Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to PhillysMostWntd
Speed/Reference Sensor Question

anyone know what the part number for this is? i cant seem to find any information on it.

while im writing this, i heard a while back about cleaning the auxilary air valve with gunk out (any cleaner i guess) that it will help out in a few areas.. any experience or advise on this one?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pelican does not list a speed or reference sensor in their on line catalog. I need to get a new reference sensor because a PO destroyed the plug on the end of the sensor and just taped it up. It is no longer mounted in its bracket. Are the reference and speed sonsor the same part number? Do a Yahoo search you will find a speed/reference sensor

JimTR/944

My TR4 and TR6 have gone to bed for the winter so I am driving my 944.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The sensor plugs don't have to be in the bracket to work. As long as they stay together and not come apart. Agreed they don't look good but at $80 each I'm not too particular.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
944.606.115.00.....if for an 84 na

Carb cleaner....Attach a wire to a DC source and disconnect the plug and hose. 3 pin iirc one grnd, 2 -/+, connect the hot lead to the neg pin and ground then allow the valve to open/close then reverse the polarity, other pin and it returns the valve to the original position. Do this several times until the valve moves freely/smoothly. You should be able to hear it open. Use the cleaner as you work the valve.

Last edited by 924Sman; 01-01-2006 at 05:17 AM..
Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There are three types of idle control valves. The early ones have a heated element that expands and closes the gate valve. Actually a knife valve. The later 944's have an active valve (more of a servo really) that can be driven open and closed by placing one lead on the #2 pin and a lead on either the #1 pin or #3 pin to open and close the valve.

Then there is the third kind that is found on the 944S's and 968's that is kind of a servo and kind of a spring valve. Has a voice/solenoid coil in it that is driven with a variable current that constantly adjusts the air valve against a spring.

All can be cleaned with solvents. Carb and brake cleaner, WD-40, PB Blaster. Just don't dunk it into a carb cleaning tank! No full immersion.

The 924S has the second type as do most of the later 944's. Note this is one of the differences when transplanting a later DME and AFS into an early car. However since the power for the early idle control valve comes off of the fuel pump contacts of the DME relay the wiring to the early DME plug is non existant. Which means you can not use the later idle control valve in the early 944's with out changing the harness. But you can use the AFS and the DME.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: