Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Unhappy ... I just got... 'the talk'

my girlfriend asked what I did all day, so I told her i spent the day at work reading about what my oil pressure issue could be(*), and ordered a bunch of parts for a tune up. Then I got the talk.

You know, 'the talk'. it's the one where your girlfriend/wife/whatever starts off with, 'do you realize what you've spent on that car?' and ends with, 'well, i just think that if you got a new car you'd be better off'. grrrrr!

Explaining that the cost of insurance on a 20 year old Porsche is half what a new car would be, or that even including the maintenence it still costs less than a car payment on a new car would be does nothing. I swear, women aren't rational at all.

* see my other thread for oil pressure issue description
Old 07-17-2004, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Very simple, go down to your local Porsche dealer with her and ask what the monthly payment (even a lease) on the least expensive Boxter is. Just for fun call your insurance company too, I think you will avoid "the talk" and have a much higher budget for any future upgrades!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i get the "talk" frequently

"don't you think you'd be better off spending time working on your school/future than on that car?"

"don't you think you should be spending your money on something more important than a car?" (as I have thousands upon thousands of dollars tucked away in various bank accounts)
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-17-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I realize my wife and I are "older", but she has talked me out of getting rid of it. She knows where I am and as long as I don't run up stupid bills (not my style), she is OK with it.

Age and experience mellows people.

Now If I can only isolate the fuel delivery problem (thanks for the suggestions SoCal and AF)
Old 07-17-2004, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Love, True Love.

A partner that supports your interests is one that you keep.

A partner that degrades and criticises your interstes is not wholey involved in the relationship.

This works both ways too. Just remember that when you tell her that her idea of selling crocheted miniture poodles sucks.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
My gf made a handle on this forum to spy on me ...SHHH she can see us!
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 07-17-2004, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I used to get the "talk" Then I pointed out how much it cost to maintain her car - there really isn't much difference.

Of course, now that I get parts at cost doesn't hurt either...

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-17-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Quote:
You know, 'the talk'. it's the one where your girlfriend/wife/whatever starts off with, 'do you realize what you've spent on that car?' and ends with, 'well, i just think that if you got a new car you'd be better off'. grrrrr!
You don't have to marry every girl you sleep with (padre Holler, thanks)

No one that knows me is stupid enough to give me THAT talk; my car is the only thing I spend money on.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
wait wait... your "girlfriend" ??

She has no "the talk" rights in the matter. no ring, no interjection. plain and simple.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-18-2004, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Right on Brando. Don't let women run your life. There are plenty of others.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 07-18-2004, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

dump her unless she looks like Christy Brinkely did 20 years ago.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ah---one of the many reasons there is an "X" in front of any reference to my wife! And a few girlfriends aswell. But I agree with SoCal support is a two-way street and when it works both ways it is great!
Old 07-18-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

entertaining the idea

Garage
I am fortunate, my gf supports my p-car hobby. I think she buys me more memorabilia, etc than I do.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-18-2004, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Quote:
Originally posted by Harpman2
dump her unless she looks like Christy Brinkely did 20 years ago.
well, it wasn't a hugely serious argument at all, just pointing out the strange chick-ness that lets them only get attachments to new things. I dunno. Besides, if you dump a girl over a car, doesn't that prove her point?

Anyway, I do think i'll be keeping the new (to me) 914 in hiding for awhile longer... Or maybe i'll let her drive it and maybe she can gain some appreciation for the cars.

Anyone successfully converted a woman to Porsche's? I think this might be the way to go.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
When I was a single man (age 34/35) and first had my almost new 83 944 (1985) I would take all my first dates out in my beater with a heater 1977 well used Honda Accord. Think I might have been it's 37th owner.

Judging by their reaction I would either take them out a second time in the Honda or back the Almost New 944 out of the garage. When the gal knew the year and make and blue book of the car I wouldn't date her again. Of course this is Orange County Newport Beach where every gold digger comes.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Translation: "You spend too much time and money on that car. Spend it on me instead".

Get her something nice, take her out to dinner or something and it'll calm her down for a while.

Only if she's shut you off from the sex though.

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-18-2004, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Man, what a predicament. I used the "my a/c doesn't work" method. I got busted, and that was the end of that, and her. Nice ride though.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Wow...All I hear from my wife is "What is this box? or what came from UPS yesterday" Not easy to keep her at bay, but it is well worth it...!!! Wait til I tell her I want to by a new engine for it....Yikes!

88 944 Azure Blue
BB Cat Back Exhaust
All New Cooling System (I mean everything)
Throttle Cam
Boxster 5 Spoke Rims with Pirelli P Zero Nero
Blaupunkt San Fran CD Plyr/ 6 Speaker w/ Bazooka
Zimmerman XDrilled All the way around
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-18-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Here's a good aphorism to keep in mind about this kind of stuff:

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Just do like I did with my motorcycle - just show up on it. You'll probably sleep on the couch for a couple of days but she'll get over it. Just make sure you've gotten that "good lovin'" recently. . . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-18-2004, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally posted by AllPorsche944
Wow...All I hear from my wife is "What is this box? or what came from UPS yesterday" Not easy to keep her at bay, but it is well worth it...!!! Wait til I tell her I want to by a new engine for it....Yikes!
I'd have to ask her, "How did you know it was from UPS?" "Are you hiding something?" Then ***** hits the fan.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: