Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

speedometer needle

I did a search, and found nothing that could help me. I got my new odometer gear, and I'll be damned if I can't get the speedo needle off. I do not want to break anything, but it seems I will need some extra force. Any special recommendations? Should I try some penetrating oil?

Also- Can I fix the occasional "speedo sticking at zero for a moment" problem that I have while I'm in here?

Thanks in Advance, help me not wreck my car. ;P
Old 07-16-2004, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

ok- the speedo needle is off now. BUt what the hell is the deal with these e-clips? Dammit, clarks garage says they are "easily removed". Mine are quite tenacious.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It just pulls off you have to get under it and pull it STRAIGHT (note emphasis).

It does require a little force.

Speedo sticking is usually electrical - clean up all of the connections.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-16-2004, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Giddyup! Its all back together. I had to clean everything. The old gear had disintegrated. I still don't get how the reset rod gets pulled (is the solonoid like a puller?), but I'll hopefully get it back in and report if I have been successful or not.

Thanks Juvy.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
the odometer is setup like a voicecoil....you give the bottom piece current and it pulls the magnet down, which resets your trip odo..i had mine apart today
Old 07-30-2004, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
To get the needle off, use two butter knives wrapped with a dish towel and put them under the center of the needle and twist.

For the e-clips, they are not "easily removed" use a pick or small screwdriver and do it on a big table where you can see where they fly

yes the reset thingy is pulled in like a starter solenoid.

good luck,

nate
Old 07-31-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: