Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kool

Garage
Need home remedies

Ok, not 928 related...but me related...

I am SICK as a gutter dog! I have had bronchitis, pneumonia, and sinus infections before, so I am pretty sure what I have....

I have still been working, and am miserable...if I have no improvement over the weekend ( I'm a tough old bird)... I'll give in and go see my doc buddy ( who is already aware if my condition and knows my stubbornness and aversions to meds all too well).

I thought it would be fun to see what home remedies you guys have had passed down to you through the ages...

1969 model male

Symptoms : 102 fever, chills, dry cough all day and evening..

Congested mucus filled coughs in the morning...frequent bathroom trips all day,

Freezing and shivering all night, but with the night sweats.

Home remedies please.... I'll start with one I was told today...

2-shots of whiskey (preferably Rock n rye), a tablespoon of honey and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, slightly warmed...

Mods, please delete if you deem this too lame...I'll probably pass out from fever in a couple hours anyway....

Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cup of tea with honey and shot of whiskey.
Smear mentholatum on your chest.
Couch and remote.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
+1

In bed right now pumped full of Advil
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
FYI, that is why they invented antibiotics bro. Get to a Dr and get some meds. Advil is a bandaid. I almost died of Pneumonia as a kid, was in an O2 tent for a week. Not an illness to try and fight like a common cold. Get yer arse to a Dr. ASAP.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Got my flu shot yesterday ...

Hot chicken soup, I go with cheap ramen and two or three packets of drive thru hot sauce.
Hot tea, with honey but no milk.
Guaifenesin the expectorant in Robotussin you can buy as pills without the yuck taste, max dose with plenty of water.

Don't dick around, flu is dangerous, take any Rx the doc will give you. I recall something I think called Z tabs, Generic Name: azithromycin (a ZITH roe MYE sin)
Brand Name: Azithromycin 3 Day Dose Pack, Azithromycin 5 Day Dose Pack, Zithromax, Zithromax TRI-PAK, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zmax
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche 928 Fanatic!

My answer to almost everything is to "Use more PB Blaster", but your results may vary....
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Kool

Garage
Snicker.....I'm thinking aerokroil instead....

Thanks guys.....the mrs. Getting me something in the morning....Funny, I had the craving for ramen soup all day....
1982 5sp resto project
Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Ron old buddy, if you were a dog I would call in some meds for you.
The boys are right, don't mess around, persistent fever like that in an adult means you are doctor sick.
If non productive cough then likely viral and antibiotics like zpac won't do much but I would take it anyway because it could be bacterial by now.
Stay hydrated and take a day off from work, your clients will understand.
Chicken soup is actually anti-viral.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Nothing like getting medical advise on an internet Porsche forum....I'm sure you'll be better soon. good luck

An Emergency C drink, Lipton Extra noodle soup, a BJ then some Nyquil.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
A BJ ??

Not sure I can convince the wife that is "what the Dr. Ordered". But I'll give it a shot!
1982 5sp resto project
Old 12-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirtekHVAC View Post
A BJ ??

Not sure I can convince the wife that is "what the Dr. Ordered". But I'll give it a shot!
I'm serious, I'll bet there's not a guy on here that can stay awake with a belly full of warm soup and Nyquil after a BJ. You will never sleep better. ... My friend who's a Dr swears buy it. (just don't tell your wife it's in physics)
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Pete does this work if you are not sick?
I'd like to try it as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Kool

Garage
Lmao....she did not go for it...
Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
sick too...on my death bed since last sunday. ugh!!! the flu is a monster!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Intake as much vitamin C and Zinc as you can. Those are really good at boosting your immune system.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

My medical journal, published in London in 1712, recommends a mixture of ground dried dog dung and honey to cure "cough and consumption". And for the fever "the patient should be bled hardily from the jugular". Maybe I should get an update? And how does one not bleed hardily from the jugular? Sorry guys, not to make light of your current pain, just had to toss in a bit of levity....get well quick, my last cough lasted 4 weeks, maybe it was the generic dog dung that didn't work well?
1956 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),1957 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),,1985.5 Porsche 944 (sold),1955 Thunder Ranch 550 Spyder (sold), 1955 Outlaw 356 Speedster (currently in build out), 1984 Porsche 928S (White), 1984 Porsche 928S (Red)
Old 12-20-2013, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
928 Junkie

Garage
Sorry you feel like crap buddy. All of my home remedies are more on the preventative side. Too late for hand sanitizer and chewable vitamin C. Being in and out of the car all day, every day, regardless of the weather (like you) requires A LOT of preventative measures.

Drink a lot of Gatorade and mega dose on some vitamin C.

I hope if you woke up this morning worse than you felt last night you will take aggressive measures, including a DR visit to feel better. You can take an hour or so to get some meds and then go back to work.
1985 928S, auto(sold)1978 Euro 5-speed (found another home)1983 928 s 5 sp short shifter black/black (sold)1982 928 auto (sold)
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
80 928

Garage
Only Bloodwork can determine whether it's viral, or bacterial. From what you have descibed, it sounds like a virus that made you susceptible to a bacterial infection. Do not waste any time, get some strong antibiotics ASAP. My wife almost died from those very symptoms!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Take ibuprofen to reduce fever. A persistent cough needs to be checked by a doctor. If it's viral, most likely you'll just have to wait it out. If it's bacterial and the doctor thinks it's deveioped into an infection, you'll be getting a prescription for antibiotics. Alcohol is not a remedy. Keep hydrated (water, juice, soda, coffee, or whatever non-alcoholic drink floats your boat). Don't look up your symptoms on Webmd, they'll scare the crap out of you.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtekhvac View Post
a bj ??

Not sure i can convince the wife that is "what the dr. Ordered". But i'll give it a shot!

lmao!!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: