auto glass installer.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. I had read about using a putty knife, but couldn't see how that could get on the inside edge between the window and frame. I've got some guitar string, I'll try that. I didn't think about a glass installer pulling a window for me...I'll have to check into that.
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sit in the seats and kick the old windshield out. You didn't plan on keeping it did you?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nah, I wasn't going to keep it, but I'd rather get into a fight and through someone into it instead.
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
for your '86 take it to a local glass shop if you're replacing it... shouldn't be more than $300... mine was $275 for 924 (same as pre 85˝ 944).

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Paid less than $200. Even came to my house. PPG windshield.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

this thread is right on time ...

as you can see in my signature I'm still " Breaking stuff daily "

I had a 6" crack that was fine. It was on the passenger side bottom. It didn't walk any father up the winshield, so I didn't worry too much ( put at bottom of "to do " list )
Well, the other day, I put one of those cardboard sun reflectors on the winshield.
It must have gotten very hot cuz the crack went all the way to the rearview mount location and the passenger visor bracket broke.

So now, I have a crack ALL the way up.

SoCal ...So PPG did it for $200 ???
How long did it take ??
I would have them order it if nessesary, then stop by their shop when I have free time during the day. It's hard to plan things with my job.

Is the glass OEM quality ??

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-16-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you need a windshield (Sekurit) let me know. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-16-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
this thread is right on time ...

SoCal ...So PPG did it for $200 ???
How long did it take ??
I would have them order it if nessesary, then stop by their shop when I have free time during the day. It's hard to plan things with my job.

Is the glass OEM quality ??

Don
I'll see if I still have the business card or reciept and give them a call.

I'm more than satisfied with the windshield. Has the gradient tint on the top six inches.

Took about an hour for the 83. Most of the time was scraping the old adheasive off the car.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That works. My office is in Fullerton and I'm everywere between Irvine and Glendale.

Might be best to have it done when I'm at the office...

The small crack didn't bother me, but the big crack is really gettin on my nerves.

plus gotta blow the 1st paycheck on " stuff "... Maybe my mileage check $360 for 2 weeks.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-16-2004, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: