Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo upgrade questions

Hi guys! Just joined your forum and have a few questions that Im hoping someone can help me with.
I have a 1977 930 chasis with a 1983 3.3 euro turbo and want to add some power so here are my questions:
1) How difficult is it to replace the stock turbo with something larger? Suggestions? K27? Garrett? Is this something a "lay person" can do?
2) What about going with another wastegate spring (1.0 or 1.2)? How difficult is that to do? Lay person?
3) Im getting some chatter from my clutch and am going to replace. Suggestions on brand?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!! Mike
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Mike, Not to sound like a butt..... but you really need to use the search engine on this one... This topic has been covered numerous times.... spend a good week or two on the reading...and then if that doesn't answer your questions...come back and then post... as far as a turbo, what has been doen to your motor?? is it stock, does it have the stock intercooler? if so, I would stay with the stock spring in the WG until you have upgraded a few things... It will take awhile to read most of the posts...but you will learn alot... its out there...all you have to do is search....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I wish it were that simple but the search function doesnt appear to be working.
I tried searching before I posted anything and it continues to tell me that Im not using the minimum 3 word search even though I was well over 3 words (ie how do you replace a turbocharger? .....wastegate spring?
Try it and Im sure you will see what I mean.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Hmm, using the advanced search mode, I put in the word....turbo, and got over 500 posts that i could look through....

When i first got on these boards, I didnt even search... all I did was look at every post in the 911 and the 930 forums... took me about a week, but found most of the treads that i was interested in...and learned allot....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Also, visit the forums over on Rennlist as well...most people are a member of both, but there is some tech posts over there...that are not on here...and vise versa....
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Changing the spring is easy, but it's easiest if you remove the WG and use a press to compress the top and spring so you can bolt it back together.

Changing the turbo's easy. Imagine Auto has the K27's which are pretty much a bolt on and there's a company that sells Garretts with the K27 type exhaust inlet so it's an easier install, but I don't know the company. Maybe someone else can provide a link.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The K27 turbo's
http://www.imagineauto.com/turbos.htm
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael930t View Post
I wish it were that simple but the search function doesnt appear to be working.
I tried searching before I posted anything and it continues to tell me that Im not using the minimum 3 word search even though I was well over 3 words (ie how do you replace a turbocharger? .....wastegate spring?
Try it and Im sure you will see what I mean.
That's because you are using two letter words in the search.

"how do you replace a turbocharger"

Instead, use "how replace turbocharger" and you'll end up with this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?searchid=775054

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 12-23-2007 at 12:14 PM..
Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

go with a garrett gt-35 or gt-40, a brian leask adj. WUR, and 1.2 bar of boost. you'll be happy!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
1.2bar boost is too high. Typical recommendation is no more than 1.0bar for a street car with a large intercooler. Even 1.0bar can be detrimental if the A/F ratios are off. Engine life also directly correlates to boost levels.

The easiest turbos to replace stock are the K27 series, none are bolt on, other brands may take more modification to fit.

If you are going to run higher than stock boost it is good insurance to add a larger than stock intercooler and verify your A/F ratios are in good shape. Also run the best gas you can buy.
Once you have your A/F ratios you can decide if you need an adjustable WUR or any other CIS mods/adjustments.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I have 10k hard miles on 1.2 bar, no problems as of yet. but if I blow it up I'll post the pics here first. lol
Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Guy here in UK blew his up at 1bar. AFR's were in the 12's too...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
1.2bar boost is too high. Typical recommendation is no more than 1.0bar for a street car with a large intercooler. Even 1.0bar can be detrimental if the A/F ratios are off. Engine life also directly correlates to boost levels.

The easiest turbos to replace stock are the K27 series, none are bolt on, other brands may take more modification to fit.

If you are going to run higher than stock boost it is good insurance to add a larger than stock intercooler and verify your A/F ratios are in good shape. Also run the best gas you can buy.
Once you have your A/F ratios you can decide if you need an adjustable WUR or any other CIS mods/adjustments.
+1 what he said...
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-26-2007, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Guy here in UK blew his up at 1bar. AFR's were in the 12's too...
Nathan,

Black 930 with a 965 I/C, melted a piston and cylinder on the track by any chance?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Nathan,

Black 930 with a 965 I/C, melted a piston and cylinder on the track by any chance?
...or was it the guy who was chasing an exaggerated hp claim and burnt it up while trying to verify his A/F ratios?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-26-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
...or was it the guy who was chasing an exaggerated hp claim and burnt it up while trying to verify his A/F ratios?
Is this apropos of anything in particular?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
There is nothing truly "bolt on" for these engines. Headers and Intercooler come the closest, but a turbocharger? Have heard this question posed so many times on both boards. Slap on a bigger turbo------ BLAM-O! Instant horsepower. Don't do it. Do your research and if you haven't done these types of mods, have someone who has done it, do it for you. Read up--- study Corky Bell's book on Turbocharging so you'll have the fundamentals down.

There is nothing worse than a "holed piston", except for maybe a holed wallet.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

1.2 bar on a CIS motor? It will last as long as you drive is a couple thousand miles a year and hit full boost 20% of the time. Still I would venture to say you would be lucky to get 6K out of that setup. That simply is to much boost.

As far as bolt on, most take some thinking out of the box but are not that difficult. The biggest issue with the turbo is getting the bracket to fit and there are several ways to do that. Cutting, welding, over sizing the holes or some just leave it off.

I would skim the boards for various post and do some research to see what meets your goals specifically in terms of drivability and HP goals. Slapping on parts is easy and a lot will sell you what they have on the shelf as opposed to listing to what your goals are.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Nathan,

Yep. Were you there?

I was gonna go in my 3.2 but the weather wasn't great and I had a rotten cold...

Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Yep. Were you there?
No, I peered at the car on the ramp whilst Paul was working on it before it blew up, and Ray *****ed in his initimitable fashion about having yet another blown-up 930 littering up the place when I called to ask if he wanted my spare set of 3.3 rods for the 930 that span the rod bearing or if I should just leave them in the car when I put in on the boat...

Quote:
I was gonna go in my 3.2 but the weather wasn't great and I had a rotten cold...
Yeh, I had that cold. I haven't even considered going to the track for months. Weather has been totally pants as you know, and it's been difficult enough keeping the car straight on the street at times. That asymmetric LSD? Worth every darn penny...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: