Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
click sound from front shock area

when i make a sudden left turn and the front-passenger shock+wheel gets loaded i hear a single 'CLICK' sound. this doesn't happen when i make a sudden right turn.

i've tried parking the car and pushing down (and bouncing) the shock area but the noise doesn't occur. it seems it only occurs when making sudden left turns.

any idea what this could be? thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the bearing on the top of the strut will do this.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
mine does the same thing. Check out your motor mounts and swaybar bushings. I bet they're shot.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
someone else was telling me it could be the ball joint. is that another possibility?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
okay i jacked up the car and got under it. found the problem is the inner sway bar bushing on the passenger side had deteriorated and fallen out. the clicking was caused by the sway bar rubbing/grinding against the metal clamp.

apparantly this is a common problem with 944's because of the location of the power steering reservoir, it leaks power steering fluid in that area which accelerates this problem.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Ball joint would be my first guess and worst nightmare, if they snap.. you're ghost riding.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Also during an oil change, it's common to drip oil from the filter onto those, so I don' tknow if that would affect the wear on that bushing much. When you replace yours, take pics if you can yaay for pictures
Old 08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
ah yeah, the oil filter does lie directly above this area. i didn't take any photos (it's a pretty simple procedure) but i did learn that you have to remove the mounts on both sides of the swaybar in order to replace one side, because the whole thing is one solid piece of metal.

pelican does have a detail blowup diagram;
Old 08-13-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
btw, can anyone post a photo or a diagram of exactly where the ball joint is located and how to check if it's okay?

i know it's on the control arm, but where?

also, i've read/heard that if the ball joint goes bad you'll have to replace the whole control arm (like $700 just for the part). is this true? why can't you just replace the ball joint?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
On earlies, you can replace the abll joints separately, but on laters you have to replace the whole control arm.

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqca.html

Quote:
How do you know if you need to replace your ball joints/control arms?

There is a rubber boot that encloses the joint; inspect the boot for cracks or other damage. Another sign is clunking in the left or right front suspension; it starts off very subtle but will get worse as time goes on. I damaged my left ball joint when I hit a pot hole, it hit real hard!

You can also check for free-play in the ball joint. Use a large pair of pipe wrench pliers (commonly called "channel lock pliers"). Put the upper jaw on the steering knuckle tab into which the ball stud is inserted. Put the lower jaw of the pliers on the underside of the control arm. Compress the pliers. If you see more than roughly a millimeter of play, the ball joint requires replacement. (Many manufacturers publish specifications for allowed play in ball joints. Unfortunately Porsche does not.)

You cannot measure fatigue or damage to the ball joint stud. It would be possible to check it using a dye penetrant test, but this is beyond most shade tree mechanics' abilities. The only realistic approach to this problem is probably automatic replacement as some service interval, perhaps 100,000 miles for street-only cars, 50,000 miles for track cars.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: