Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Jacking Points Clarified

Okay, I've seen the image that has been posted about on the correct places to raise my car from. Unfortunately, because of the small size of the image, it doesn't seem all that clear on the specific point to jack from. I'm mainly talking about the rear points, in front of the rear tires.

I took the below image just a few minutes ago and wanted to clarify that the area marked in green was the proper location, and that the area with the red "X" was not. It may sound like a silly question, but I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry.

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Oh, one more question...

I've read that there seems to be 2 camps as to whether or not it is safe to jack the entire rear-end at once, using the transmission as a jacking point. Some fols do it all the time, and have done it that way for years. My own local Porsche mechanic and his crew lift from the case.

The other side of this debate says that it is too much of a risk to damaging the tranny case that prevents them from using this method.

My question here is simply, if one were to lift from the tranny case, using a hockey puck, or some other similar type of cushion, where is the best place on the case to lift from...directly between the axles, further back, etc...?

Randy
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Ive always jacked mine right under the center of the case, between the axles Never had a problem
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Thanks, Vinny!

I'm working on doing a repair job on my blown cat and found I need more room underneath to really do the job right.

I have the front tires up on ramps and wanted to lift the rear end up to place my SUV jack stands underneath the torsion bar end caps.

Guess I'll look for a puck at WalMart on the way home from work toomorrow and will go from there.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I have jacked from the rear off the tranny and used the torsion bar tubes for jack stands. I typically jack from the center point on the sides.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jacking points

Seems everybody has their own method. I thought about using the front ramps and torsion bar caps. I think my floor jack under the diff case between the axles will roll the car off the ramps because the jack does not lift straight up.
Any thoughts about this?

Maybe the jack rolls on the floor?

Last edited by jackrussell; 04-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Maybe I answered my own question.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Semper drive!

Garage
Jack, I've also considered the idea that maybe the car would roll back off the ramps. Looking at it though, I really don't feel that will end up being the case.

First of all, the way the car is sitting on the ramps now, even with the parking brake off, it does not tend to roll to back side of the ramps. Also, there is a little, built-in, mini-chock on my ramps that the tire would have to roll up over before it started rolling down.

Last, I planned to place my wheel chocks behind the back tires as I raised the rear-end, and adjust them accordingly, if needed, while lifitng the rear.

I really don't think rolling backwards will be an issue here. I'll let you know!

Randy

Last edited by rcecale; 04-15-2009 at 07:15 AM..
Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I stick a chock behind the front tires on the ramps. I have a built in chock too, but still like an extra piece of security.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I always use the point marked with the red "X" in the second picture. It seems pretty sturdy, so I don't know why it would be a problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Okay, here's it goes...

Front tires up on ramps, moved as far forward as I could. Jack underneath the transmission. chocks behind the rear tires, parking brake released. Up she goes, real slow, just in case. No "noticeable" movement...or so I thought.

Front tires had worked themselves toward the back of the ramp platform, resting on the mini-chocks (bumps) at the rear of the platform. It seems the car moved backward about 1.5 inches or so.

Okay, not a problem, jack goes underneath the front crossmember. Raise the front just enought to ease them off the ramps. A few taps on the ramps, pushing them toward the rear of the car. Front tires are now posotioned toward the front of the ramps again, and the jack is lowered.

Looks pretty secure to me!

Randy
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: