Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

would not start any help?

I have not driven the car in a while until last weekend. charged the battery and started with no problem. last night I crank and crank and nothing. I got spark but just would not start. What else should I be looking for. Do the fuel pump relay go bad w/out warning. I don't smell gas from all that cranking. could it be the plugs are wet with gas? What else could it be?

Jeff
Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had a similar issue on my '87 930 some weeks back. Had started it after a long winter hibernation( live in Toronto, Ontario). Went to start it again two weeks later, crankked well , but no start. Smelled gas, so no problem with fuel delivery. Went to go through the CDI troubleshooting sequence, removing the first relay and jumping terminals # 87 & #30 . Heard lots of buzing sounds in engine compartment.........figured" what the h*##, try to start it again. Replaced the relay, turned the key and it started just fine...no problems since.
Either the relay was not making good contact, or I had some other electrical gremlin that was rectified by jumping the two terminals.
It is frustrating that I don't know the exact cause, but, it runs!
I have the troubleshooting procedure in PDF, if you want ( PM me if required ).
Old 04-26-2008, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have no idea which relay is it to the fuel pump. Thing is I do not smell any gas and that why I think the fuel pumps are not function. Its one of the res relay in the back? I have no idea where terminal 87 and 30 is. Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
they are in front fuse box (in the trunk). Look at the label to see which relay is for fuel pump but it's usually red one. by jumping the terminal you are by-passing relay to see if its faulty relay or not. Check the bottom of relay and you will see the numbers.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There are 2 fuel pump relays up front.
They are the the 2 rearmost red ones, closest to the windsheild.
The fuel pump fuse is the sixth one from the rear of the fuse box.

hth.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Same problem 1978 911 SC w/3.2 conversion.
- Checked relay with 87a/30 pins - no power to relay at all
There is no power to fuse #6 which I believe is the fuel pump power source.

Where does the power come to the fuse block for the fuel pump??

I will do more electrical testing tomorrow, after more research on line.

Is there a power disconnect in the engine compartment that shuts down the fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for the help,

AND, I don't mean to highjack Jeff's thread - just seems like we may have the same problem and he hasn't tested his relay yet.

Roy

Arizona Ed, etc...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Are all red relay the same? If so, I will just plug another one from somewhere this way I will know if that one is bad or not.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff,
Try the horn relay - it is black but has the same pin configuration.
I just placed a thin wire between pins 87a and 30 to make a direct connection for power to the fuel pump --- BUT, this did not fix the problem.
I checked with a meter the power to the fuel pump fuse with the ignition switch on and found NO power to the fuse -- so, the problem/failure is further up the power line to the fuse, maybe the ignition switch -- will check that today.

Also, I will run power directly to the fuel pump to check that it operates correctly. In addition, I will start checking the electronic ignition in the rear of the car to see if there is a relay there that has failed -- or a loose wire connection.

Our ( son's car) failure occurred after several track sessions - the car is track only - and happened on the cool down lap and into the paddock.

The very first step was checking for fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line at the filter (new filter also) and turning on the ignition = no fuel flow.

Found the problem - TDC pin on the flywheel broken off flush - must have gotten a rock inside the bellhousing - repaired by Indi ( Don Jackson in Phoenix)

Hopefully you just have a relay failure

Let me know what you find, TIA...

Roy

Last edited by Sboxin; 05-03-2008 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-28-2008, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Fuel pump will not run with the ignition on unless the CIS air metering flap is pushed down. Alternatively you could unplug the electrical connection to it to make them come on when the ignition is on.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 05-03-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think 12 volts goes to the fuse and 2 red relays in the front before it goes back to the motor console, but I'm thinking that because the battery is up there too.
Anyway, it may go to the ignition switch and then the back before going through the red relays up front, I've never tried to trace it... yet.

If you havn't already checked, the wire going to the overboost sensor has to be making a ground either through the overboost sensor or by grounding it somewhere else.
If you have an aftermarket intercooler and the overboost sensor is screwed into the intercooler, be sure the intercooler has a good ground.
If it isn't grounded than the yellow overboost protection relay on the rear console will not let the 12 volts go to the fuel pumps.
After thinking about it it would make sense that 12 volts goes through that circut in the back before going to the fuse and relays in the front, but I'm just guessing. It may just send a ground interuption signal to the front relays.

Good luck. Electrical problems are usually tougher to diagnose than mechanical problems because you can't see it.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think Nathan is right. I cranked it yesterday, and I get gas spilling or should I say dripping out of my muffler area. I think the metering plate is stuck. Any idea what cause it to get stuck like that? I'll try to tear into it tomorrow and report back to you guys. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: