Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASair View Post
hope you never get in an accident, those long members look pretty fragile w those mods.
I have taken that into account, added in some extra angle steel on the inside of the runners. After the engine is mounted i will be adding in some steel tubing for added strength.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Update, Using a stage four 6 puk clutch disk from a Mazda RX8 with the Audi 2.7L Turbo Dual mass flywheel and Pressure plate. The Mazda Disc has the same size splines and shaft size as the 944, and only cost $40 to $60 for the Disc,versus $125 to $300. Will be using a Spec Push style throw out bearing. Lindsey Racing has the whole set up I will be purchasing. Measured everything out and it will fit nicely in the 931 Bellhousing I am using. Will post of pictures of it all set up this December.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Updates!!

Hi All, Firewall is Completed and Battery tray fixed and sealed. Next will be seam sealing and POR15 for all exposed panels. Steering bearing has been moved back 2 inches and the sleeve around the steering column has been pressed back *too clear the Cylinder head to prevent from it vibrating on the metal*. engine is in and now time for Mounts, Oil Pan. cross-member and placing the Brake master and clutch Master. I wll Post up more pictures as i Progress.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Righthand mount

Righthand Mount complete. Lefthand will be finished tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Engine Mounted!

Audi V8 offically mounted! Next time i have time off. Steering rack construction will begin. Then Oil pan. Oh and the Bonnet fits!
Enjoy and have a happy new year to all

Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

nice job
A ISO/TS16949 certified OE manufacturer of Auto Parts since 2004. Producing fuel line, oil cooler, water outlet/thermostat assembly, coolant water pipes, all kinds of tube/pipes. Website & Page: www.fb.com/021auto
Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsontsui View Post
nice job
Thank you very much!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Little update

Blasted thd intake Manifold and cam covers. Then painted them, got to have fun with your projects.

Next i will be reworking the stock harness.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good. Going to keep it direct-injected?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewombat View Post
Looking good. Going to keep it direct-injected?
Thank you. I am keeping the injection, sadly this model 4.2 is not the direct injection series. Out of an 2001 A8L.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Well, no kick at 5500rpms but at least you won't have to clean the carbon off the valves every 30K-40K miles. It'll still run like a bat out of hell though.

A little friendly advice if I may?? Those welds probably will hold, but if you want to try again it doesn't take but a couple of minutes to grind them back about 50% and just go over them. You're using a MIG machine?

The vertical welds you want to start at the uppermost point and weld downwards in a frown pattern (upside down "U"s) making good wall contact. This will hold the puddle where you want it instead of it dripping down on you.

Joining the welds along those sides you just do small circles, nice a slow with some overlap. I work as a full-time fabricator and make mistakes just like everyone else does. Nothing a grinder can't fix and a different approach until I'm happy with it. Can't wait to see this thing run!

Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

that is some nice high quality welding, Wombat! Kudos

Last edited by CASair; 04-27-2018 at 06:46 AM..
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks CAS. I suck at TIG at this point in my life. I'll get there though.

Golten, are you going to use the original mufflers? My RS4 had the sport button with valves that would open the muffler and change the exhaust note. My daughter was 1 at the time and that rumble would put her right to sleep.

The Dodge hellcats have a similar setup, but it's purely mechanical. Not quite sure how it works but at a certain backpressure (or something) it opens the muffler.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks CAS. I suck at TIG at this point in my life. I'll get there though.

Golten, are you going to use the original mufflers? My RS4 had the sport button with valves that would open the muffler and change the exhaust note. My daughter was 1 at the time and that rumble would put her right to sleep.

The Dodge hellcats have a similar setup, but it's purely mechanical. Not quite sure how it works but at a certain backpressure (or something) it opens the muffler.
Thanks for the input Wombat, I do appreciate it. i will be going back over everything and cleaning it up. And checking all the weld.
Im not sure of what muffler im going to use yet. Maybe just straight pipe it :-)
Old 05-01-2018, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Another Audi 4.2, stuffed in an old beetle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka2qcp1JXwY
Old 05-04-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Very very COOL! Thank you for sharing!, That Beetle is AWESOME! Twin turbos and all!

Quote:
Another Audi 4.2, stuffed in an old beetle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka2qcp1JXwY
Old 05-05-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Test fit

Old 05-13-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Not too bad a fit it looks like!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: